U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 8,441,593 times

Advertisements

I think you're taking Ex just a tad too seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
People with guns in the house are three times more likely to be murdered than people who don't have guns in the house. Seriously, google it.
Seriously, the "study" behind that is seriously flawed.

So let's say that you have a .0001% chance of being murdered without a gun in the home. The "risk" jumps to .0003%. Gosh, I'm convinced. I'm going to turn all of my guns in to be melted down!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM

511 posts, read 639,944 times
I can see Jonathan buying one of these

Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,450,104 times
Hey Mac you going to shoot your house? Think about it intruders break into homes when NO ONE IS THERE!!! and if they do while you are sleeping you have to find the gun unlock it and then load it. Does not make sense Most of the people who post the stupid pictures on FB of weapons they will use if someone breaks into their house are full of S_ _ T. They all talk big but in reality they have never pointed a gun at a person to shot them and most of them would be shaking so much they would miss. If someone is going to shoot you they just pull out the gun and shoot they do not give you a Oral Presentation first in the old west it was called getting the drop on the other person. You are better off having a baseball bat next to your bed it is cheaper,safer and just as effective when used and legal.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 AM

This is why I talked about whole house security. No one should be able to get into your house easily, quickly, and without you having significant warning.

Also, if you carry your gun, it would not be exposed in your house for a burgler to get. If you have several guns, you should have a serious gun safe (not the finger safe I was talking about previously.)

You are NOT better off with a baseball bat. You need to get into contact range to use that, that's ALWAYS a bad idea. Pepper spray would be better, but it's effectiveness is questionable, and the chance of you gassing yourself at the same time as the bad guy is high. They train cops to be able to fight through being sprayed themselves, for just this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Hey Mac you going to shoot your house? Think about it intruders break into homes when NO ONE IS THERE!!! and if they do while you are sleeping you have to find the gun unlock it and then load it. Does not make sense Most of the people who post the stupid pictures on FB of weapons they will use if someone breaks into their house are full of S_ _ T. They all talk big but in reality they have never pointed a gun at a person to shot them and most of them would be shaking so much they would miss. If someone is going to shoot you they just pull out the gun and shoot they do not give you a Oral Presentation first in the old west it was called getting the drop on the other person. You are better off having a baseball bat next to your bed it is cheaper,safer and just as effective when used and legal.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Seriously, the "study" behind that is seriously flawed.

So let's say that you have a .0001% chance of being murdered without a gun in the home. The "risk" jumps to .0003%. Gosh, I'm convinced. I'm going to turn all of my guns in to be melted down!
Let's say you put up some real numbers instead of just grabbing some out of thin air.

For instance, our homeowner's insurance asked us about whether or not we have a firearm in the house. Why? Because they're more likely to have to pay out a claim for a household with guns.

It's the same thing with a swimming pool. If there is a swimming pool on the property the chances that someone may drown skyrocket. And if there's a loaded gun in a drawer in the nightstand, the chances that someone may get shot skyrocket.

Buy one or not. Doesn't matter to me in the least. But there are a LOT of people out there who are too stupid to own a firearm. Google a video "stupid people with guns" for a many, many examples. Bottom line, people who own guns are more likely to be shot with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You are NOT better off with a baseball bat. You need to get into contact range to use that, that's ALWAYS a bad idea. Pepper spray would be better, but it's effectiveness is questionable, and the chance of you gassing yourself at the same time as the bad guy is high. They train cops to be able to fight through being sprayed themselves, for just this reason.
And they also train cops how to use a firearm. The important thing is training and repeated practice. Unfortunately, too many people have guns in the house and also have family members who have no clue how to use one. (Or don't know how to use one themselves.) And then there's the sub-category, "Parents with both guns in the house and mentally ill children."

Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM

180 posts, read 330,297 times
Does anyone know if a seasonal resident could purchase a gun with the DMV id card

Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,852,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
As someone who is active in the shooting community, I'd like to comment on the current hysteria over guns and ammo. It is NOT subsiding. I hope the recent senate shutdown of a gun control bill will help, but it has not so far. Good guns are hard to get, especially at a good price. Go to bass Pro and see the cases normally stocked with hundreds of guns reduced to about 6. Revolvers are somewhat available but semi-auto's are scarce and expensive. For the last month or two I've been looking for a S&W SD40. No one has it. Not online, not locally, no one. So I switched to a less desirable (by me) Ruger SR40. Same thing. unavailable. Both guns are usually in the $400-$450 range. You can find some $800 to $1300 Kimber and Colt 1911 .45's but none of the reasonable weapons.

Now the important thing. AMMO. You can't really get it. Sure, the weird stuff nobody wants is available. But .223, 556, .40 .357, 9mm, .45, 7.62x.39 is hard to find and pretty expensive. Too expensive to practice with. There is an amazing amount of hoarding going on.

The weirdest one of all, the hardest ammo to find is .22LR. Yes, the lowly .22. The stuff I never expected to be hoarded or unavailable is the single most difficult to find. One theory is that, since it can't be reloaded, what you can buy is all you get. Another is that a lot of AR guys bought .22 uppers for practice (since it WAS cheap). Another is that preppers consider .22 a survival round (think hunting small game) and they also consider it a possible future currency for trade.

Whatever the reason, .22, when you can find it, is expensive. a 50 round box used to sell for around $2. The only in-stock I can find online is going for $30-$50

Getting back to the OP's post, and the reason I commented, don't think that just buying a gun (if you can find a good deal) is all you have to worry about. Feeding it is a serious problem. And practice is necessary.
I think I know you from somewhere... You sound EXACTLY like several people I work with. I know a couple of people that are looking for S&W SD40 also. And they are not looking to settle. As far as the .22LR, I am also looking for as much as I can find. Along with about 50 other people I know. Some of the guys at work coordinate with each other when ever they find some at a gun shop or Wal-Mart. Since there is a max limit you can buy(usually 3 boxes) someone will call/text as many poeple as possible to come pick up as many as the store will let them. It is getting cut throat out there.

By the way, I am not stocking up for WW3. I just like to at least keep about 1000 rounds of each caliber I use. This way, I can go shooting at my convenience without having to go buy ammo before or immediately after I finish shooting.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM

From my original post in this thread:

Quote:
get serious, not minimal, formal training, and practice regularly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

And they also train cops how to use a firearm. The important thing is training and repeated practice. Unfortunately, too many people have guns in the house and also have family members who have no clue how to use one. (Or don't know how to use one themselves.) And then there's the sub-category, "Parents with both guns in the house and mentally ill children."

Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Quote:
I'd like to comment on the current hysteria over guns and ammo. It is NOT subsiding.
Yes it is. Ammo is still scarce, but it's slowly becoming more available, and guns are certainly becoming more available. Not so much the highly sought after models (Glock 17, etc), but in general, they're around. EBRs are also coming back down to earth. I saw the same DD M4V5 that I bought pre-craziness at Lock-N-Load (same store I bought mine from) for a full 2x the price I paid, just a few months earlier. Last time I was in Guns and Ammo Garage, they had the same rifle for just a couple hundred over what I paid, and it had been there for a while.

Quote:
Go to bass Pro and see the cases normally stocked with hundreds of guns reduced to about 6.
I was there on Saturday, and the display cases were about 2/3 full, compared to a couple of months ago when they had a few 1911s and a couple of revolver hand cannons. They also had Remington UMC .45 auto in stock on Saturday, and I haven't been able to find much in the way of .45 ammo for months.

It's slow, but the improvement is there.

Quote:
Whatever the reason, .22, when you can find it, is expensive. a 50 round box used to sell for around $2. The only in-stock I can find online is going for $30-$50
Wait... Are you saying that you're seeing .22LR going for sixty cents or more for round? Or are you talking about a 500rd brick? 'Cuz if you can't find it for less than $0.60/rd, you're not looking in the right places. That's the price range that .223 is going for on bp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or