U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,266 times

Advertisements

We will be on holiday in Las Vegas in june and was wondering whats the best way to book a Grand Canyon day trip?? Are we better to book online before going or book something from some of the street vendors on Vegas strip?

Which way would be cheapest and most reliable etc.? Any information on the types of trip ie. helicopter, plane would be helpful and the likely cost of booking with a street vendor in Las Vegas??

All and any information is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 02:09 AM

12,686 posts, read 30,964,098 times
A day trip would have to be by air. It's too far to do a day trip by car. Can be done but would be much fun. You should probably book it before you get here. Google

Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM

657 posts, read 2,317,742 times
There are multiple options for day trips to the Grand Canyon from vegas including bus tours, helicopter tours and airplane tours.

The bus tours are an all day affair with quite a bit of driving. The helicopter tours usually take-off from either Las Vegas International or Boulder City and vary in length of tour depending on choices you select (fly there and back, versus flying there, landing in the canyon and picnic and then fly back). The airplane tours usually are available at Boulder City and are usually 2 hours flight time.

I've personally taken only the airplane tour and really enjoyed it. Not too long, and not too short.

I'd recommend arranging for the tour prior to getting to Vegas, that way you know exactly what time and where to go so that you can plan the rest of your day/trip accordingly. If you buy from a street vendor, you pretty much have to be flexible to their times and my have to move around your plans.

There are typically Groupon deals on a regular basis for many of these tours so keep your eyes peeled for those. Our airplane tour from Groupon was $60/person which was pretty much half off.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,751,872 times
I'm always the odd man out. Drove our rental car there and was able to go at our own pace and stop whenever. Arrived just before dinner and had to eat at their steak house. Very disappointing and over priced. Next time, will eat before we hit the canyon. Spent the night at the Lodge, and again, very disappointing for the price paid. On a do over, would stay off site.

The following day we explored the Grand Canyon. I have heard people say, "It is only a big hole." My opinion is, it is something everyone should see. Believe we spent the night at the lodge again and then hit the road the next day to get back to Las Vegas. We are going again this year; drive of course, and haven't laid down any plans as yet. Also on the to do list is Lake Powell and Yellowstone.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM

If you will be here for a while and will rent a car, I'd say take two days and drive over. You may be too late to get a reservation at the Lodge, so stay in Williams or Flagstaff, AZ. You can also stop at Bearazona in Williams. Camping at the north rim is my favorite thing though. You wouldn't believe the stars. The north rim is the best canyon experience IMO. It's not crowded with tourists, it's cooler, it's higher, there are more trees and critters, and it's the same distance from Las Vegas.

BTW: nobody lands in the canyon. They have places set up (outside the park I believe) where the helicopters and airplanes don't bother the hikers and gawkers. They must stay well above the rim so there is a minimum of noise.

Teddy Roosevelt said every American should see it. I agree. I've known people to cry with joy upon seeing that sight. It's a lot more than a big hole in the ground. It is so huge you could spend a lifetime hiking it and never see it all.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
Somewhere, somehow, anyone visiting the area shold include Monument Valley.

My first ever trip there was on June 21 and it was a fullmoon.I got to the valley just before dark and since in those days there wasnt much in the way of housing there, i decided to sleep in the truck....instead, i sat o a wall at the visitors center until about 8 am the next day ....watchin gthe moon rise, climb and set on the valley ...it was the most incredible sight ive ever seen....and shot more then 25 rolls of kodachrome film......it should not be missed

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,438,330 times
We did it by air out of Boulder City airport. Flew a puddle jumper to Grand Canyon Airport, took the helicopter tour of the canyon, then the bus tour of the south rim.

If you're doing this as a day trip, it's the way to go. Otherwise you're on a bus through the middle of nowhere for hours, for a relatively short time on the canyon. The flight is spectacular (really can be counted as part of the tour), but can be quite turbulent. The helicopter tour was very nice. if you don't the chopper, you end up at the visitor center watching a documentary about the canyon, and then hook up with the heli people for the bus tour.

I think a number of different sales companies are selling the same tour from the same operator, possibly at different prices.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Back when they still allowed the helicopters to dip down below the rim, I gave my sister a ticket and she kept her eyes closed for the whole flight. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas