U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM

207 posts, read 422,894 times

Advertisements

I am researching various options for "home" ownership in LV and one interesting angle is to buy a plot of land and plop down a mobile or manufactured home.

Of course you can only do this on plots that are specifically designated for mobile homes but they are out there.

It seems like with this arrangement you get the benefit of a lower priced entry point (compared to actual houses) and get to live in something more akin to a standalone home without walls and other undesirable traits of condos and townhomes (and no HOA fees too?!)

Plus I imagine the property tax would be less as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,345,194 times
Two hurdles here:
  1. You have to live in a mobile home
  2. You have to live in a neighborhood that allows mobile homes

Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Two hurdles here:
  1. You have to live in a mobile home
  2. You have to live in a neighborhood that allows mobile homes
Yes, you can put those two down in the "negatives" category. But we all gotta live somewhere. And not all mobile home neighborhoods are bad.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
I have not looked at in a while but if I remember correctly the legislature past a law against discriminating against non stick built houses. So at least you can buy a half acre all over Clark County and plop down what you like. Gets trickier on smaller properties as you run into other restrictions and conditions.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegarlic View Post
I am researching various options for "home" ownership in LV and one interesting angle is to buy a plot of land and plop down a mobile or manufactured home.

Of course you can only do this on plots that are specifically designated for mobile homes but they are out there.

It seems like with this arrangement you get the benefit of a lower priced entry point (compared to actual houses) and get to live in something more akin to a standalone home without walls and other undesirable traits of condos and townhomes (and no HOA fees too?!)

Plus I imagine the property tax would be less as well.
We have 26 rural acres in Missouri and a very modest mobile. I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything. There is nothing wrong with a mobile home.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
I live in a double wide Manufactured home in kingman.
the neighborhood is, for the most part, GREAT, with 80% of the homes being owner occupant.....the remaining 20% are "Lowlifescum occupied".
I LOVE it.....BUT I am not afraid to let people know that their music is too loud or their lowlifescum dogs are running the street.....

Advantages.....Paid for in full....NICE neighborhood of well maintained homes with predominately older retirees....LOWWLOWW property taxes.....LOTS of room but nothing to entice kids or grandkids to mooch off of us

Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,345,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegarlic View Post
Yes, you can put those two down in the "negatives" category. But we all gotta live somewhere. And not all mobile home neighborhoods are bad.
Might be worth looking at modular homes instead? I only found one company here called Express Modular. None of the restrictions of a mobile home. Imagine compartmentalized construction. Superior insulation and quality control to conventionally built homes (compartments are constructed in a factory and assembled on site).

Plenty of YouTube videos of the modular home construction process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqP_giVcF9Y

Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM

Paid in full? Low property taxes? I like the sound of that. Sign me up.

I am seriously looking into this.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,188,763 times
Let me know how it works. As far as I know, purchasing land and even getting a modular home is more expensive than buying a house that's already built on a plot of land.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,371,152 times
what about a condo in a quite neighborhood? Gotta be cheaper than property taxes and mobile home depreciation and maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas