U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Century Link vs Dish Vs Direct TV vs Cox
Century Link 4 7.84%
Dish 6 11.76%
Direct TV 23 45.10%
Cox 18 35.29%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 03:24 PM

436 posts, read 453,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSa|nt View Post
Looking at HughesNet Plans and Pricing, High Speed Rural Satellite Internet it appears to be WAY over priced. What city are you located in? I'd call the competition to compare pricing to see how it compares to what price they are offering you (and speed).

There is no reason for anyone in the US to have less than 15Mbps...that should be the bottom of the basket in terms of options in my opinion. These companies are milking people like cattle until they shrivel up and have nothing left. >_<
North Las Vegas.

We stopped in at walmart to buy hats & gloves and ran into a Cox kiosk so we are getting that for ISP. HughesNet had way too many rip-off reports. Cox is $48 per mo & no installation fee, no deposit, no contract & a 30 day free trial. Best part: can install tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 03:32 PM

754 posts, read 1,038,316 times
Just make sure your plan is a set $48 from here on in and not just for the next 6 months.

If it is an "introductory plan" be sure to mark on the calender when it expires and goes to a higher rate. Then call up a couple of days before the "introductory plan" expires and tell them that you are going to cancel. They will likely have another "special rate" for you at that time.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 PM

754 posts, read 1,038,316 times
Looking at the Cox offer looks like it is only $48 for 3 months then goes up to over $62 a month after that.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 PM

436 posts, read 453,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Looking at the Cox offer looks like it is only $48 for 3 months then goes up to over $62 a month after that.
The rate is locked in for 12 months. After that the rep says it will increase about $10.. I will put an alert in my iCal to call a month before expiration. I do like the no contract feature. HughesNet wanted a 12 month contract & a ridiculous amount of money. We will reevaluate Cox when it comes near the 12 months. I also liked the fact that the Cox rep didn't have a long-winded promotional spiel; just the facts

Old 12-08-2013, 10:57 PM

32 posts, read 62,946 times
Sat is a joke, hands down. I never even heard of HughesNet. It's probably another one of those companies that keep changing their name in order to hide from bad reviews/rep.

As much as I hate to say it, Cox is the best option at the moment. I really hope Centurylink comes through with it's promise to install and provide gigabit internet packages and compete against Cox all over Vegas.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:35 AM

371 posts, read 810,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Any new tract in LV should offer Cox. Which is the best choice for internet. Satellite broad band is not competitive.
Centennial hill, Aliante, Southern highland they all got cox right?

So sounds like cox is the best for internet and dishnetwork for tv. maybe I will get that or just get everything cox

Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
Centennial hill, Aliante, Southern highland they all got cox right?

So sounds like cox is the best for internet and dishnetwork for tv. maybe I will get that or just get everything cox
Don't forget OTA. I won't ever say that enough. You don't need to get a paid package unless are a major fan of any sport outside of football, you just HAVE to watch a few channels only available on cable or just really need to have the movie channels instead of netflix o_O lol.

I get the following channels OTA for free: http://www.city-data.com/forum/28353375-post51.html

So what works best is make a list of the channels you can't live without, then subtract the ones that appear in my list and whatever is left is what you are paying for. So if 3-4 channels are left, then you are paying TONS of money just to be able to get 3-4 channels....plus dozens or hundreds of other channels you could care less about.

Until they offer TRUE ala cart channel choices that are affordable and sensible, I will forever be an advocate of free OTA TV

Old 12-09-2013, 05:16 PM

893 posts, read 1,427,169 times
By KRISTY TOTTEN
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Superfast residential Internet hit west and northwest neighborhoods on Thursday.
CenturyLink Las Vegas launched its 1 Gbps fiber Internet, which is seven times faster than past offerings.
Previously, the fastest residential Internet speed available in Las Vegas was 150 megabits per second through Cox Communications. The highest speed offered by CenturyLink was 40 Mbps.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
By KRISTY TOTTEN
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Superfast residential Internet hit west and northwest neighborhoods on Thursday.
CenturyLink Las Vegas launched its 1 Gbps fiber Internet, which is seven times faster than past offerings.
Previously, the fastest residential Internet speed available in Las Vegas was 150 megabits per second through Cox Communications. The highest speed offered by CenturyLink was 40 Mbps.
News by press release. No meat. No locations. Still appears a promotion with no substance.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:28 AM

Ya, I don't see it on their website. When it is shown as a select-able option and the price is right, I'm there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas