U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 8,441,593 times

Advertisements

Then how did LV become the gambling capital of the country, and, until recently, the world (I think that title has probably moved to Macau)? How is it the only city with legal prostitution. If the LDS and other bible thumpers are running things, why isn't it Salt Lake City South?

What drives a lot of Nevada's schizophrenia on moral issues is that the convention industry is worried about making LV look too "out there", and discouraging convention bookers (as opposed to conventioneers, who like at as far "out there" as they can get it.) This is why prostitution is illegal in LV and Reno. I don't know if this is behind the pot thing. I figure they could care less about gay marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The government already knows how much it can make.

But an unholy alliance between law enforcement groups, private prisons, and the "moral majority" types are going to keep it illegal for a very long time. Gay marriage will happen nationally before legal weed.

And I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Las Vegas to become sensible. The LDS church holds tremendous sway in this city. They don't want gay marriage, legal weed, or much of anything else. If I'm not mistaken, they draw the line somewhere between "iced tea" and "hot tea."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:37 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Then how did LV become the gambling capital of the country, and, until recently, the world (I think that title has probably moved to Macau)? How is it the only city with legal prostitution. If the LDS and other bible thumpers are running things, why isn't it Salt Lake City South?
We haven't had legal prostitution since WWII. The Army forced us to shut that industry down. I'm pretty sure you know that.

How did LV become the gambling capital of the country? Simple. Everyplace once had legal gambling. Faro was the game of choice back then. But Faro dealers were cheats. Communities started banning gambling, except for Nevada. It's not that we legalized gambling. We just never made it illegal. Nevada became the gambling state by default. The last Faro game in the country, incidentally, was at Binion's.

I never said that the LDS ran Las Vegas. (Although they DO run Boulder City.) But they have influence in this town far beyond their numbers. Why? They're a voting bloc. They constitute something like 10% of this city. And in an electorate where almost nobody votes, a 10% bloc can swing elections. Politicians who want to keep their jobs need to throw them a bone every once in awhile. Keeping gays down and restricting marijuana is the path of least resistance.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 8,441,593 times
Ding Dong. Yes, I meant state. And it's out in the rural areas, where you think that the LDS would have even pull.

It still doesn't compute that LV would be know as such a den of debauchery (real, imagined, or, strangely both at the same time), if the LDS were calling the shots.

I suspect there is a money thing in here somewhere. In LV, as much as any place and more than most, money talks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
We haven't had legal prostitution since WWII. The Army forced us to shut that industry down. I'm pretty sure you know that.

How did LV become the gambling capital of the country? Simple. Everyplace once had legal gambling. Faro was the game of choice back then. But Faro dealers were cheats. Communities started banning gambling, except for Nevada. It's not that we legalized gambling. We just never made it illegal. Nevada became the gambling state by default. The last Faro game in the country, incidentally, was at Binion's.

I never said that the LDS ran Las Vegas. (Although they DO run Boulder City.) But they have influence in this town far beyond their numbers. Why? They're a voting bloc. They constitute something like 10% of this city. And in an electorate where almost nobody votes, a 10% bloc can swing elections. Politicians who want to keep their jobs need to throw them a bone every once in awhile. Keeping gays down and restricting marijuana is the path of least resistance.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:09 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It still doesn't compute that LV would be know as such a den of debauchery (real, imagined, or, strangely both at the same time), if the LDS were calling the shots.
The Mormons are just as willing to fleece the sinners as the rest of us. So long as none of their members end up on a stripper pole, of course.

For some reason they REALLY don't want gay civil unions/marriage. They spent a lot of money and effort Proposition 8 in California -- to the point that California fined the church for violating disclosure rules.

The church has shown time and again that they're happy to meddle in politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or