U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:14 AM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
You guys have some nice looking gardens.

I'm in the midst of redoing the entire backyard drip system. I've got all the water requirements calculated, today I will install the lines and from there I will simply observe and adjust.

I'm thinking the succulants will work around the pool, with perhaps a med palm somewhere as well.

I've been taking little tours of the gardens at UNLV, they only use native species apparently.

On that note, anyone know of a shrub that can really take the afternoon sun like a champ? I had some privets(still do) they have been fried, I think the queen palms that once provided them shade, died from the cold and now the privets just get scorched.
Euonymous is very sun tolerant. Hard to kill, and not messy.
Euonymus Shrubs

Oleander can take the heat as well, but I don't care for them because they are toxic and tend to irritate those with allergies (like me). Pretty though, and next to impossible to kill.

For color, Canna is very nice and reproduces readily. Not a shade shrub, but a nice, heat tolerant plant. The Tropicana variety (available at plant world) is stunning even when not in bloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 2,500,862 times
^^^Canna can grow quickly and invasive if you water it regularly. Nice tropical looking plant. Bird of Paradise is nice as well albeit messy.

Pretty much anything can grow here, just be mindful of the location. We used to have alot of tulips, iris and daffodils at home. Great if you plant them in clusters.

Jasmine also is a great plant here in the desert, you can have it on a trellis, ours at home is climbing the staircase, full of flowers at the moment and great scent to it. I took a photo the other day and I will post it here. You can also establish Jasmine as a border plant, at Town Square they've planted Jasmine all over and the area smells nice.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:36 AM

Yes, jasmine and honeysuckle are both very nice and do well out here. I've had zero luck with bird of paradise. Mine died in mid-summer.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:49 AM

511 posts, read 639,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I love succulents. I saw an article in Sunset magazine where a guy had used various varieties to create a scene reminiscent of a coral reef. It was very pretty, and I was thinking of emulating it in my backyard.

I haven't had any trouble with my pool getting leaves in it, except for my eucalyptus tree. I really hate that tree. I also have a Palo Verde that can be pretty messy with the yellow flowers and needles, but that's in the front yard.

One flower that I've found to be surprisingly hardy out here is the Martha Washington Geranium. They are hard to find, though. All the garden centers around here seem to have is zonal geraniums which will be dead by August. They can't take the heat.

Anyway, OP, good luck with your gardening adventures and post some pics when you have the time.
Coral Reef

Succulents DON'T SUC

Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,338,785 times
Default Gardening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
So I've started a new zen hobby, landscaping and gardening. I try to go over to the gardening forum but find that they don't really know so much.

Anyhow, just curious if there are any aficionado on here that know a thing or two. I myself am just a padawan learner. I would sort of like to use plants that are more native to the area since they would clearly do the best in this climate.

Not liking the Lllantanas though.

What do you guys have around the pools?

I don't completely mind going out of region, as long as it will deal with both the drought and the cold winters. Anyone else like working on their yard? I have some ambitious plans. Went out to the Springs preserve for a class from the SNWA. It was great.
Bob Morris writes articles in the Las Vegas Review Journal (on line) and he has a link to his web site. Lots of helpful info.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtam View Post
Pretty! Thank you!

Old 05-03-2013, 03:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 2,500,862 times

Photos in my side yard at home.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:26 AM

Nice photos, Clarkcty. I have some of that purple ice plant that is next to the lantana in one of your photos. It's just a gorgeous carpet of purple flowers in the spring, isn't it?
Btw, what's the name of the plant with the bright blue flowers in one of the other photos? I've never seen one of those before.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 PM

1,945 posts, read 2,115,639 times
The blue flowers are Cape Plumbago. I had two in my backyard but this winter killed them.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
The blue flowers are Cape Plumbago. I had two in my backyard but this winter killed them.
Thanks. Sorry about your plants. Those hard-freeze days we had in January wreaked havoc on pipes and plants alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or