U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM

158 posts, read 211,170 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in Summerlin, we're planning on moving out there in June.

We live on the east coast, so flying out there to do a house viewing visit will cost over $800, which is a huge chunk of the move budget.

I've done a couple of corporate moves in a past life, and just had the realtor find a house that matched my specifications so I didn't have to visit. Is this something that people do anymore? We just want to rent for a year, so as long as the house is in good condition in a decent neighborhood (and matches the specs below), I'm really not going to be that picky. I don't mind paying the real estate agent a few hundred dollars to go look at a couple of properties that I pick off Zillow, since that would be way less than flying.

Rental considerations:
In Summerlin, would like to be close to husband's job
We have three cats
Will need to have all standard appliances come with the house (refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, garbage disposal, washer, dryer, etc)
Don't need it until the first couple weeks of June
Prefer 1,500+ sq feet 3+ bed, 2+bath, ~1,200. Zillow makes it look like that's a reasonable option.
Also would really rather have granite countertops a a stainless steel sink in the kitchen because I hate tile countertops and those horrible white sinks - but that's a personal preference

We're leaning toward renting a 22' truck for husband to drive, me driving the SUV with the cats, and selling my car - hopefully to work out a trade in with a dealer in Las Vegas so I can drop off my old car here, and pick up my new car in Vegas.

Any thoughts/tips would be welcome!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM

10,869 posts, read 14,197,628 times
Unless your financial situation doesn't allow it, I would buy a house in Summerlin straight away. Which house? Doesn't really matter. They're all basically the same.

House prices are going up, inventory is decreasing fast, and waiting a year could mean paying an extra $100K for the same house. (And you'll be out whatever a year's rent works out to be. Probably $15K or so.)

I think renting when house prices are clearly on the upswing isn't a good idea.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM

The move is going to kill our savings. Not sure we could swing a down payment too. Especially since I don't have a job yet.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:54 PM

2,406 posts, read 2,410,989 times
Be expected to pay anywhere from 300-1500 for a pet deposit.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,366,998 times
Here is something to consider when you select your house for rental or purchase:

Bring a compass with you check which way the major windows face. Do what you can to avoid a house that has lots of glass on the west side (afternoon sun stinks on a lots of glass windows).

Old 04-23-2013, 07:20 PM

158 posts, read 268,024 times
I was just out there 2 weeks ago to find us a house rental in Green Valley for May 1. Yes, it took a big chunk out of our moving budget but in NO WAY would leave it up to a realtor or looking at pictures online to find a house. We are only planning on renting a year or 2 before buying again also. Some houses looked great online but when I went in the house or saw how the other houses on the block were kept up, I had to keep looking. We have 3 dogs and pet deposits most places wanted between $500-$1100. Even though you are looking in a nice area, there are plenty of houses that will not be so nice inside. Unless you aren't picky and can deal with a house you don't like, I would defintely go out yourself a few weeks ahead.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 PM

10,869 posts, read 14,197,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimilyn View Post
The move is going to kill our savings. Not sure we could swing a down payment too. Especially since I don't have a job yet.
And don't count on getting a job for awhile. You might luck out. But it is still very difficult for many people (particularly newcomers) to find employment.

If this move is going to "kill your savings," are you SURE you want to move here? I would hate to be in this town with no friends, no family, no living arrangements lined up and then get hit with car troubles, medical troubles, or any other curveballs life could throw at you. (Like arriving to learn the company is in a tailspin and about to go under. It happens.)

Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 AM

351 posts, read 737,887 times
If you're only going to live in the place for a year save the money, don't make the trip, & use a realtor. Don't bother to look until about a month before your move. When you've almost settled on something I bet someone on this forum living near Summerlin could do a quick drive-by & maybe a peek inside. Using the internet shows you just about everything you need to know. Also, the realtor gets paid a commission-you don't have to pay on top of that. Good luck!

(BTW, I bought my condo from 2000 miles away & didn't set foot in it until after the long distance close. I found it by watching the internet for the complex I already knew I wanted, having a realtor take a look, & once my offer was accepted a friend in LV took a look & even did window measurements. By the time I flew in after the closing I had already ordered all appliances, ceiling fans & window coverings. No problems at all!)

Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 PM

Scoop - we gotta move, husband's got a job. It's with an excellent employer though, so not worried about that part. And while it will take a chunk of savings, there will be enough left for me to job hunt with.

Current concern is what kind of truck to take out, and whether it's worth it to bring both cars or sell mine and buy a new(ish) one when we get there. It's three years old with only 22k miles, so kbb says its worth more in trade-in than I owe. Will it be worth the hassle to actually deal with the trades, or should we just put it on a dolly behind the truck.

Tonight's project was starting to sort through our massive book collection. So far we've got over $150 in online trades and that's just with the books aren't in the basement or attic.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 PM

284 posts, read 432,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimilyn View Post
Scoop - we gotta move, husband's got a job. It's with an excellent employer though, so not worried about that part. And while it will take a chunk of savings, there will be enough left for me to job hunt with.

Current concern is what kind of truck to take out, and whether it's worth it to bring both cars or sell mine and buy a new(ish) one when we get there. It's three years old with only 22k miles, so kbb says its worth more in trade-in than I owe. Will it be worth the hassle to actually deal with the trades, or should we just put it on a dolly behind the truck.

Tonight's project was starting to sort through our massive book collection. So far we've got over $150 in online trades and that's just with the books aren't in the basement or attic.
Even though it would eat up a big chuck of money, it should be well worth it for your to visit las vegas and find a rental that you will like.
1. contact an agent in the summerlin area that works with rentals. Have them email you a list of properties that's available right now for your price range. They may not be available come june but there will be similar ones available.
2. Visit summerlin, south summerlin, southwest and other neighborhoods.

3. Rent a Penske truck for the move and put the 2nd car on a dolly and drive the 1st car. You can do it it's not that hard. Make sure to get insurance on the truck and plan out your route and where you'll sleep. The truck drives slow and uphill you'll only do 35-45 mph with cars flying by you. Do not get a U-haul as they break down.

4. If you have a lot of stuff, consider packing a storage unit and shipping it ahead like a POD. You pack, they move it to your next location and when you are ready they will bring it to your house and you unpack it.

5. avoid buying cars in vegas, all shady shenanigans going on at local dealers taking advantage of the lesser educated hard working folks and avoid the tax. Keep the car you have with low miles unless it's a clunker that breaks down alot. All you need is a full tint and lots of coolant in your car in vegas.

6. If all fails, get into a rental in an apt that allows pets. Then when you are here, find a better rental home or buy a home. There's an apt in summerlin on West Sahara by the library that advertises pets allowed so that might be a fall back option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas