U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Century Link vs Dish Vs Direct TV vs Cox
Century Link 4 7.84%
Dish 6 11.76%
Direct TV 23 45.10%
Cox 18 35.29%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:16 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,222,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
Centennial hill, Aliante, Southern highland they all got cox right?

So sounds like cox is the best for internet and dishnetwork for tv. maybe I will get that or just get everything cox
The whole valley gets Cox (fiber network, they dug up half of LV to put it in) and dish is all over the valley too. (Slower for internet, though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 AM

442 posts, read 490,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The whole valley gets Cox (fiber network, they dug up half of LV to put it in) and dish is all over the valley too. (Slower for internet, though)
I got Cox for internet and had to buy my own router. Something the Rep didn't tell me when I signed up.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 AM

472 posts, read 534,462 times
Cox just jacked up my mid-tier internet to $62; for reference, I used to pay about $50 a year ago.... then $55 and now $62

Old 12-10-2013, 10:44 AM

10,869 posts, read 14,175,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvette8 View Post
I got Cox for internet and had to buy my own router. Something the Rep didn't tell me when I signed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
Cox just jacked up my mid-tier internet to $62; for reference, I used to pay about $50 a year ago.... then $55 and now $62
Again, see post #3. Oligopolies suck.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 AM

32 posts, read 65,365 times
I have 10 toes...it really pisses me off >_< .....oh wait...wrong rant topic, I pay $73.99 for internet...I was paying more around 60-62 a year ago....Cox is having a blast MILKING it. Century needs to hurry else we will forever be victims of the system :/

When/IF Century does release 1Gb account access across the valley, and the price is right..either 1) Everyone is going to switch over, or 2) Cox is going to release a MASSIVE upgrade and try to compete price-wise, giving some of us a reason to stay. I just see a LOT of talk coming from them but no signs of actual experience/reviews from customers or options available on their site....just talk.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:40 AM

10,869 posts, read 14,175,332 times
There will be no price competition. Cox's high-speed system will cost EXACTLY what Century's system costs.

Your local internet provider: "You won't like it, and there isn't another choice."

Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 PM

Yep :/

Old 12-16-2013, 05:13 AM

371 posts, read 832,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
By KRISTY TOTTEN
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Superfast residential Internet hit west and northwest neighborhoods on Thursday.
CenturyLink Las Vegas launched its 1 Gbps fiber Internet, which is seven times faster than past offerings.
Previously, the fastest residential Internet speed available in Las Vegas was 150 megabits per second through Cox Communications. The highest speed offered by CenturyLink was 40 Mbps.

few days ago I went to see some houses in DR horton solamar cove (centennial hills), saw a centurylink truck and the guy said they have 1G in that area, asked him how much but he doesn't know.

OTA how's the video quality vs cable/dish? 1080p OTA? do you lose signal when it's very windy, heavy rain etc. who do I call to install the antenna on the roof?

Old 12-16-2013, 11:34 AM

1080P for OTA isn't bad at all. 100% comparable as long as the channel is coming in. What I use is an amplified antenna and you could always re-amplify it using an in-line amplifier if it's just a few channels that kind of come in but sometimes don't. Install it as high as possible, given I never recommend an antenna being the "highest point" of your house do to obvious reasons. You shouldn't have to hire anyone to do it for you as long as you have a ladder and a plan (plan = where the coax will feed and at what point in the line you want to include the amplifier, preferably inside. You would make a trip to Radio Shack or Frys to pick up additional Coax cable and maybe some coax barrels (small little coupler than connects two pieces of coax to extend it). Then make sure the coax coming from it is going into your house's "main" feed so it can be spread out to all TV's in the house. This is usually found by tracing down where the cable line leading to the house is plugged into.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:51 PM

907 posts, read 1,488,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
few days ago I went to see some houses in DR horton solamar cove (centennial hills), saw a centurylink truck and the guy said they have 1G in that area, asked him how much but he doesn't know.

yep, got an email from CenturyLink guy said it was now available.....

"We are pleased to announce that 1 Gigabit Fiber Service has officially launched in select neighborhoods in Las Vegas! Please call me at this number 702-244-7469 at your convenience so that I can let you know what is currently available for you. I am located here in Las Vegas at the CenturyLink store located at 2101 N Rainbow."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas