Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM

158 posts, read 264,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcy818 View Post
jaimilyn:

Have you found a place yet? Do you have to rent in Summerlin? How about East Las Vegas?
We found a house in Summerlin, and seem to be getting a good deal.

It's only a mile or so from husband's job, so yay

We're planning to pull out of MD on the 17th... can't believe how fast this has all gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimilyn View Post

We're planning to pull out of MD on the 17th... can't believe how fast this has all gone!
Congratulations!!!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:40 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,767,123 times
Quote:

Congrats! We got here late Thursday night and love it! Good luck with your drive. It'll go quicker than you think.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM

158 posts, read 264,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Congrats! We got here late Thursday night and love it! Good luck with your drive. It'll go quicker than you think.
Awesome! We leave a week from today... amazing how the time sneaks up on you. Husband changed his mind at the last minute and we're having a moving company take our boxes, so we're just driving the two cars. It's not a major trucking firm, so we'll see how much of our household goods are intact when they get to Vegas...

Raiderman, how did you dogs like four days in the car? Also, did you go via 70 or 80?

Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 PM

78 posts, read 116,958 times
Good luck with your drive! We did it from PA with a big pupster and had to stop a million times along the way for him but it was a really fun experience!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,767,123 times
Quote:
Awesome! We leave a week from today... amazing how the time sneaks up on you. Husband changed his mind at the last minute and we're having a moving company take our boxes, so we're just driving the two cars. It's not a major trucking firm, so we'll see how much of our household goods are intact when they get to Vegas...

Raiderman, how did you dogs like four days in the car? Also, did you go via 70 or 80?
Regarding damage, every single piece of furniture we brought got scratched or dented. But again, I packed it myself in a trailer, so can't blame anyone but myself. Fortunately our friends who moved here from Detroit had the same thing happen and there is a really good repairman who is reasonably priced and can make the furniture look great again. Nothing was broken, just some scuff marks and dents, etc. Not a single item in boxes was broken

The dogs were fantastic! We have them a light sedative that our veterinarian supplied that made them groggy and they slept for the majority of the trip. Not even a peep out of them! And we ended up changing our route in order to visit friends on the way... RI to OH, down to Nashville, then took I-40 all the way over. Perfect weather the entire time. I hope your trip goes as smoothly!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,826,471 times
Quote:

Congratulations!

Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 PM

117 posts, read 145,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Regarding damage, every single piece of furniture we brought got scratched or dented. But again, I packed it myself in a trailer, so can't blame anyone but myself. Fortunately our friends who moved here from Detroit had the same thing happen and there is a really good repairman who is reasonably priced and can make the furniture look great again. Nothing was broken, just some scuff marks and dents, etc. Not a single item in boxes was broken

The dogs were fantastic! We have them a light sedative that our veterinarian supplied that made them groggy and they slept for the majority of the trip. Not even a peep out of them! And we ended up changing our route in order to visit friends on the way... RI to OH, down to Nashville, then took I-40 all the way over. Perfect weather the entire time. I hope your trip goes as smoothly!

Almost all of my furniture was scratched too --- I think we used the same company? They told me the trailer had done a 'major shift'... Can you send me the name of the furniture repairman???

Old 06-15-2013, 07:18 PM

117 posts, read 145,702 times
Quote:

Congratulations!! Been here 2 months, and love it!

Old 06-16-2013, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 13,280 times
Default I'm moving to Vegas too

I'm moving out there too from S. IL in late summer. I have 2 cats and me, no job or place yet so I'd like to keep in touch and see how things pan out for you if you don't mind. I'm an admin. asst. so hoping a job won't be an issue and not sure where to look for a place. An apt. will do for me till I learn the ropes of the city. Thanks for sharing, Gayle

Quote:
My husband has accepted a job in Summerlin, we're planning on moving out there in June.

We live on the east coast, so flying out there to do a house viewing visit will cost over $800, which is a huge chunk of the move budget.

I've done a couple of corporate moves in a past life, and just had the realtor find a house that matched my specifications so I didn't have to visit. Is this something that people do anymore? We just want to rent for a year, so as long as the house is in good condition in a decent neighborhood (and matches the specs below), I'm really not going to be that picky. I don't mind paying the real estate agent a few hundred dollars to go look at a couple of properties that I pick off Zillow, since that would be way less than flying.

Rental considerations:
In Summerlin, would like to be close to husband's job
We have three cats
Will need to have all standard appliances come with the house (refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, garbage disposal, washer, dryer, etc)
Don't need it until the first couple weeks of June
Prefer 1,500+ sq feet 3+ bed, 2+bath, ~1,200. Zillow makes it look like that's a reasonable option.
Also would really rather have granite countertops a a stainless steel sink in the kitchen because I hate tile countertops and those horrible white sinks - but that's a personal preference

We're leaning toward renting a 22' truck for husband to drive, me driving the SUV with the cats, and selling my car - hopefully to work out a trade in with a dealer in Las Vegas so I can drop off my old car here, and pick up my new car in Vegas.

Any thoughts/tips would be welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas