U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,642,840 times

Advertisements

If I ever saw something like that, I'd call 911 ASAP. I couldn't live with the regret of seeing something, and then not doing anything about it.

I would never interfere directly. Things can escalate in a hurry. But I would discreetly make a phone call. If it turns out to be nothing, no harm done. Guilty of over-cautiousness, nothing more. If it turns out to be something, however...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,098,079 times
What you witnessed does not fit the legal definition of child abuse. Hearing something that may or may not have sounded like a slap or strike is not the same as witnessing a strike. Yelling at a child is not mental abuse. Cursing at a child is not abuse. Neither Metro nor CPS would do anything about it.
That said, before the inevitable backlash, I am in no way advocating yelling at and cursing at children. I am not encouraging it and I am not saying it is okay. I am simply pointing out that it does not fit the legal parameters of abuse and there is nothing you can do about it.

NRS 432B.070  “Mental injury” defined.  “Mental injury” means an injury to the intellectual or psychological capacity or the emotional condition of a child as evidenced by an observable and substantial impairment of the ability of the child to function within a normal range of performance or behavior.

NRS 432B.090  “Physical injury” defined.  “Physical injury” includes, without limitation:
1.  A sprain or dislocation;
2.  Damage to cartilage;
3.  A fracture of a bone or the skull;
4.  An intracranial hemorrhage or injury to another internal organ;
5.  A burn or scalding;
6.  A cut, laceration, puncture or bite;
7.  Permanent or temporary disfigurement; or
8.  Permanent or temporary loss or impairment of a part or organ of the body.

NRS 432B.100  “Sexual abuse” defined.  “Sexual abuse” includes acts upon a child constituting:
1.  Incest under NRS 201.180;
2.  Lewdness with a child under NRS 201.230;
3.  Sado-masochistic abuse under NRS 201.262;
4.  Sexual assault under NRS 200.366;
5.  Statutory sexual seduction under NRS 200.368;
6.  Open or gross lewdness under NRS 201.210; and
7.  Mutilation of the genitalia of a female child, aiding, abetting, encouraging or participating in the mutilation of the genitalia of a female child, or removal of a female child from this State for the purpose of mutilating the genitalia of the child under NRS 200.5083.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,940,545 times
What does the mother's weight have to do with child abuse?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM

26,901 posts, read 38,142,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yeah, it's always someone else's resposibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I get your point, but the fact is that sometimes you might actually make a situation worse by saying something. The sad fact of the matter is that if you humiliate the abuser, he will likely take that aggression out on his victims since he or she is a coward to be an abuser in the first place.

The person takes a bunch of grief from the boss at work and says nothing, but the spouse, the dog, and the kid are easy pickins to take out the aggression on.

CPS in this town is a joke, btw. Don't bother.
I know, but it's hard to do nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If I ever saw something like that, I'd call 911 ASAP. I couldn't live with the regret of seeing something, and then not doing anything about it.

I would never interfere directly. Things can escalate in a hurry. But I would discreetly make a phone call. If it turns out to be nothing, no harm done. Guilty of over-cautiousness, nothing more. If it turns out to be something, however...
This is probably the best course of action. Let those who can, if they will, take care of it. Snap a few pictures also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
What does the mother's weight have to do with child abuse?
I think it was the fact that the mother was just sitting in the car doing nothing. The comment about her weight was a byproduct of the OP seeing the inaction. It may be a case of abuse againt the mother and she was scared to death to get out of the car.

Some people live horrible lives and we are forced to watch and do little or nothing.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM

26,901 posts, read 38,142,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
What you witnessed does not fit the legal definition of child abuse. Hearing something that may or may not have sounded like a slap or strike is not the same as witnessing a strike. Yelling at a child is not mental abuse. Cursing at a child is not abuse. Neither Metro nor CPS would do anything about it.
That said, before the inevitable backlash, I am in no way advocating yelling at and cursing at children. I am not encouraging it and I am not saying it is okay. I am simply pointing out that it does not fit the legal parameters of abuse and there is nothing you can do about it.
There is a law on the books here that deals with foul language in front of children. A few years back a man was jailed for cussing in front of some children at a lake. First I'd heard of that law.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,325,020 times
Wow, a lot of spineless responses. If you need to call the cops, call them. But there's no way I'd stand by and watch while some meth addict screams at innocent kids. If he wanted a fight, he'd get one from somebody his size.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:41 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,736,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Wow, a lot of spineless responses. If you need to call the cops, call them. But there's no way I'd stand by and watch while some meth addict screams at innocent kids. If he wanted a fight, he'd get one from somebody his size.
By the time you go looking to fight him, the harm has already been done. Now we're just into the territory of vengeance. Even getting into a yelling match let alone a fist fight in the McDonalds would only worsen the initial trauma to the children rather than make the situation better. All that really gets accomplished that way is making yourself feel better.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 PM

487 posts, read 625,299 times
You can get yourself killed interfering

Old 04-24-2013, 03:31 PM

11 posts, read 13,076 times
Sounds like the general opinion is neither Metro nor CPS would get involved in something like this. Hopefully this kid gets on CPS radar at some point, if he's not already. I'm not sure who bothers me more: the junkie who abused the kid or the mom who just didn't give a rat's hindquarters.

Someone suggested I basically just stay out of the ghetto. Trust me, I'm never taking my kids back to that McDonald's and I'm trying to move far away from this neighborhood. But child abuse can happen in nice neighborhoods and I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do if I saw something on this scale again.

Someone also suggested I should have punched the guy out. Heh, I'm no weakling and maybe I could've given worse than I took, but I seriously doubt that starting a fist-fight in the kid's area and getting myself arrested would've been the wisest course of action. Much as the creep deserved it.

Thanks to everybody for your comments. It was good to talk about this. My daughter played a bit with this poor kid after the meth-head left, and I suppose that was the most we ever could've done for him.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 PM

13,482 posts, read 9,602,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
There is a law on the books here that deals with foul language in front of children. A few years back a man was jailed for cussing in front of some children at a lake. First I'd heard of that law.
Man, I'd be so *&*&^^%$$ hosed if they enforced that law. One of my son's first five sentences was "oh sh**"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas