Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in joining a group of like minded individuals whom are into rapid prototyping, fabrication, modelling and cnc on a hobbyist level.
I'm also seeking a similar group into sculpture, particularly figural in clay.

...I like to make stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup

Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM

542 posts, read 986,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I'm interested in joining a group of like minded individuals whom are into rapid prototyping, fabrication, modelling and cnc on a hobbyist level.
I'm also seeking a similar group into sculpture, particularly figural in clay.

...I like to make stuff!
I'm not sure what I want to ask here....because I'm not sure if I'm your "like minded people" or not

My (very expensive) hobby is designing and building/fabricating. Right now, I design and build a lot of things for a buddy of mine, who is an electrical/computer engineer. I weld, mold and form pieces out of plastic resin and cast metal, work with carbon fiber and fiberglass. Saving my pennies for a metal lathe, and possibly a mill for my garage.

Its something I would very much like to make more than a hobby though. I'd love to be able to support myself doing it. I'm currently in the process of enrolling in UNLV for their mechanical engineering program.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
I once looked at engineering as well, then I learned that what I was more interested in were the skills for industrial design.

I want to design the items then let some engineer tell me this part needs to be x thick if out of this material or another...if need be.

I prefer the design aspect more than the calculations. I can read data sheets and get pretty accurate on my own as far as the engineering goes...but someone else can do the math to prove it. I can usually break a few parts and get it right before they can put it on paper anyway.

Specifically what I'm interested in now is the rapid prototyping cnc's and FDM printers and vacuum formers...as in building my own benchtop sized kit.

I don't have any of my tools anymore...I had a LOT of stuff and had to get rid of it all...including a small milling machine. Plasma cutter, Mig, gas, benders, press brake shear roller and full woodworking shop. I was close to getting a plasma-camm then shopbot. Now I'd struggle to build a micro version of the shopbot...

Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,354 times
I was curious how difficult it would be to make a handgun from composite like John Malkovich's character in the movie "In the Line of Fire"... any idea?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:25 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
.22... probably not to bad, .44... probably difficult.

If you need to think up stuff to make... let me know.

"I know engineers... they LOVE to change things!"
L. McCoy

Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I once looked at engineering as well, then I learned that what I was more interested in were the skills for industrial design.

I want to design the items then let some engineer tell me this part needs to be x thick if out of this material or another...if need be.

I prefer the design aspect more than the calculations. I can read data sheets and get pretty accurate on my own as far as the engineering goes...but someone else can do the math to prove it. I can usually break a few parts and get it right before they can put it on paper anyway.

Specifically what I'm interested in now is the rapid prototyping cnc's and FDM printers and vacuum formers...as in building my own benchtop sized kit.

I don't have any of my tools anymore...I had a LOT of stuff and had to get rid of it all...including a small milling machine. Plasma cutter, Mig, gas, benders, press brake shear roller and full woodworking shop. I was close to getting a plasma-camm then shopbot. Now I'd struggle to build a micro version of the shopbot...
That's pretty much where I have been my entire life. Designing by the seat of my pants.

Recently I've been getting into aerodynamics. I've found that "seat of the pants" doesn't work when designing things to go through the air. Surprisingly, computer aid doesn't always give the best results either. Formula 1 teams spend millions of dollars every year, in the wind tunnel, just to "get close". They still paint the cars with Aero-vis paint ($20/can) to fine tune, and verify the wind tunnel results. The trick is knowing what the paint is telling you.

As far as I think it's possible to go without knowing the actual math, I just don't think its far enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
I was curious how difficult it would be to make a handgun from composite like John Malkovich's character in the movie "In the Line of Fire"... any idea?
Pics? I haven't seen it.

Guns can be really simple, to very complex (obviously). There are some good plans online for a single shot .50cal BMG rifle, and the parts only cost ~$100. The other end of that would be the crap the Germans make

I think the easiest thing to do would be to find a gun caliber/manufacturer you like, then mold a different frame for it. It would be possible to mold fiberglass reinforced plastic all day long, without any issues.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
yes... but will it stand up to barrel pressures... that is the main issue.

it was basically a zip gun... simple design.
http://www.closefocusresearch.com/ca...ty-gun-systems

Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
yes... but will it stand up to barrel pressures... that is the main issue.

it was basically a zip gun... simple design.
Calculating Barrel Pressure and Projectile Velocity in Gun Systems | Close Focus Research - Ballistic Testing Services
There are youtube videos of them being shot.

How accurate or reliable...is well... its homemade

Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
I'm currently in the process of enrolling in UNLV for their mechanical engineering program.
I don't know why I haven't thought about it before, but this made the light bulb go off. I just got off the phone with the engineering dept. and sent them information regarding internship opportunities. The person I spoke with said that a most of the internships are from out of state. She also stated enrollment was around 300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas