U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2013, 02:26 PM
 
10,110 posts, read 8,567,046 times
Reputation: 5965

Advertisements

If you want an SD40 their out there, but you may have to buy off of the 'net

Semi Auto Pistols for Sale - Buy Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Really why all the love for this gun. There are better out there. In this class, I'd get a Glock 23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I think I know you from somewhere... You sound EXACTLY like several people I work with. I know a couple of people that are looking for S&W SD40 also. And they are not looking to settle. As far as the .22LR, I am also looking for as much as I can find. Along with about 50 other people I know. Some of the guys at work coordinate with each other when ever they find some at a gun shop or Wal-Mart. Since there is a max limit you can buy(usually 3 boxes) someone will call/text as many poeple as possible to come pick up as many as the store will let them. It is getting cut throat out there.

By the way, I am not stocking up for WW3. I just like to at least keep about 1000 rounds of each caliber I use. This way, I can go shooting at my convenience without having to go buy ammo before or immediately after I finish shooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM
 
180 posts, read 331,925 times
Reputation: 43
Where in LV is a good place to purchase antique guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,774,058 times
Reputation: 7982
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think you're taking Ex just a tad too seriously.
You never know with some of these people... both those making the suggestions (even if sarcastically) and those reading them. Just wanted to get it out in the open that it's a BAD idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,774,058 times
Reputation: 7982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Let's say you put up some real numbers instead of just grabbing some out of thin air.
Me? You're the one that said that I'm 3x more likely to be murdered. How about you cite your source?

But fine - if you want to play it that way, I'm game.

According to City-Data, the murder rate in Las Vegas in 2011 was 5.6 per 100,000 residents. That's 0.000056%. You're saying that I'm 3x more likely than that to be murdered, simply because I own a gun. That makes the likelihood 0.000168% in a given year. Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Bottom line, people who own guns are more likely to be shot with them.
And people that own cars are more likely to get into auto accidents. And people that own hammers are more likely to smash their thumb with one. And people that prepare food are more likely to be cut by a kitchen knife. And people that own a lawn mower are more likely to have their foot removed by one. And, and, and...

Sorry, but the logic is that of someone trying to use fear to bend the opinion of people who don't know any better. Safe handling of a firearm will ALWAYS keep accidents from happening, barring the exceptionally rare firearm malfunction. If you follow three very simple rules, you will never have the sort of accident you're talking about.

For the benefit of the readers that may not already know, those rules are:

1. Always treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
2. Never point your firearm at something you don't intend to destroy.
3. Never place your finger on the trigger (or inside the trigger guard) until you're ready to fire.

If you condition yourself to religiously do those three things, you will never experience an accidental shooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,568 posts, read 2,721,358 times
Reputation: 1587
Excellent idea. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,774,058 times
Reputation: 7982
Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2LV View Post
Where in LV is a good place to purchase antique guns?
You can try Bargain Pawn. I'm not into antiques, but they always have some nice looking wall hangers in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,736,695 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Me? You're the one that said that I'm 3x more likely to be murdered. How about you cite your source?

But fine - if you want to play it that way, I'm game.

According to City-Data, the murder rate in Las Vegas in 2011 was 5.6 per 100,000 residents. That's 0.000056%. You're saying that I'm 3x more likely than that to be murdered, simply because I own a gun. That makes the likelihood 0.000168% in a given year. Oh noes!


And people that own cars are more likely to get into auto accidents. And people that own hammers are more likely to smash their thumb with one. And people that prepare food are more likely to be cut by a kitchen knife. And people that own a lawn mower are more likely to have their foot removed by one. And, and, and...

Sorry, but the logic is that of someone trying to use fear to bend the opinion of people who don't know any better. Safe handling of a firearm will ALWAYS keep accidents from happening, barring the exceptionally rare firearm malfunction. If you follow three very simple rules, you will never have the sort of accident you're talking about.

For the benefit of the readers that may not already know, those rules are:

1. Always treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
2. Never point your firearm at something you don't intend to destroy.
3. Never place your finger on the trigger (or inside the trigger guard) until you're ready to fire.

If you condition yourself to religiously do those three things, you will never experience an accidental shooting.

And this is the problem with gun control debates. You're talking about individuals. I'm talking about the population at large. There are too many people out there who are too stupid, too lazy, too crazy or too violent. These people have no business owning guns. And our current culture of shoveling as many firearms into the general public's hands as possible isn't doing us any favors.

Let's assume worst-case scenario -- home invasion by a rabid meth head at MacGeek's house. It is more likely that MacGeek is going to come home and find himself at the business end of his own gun than it is that he will be home when the invasion happens, make it to the gun in time and stop the intruder. Why? Because burglars try to rob empty houses. Rabid meth-head burglar waits for MacGeek to leave on his segway, breaks in, finds the gun, and then shoots MacGeek when he returns from the Apple store.

But the most likely scenario is that MacGeek will never need a firearm at all. Why have one if the chances of needing one are miniscule? In my opinion the major driving stimulus for gun sales is "machismo."

(Sorry, MacGeek for putting you in these horrible hypothetical situations. But you did ask the question in the first place.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM
 
Location: ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ ̡
7,112 posts, read 10,916,724 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And this is the problem with gun control debates. You're talking about individuals. I'm talking about the population at large. There are too many people out there who are too stupid, too lazy, too crazy or too violent. These people have no business owning guns. And our current culture of shoveling as many firearms into the general public's hands as possible isn't doing us any favors.

Let's assume worst-case scenario -- home invasion by a rabid meth head at MacGeek's house. It is more likely that MacGeek is going to come home and find himself at the business end of his own gun than it is that he will be home when the invasion happens, make it to the gun in time and stop the intruder. Why? Because burglars try to rob empty houses. Rabid meth-head burglar waits for MacGeek to leave on his segway, breaks in, finds the gun, and then shoots MacGeek when he returns from the Apple store.

But the most likely scenario is that MacGeek will never need a firearm at all. Why have one if the chances of needing one are miniscule? In my opinion the major driving stimulus for gun sales is "machismo."

(Sorry, MacGeek for putting you in these horrible hypothetical situations. But you did ask the question in the first place.)
After reading that, this is what comes to mind.




Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 PM
 
1,589 posts, read 1,834,445 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yes it is. Ammo is still scarce, but it's slowly becoming more available, and guns are certainly becoming more available. Not so much the highly sought after models (Glock 17, etc), but in general, they're around. EBRs are also coming back down to earth. I saw the same DD M4V5 that I bought pre-craziness at Lock-N-Load (same store I bought mine from) for a full 2x the price I paid, just a few months earlier. Last time I was in Guns and Ammo Garage, they had the same rifle for just a couple hundred over what I paid, and it had been there for a while.


I was there on Saturday, and the display cases were about 2/3 full, compared to a couple of months ago when they had a few 1911s and a couple of revolver hand cannons. They also had Remington UMC .45 auto in stock on Saturday, and I haven't been able to find much in the way of .45 ammo for months.

It's slow, but the improvement is there.


Wait... Are you saying that you're seeing .22LR going for sixty cents or more for round? Or are you talking about a 500rd brick? 'Cuz if you can't find it for less than $0.60/rd, you're not looking in the right places. That's the price range that .223 is going for on bp.

I was also a Bass Pro last Saturday and it was certainly NOT 2/3 full. I counted literally 6 semi auto's in the 9mm/.40 section. I wish I had taken a picture. There was more in the .45 section but most were more then $1000.

As far as .22LR here is a bot site I use to find available stock: GunBot find 22lr ammo in stock

yes, it is in the .223 price range right now for available ammo.

BTW, there is a new store over at Warm Springs and Eastern called Gun Show Ammo that had pallets of decent priced ammo including .45 and nearly every caliber I mentioned earlier. Not a single box if .22LR. You might try them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM
 
1,589 posts, read 1,834,445 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If you want an SD40 their out there, but you may have to buy off of the 'net

Semi Auto Pistols for Sale - Buy Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Really why all the love for this gun. There are better out there. In this class, I'd get a Glock 23.

SD40 doesn't go KABOOM
Glock G23 KaBoom! - YouTube

They are also about $150 cheaper.

If you think this is rare, I bought a gen 1 .40 Glock when they first came out. Kaboom happened on mine in about 3 months. What's weird is we are currently at what, gen 4 and they still have not fixed the barrel/receiver problem. I will never own another Glock.

Last edited by clutchcargo777; 04-22-2013 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top