U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,566,873 times

Advertisements

I was messaging a member here that had her son contact me for an internship I had. He's too early in his engineering degree to be a fit but it got me wondering...

I've contacted the engineering department at UNLV twice now and taken out ads on their job board and gave the head of the department the information to post for a PAID internship. I received no responses on both occasions. WTF?

Do you think the ad never went up or that students in the engineering program at UNLV are lazy? I would have killed for a paid internship in college I was free slave labor at Merrill Lynch.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 PM

210 posts, read 361,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I was messaging a member here that had her son contact me for an internship I had. He's too early in his engineering degree to be a fit but it got me wondering...

I've contacted the engineering department at UNLV twice now and taken out ads on their job board and gave the head of the department the information to post for a PAID internship. I received no responses on both occasions. WTF?

Do you think the ad never went up or that students in the engineering program at UNLV are lazy? I would have killed for a paid internship in college I was free slave labor at Merrill Lynch.
That is ODD. I did an internship while at UNLV. I found the job on the Career Connection job board. UNLV needs to a do a better job with site. It's sometimes difficult to navigate the site to find what you are looking for. It may have changed in this last couple years since I used it.

There is NO way that at least ONE engineering student is interested in an internship.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 PM

That's what I was thinking and it surprised me. The only requirement is that the student have experience with cad software. The last project I posted was taking a completed component and entering the measurements of each part into a different software program.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 AM

11,578 posts, read 22,673,604 times
I did the free labor internship for Holiday Inn back in the day.....

Old 04-27-2013, 01:12 PM

210 posts, read 361,086 times
I have a strong suspicion that for one reason or another your positions are not being posted.

Last edited by ecd3easy; 04-27-2013 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling Correction

Old 04-27-2013, 03:32 PM

You may be right I'll try again next week and if I get no responses I'm done with UNLV.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,356,587 times
You may want to contact the professors directly. My son and I have discussed this and my impression is that internships are highly sought after. I will ask him, though, what the best route is for you.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:06 PM

24 posts, read 36,138 times
Who did you contact within the Engineering Department? I would highly recommend reaching out to the various department chairs and the departmental administrative assistants. You might also wish to contact the UNLV Career Services folks directly as well.

There are a lot of great students at UNLV who would love the opportunity, so I hope that you'll consider to pursue this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas