U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 AM

200 posts, read 482,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink2013 View Post
Vivints system is Cellular over 2 way Voice meaning it makes a cellular call with the 2 way voice feature active just like a cell phone call... Saying there is no such thing is crazy.

By having the 2 way voice it will always be a confirmation either way which means they can send the police right away...

Trust me I researched all of these things and talked to a officer and he confirmed everything the representative told me.
I never said there is no such thing as 2 way voice, it's just two separate systems, and what good is it if you are not home, just like Danknee said, most burglaries are done when no one is home, the problem with Vivint is that they are way over priced, most companies charge between $23.00-$30.00 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,346,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
That suggest a system worth $6,000 to $7,000. Sounds high to me by a factor of 2 or 3.

MacG...how much you got invested in your system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
since its all home brew stuff, and off the shelf prob round 2 grand

Jonathan
+1 for building your own

I'm about the same as Mac for cost, maybe $500 less. IP cams, wireless thermometers, many motions, glassbreaks, able to use a myriad of wireless sensors, reused existing door and window switches, installed and programmed new alarm mainboard and daughter board, multiple transmission methods, everything controlled via phone or computer. The route I went runs $7.50 per month for self monitoring (phone call+text+email on alarm, call the police yourself) or $15 per month for central monitoring. No contract, no BS because I own and can modify my equipment.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,142,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
+1 for building your own

I'm about the same as Mac for cost, maybe $500 less. IP cams, wireless thermometers, many motions, glassbreaks, able to use a myriad of wireless sensors, reused existing door and window switches, installed and programmed new alarm mainboard and daughter board, multiple transmission methods, everything controlled via phone or computer. The route I went runs $7.50 per month for self monitoring (phone call+text+email on alarm, call the police yourself) or $15 per month for central monitoring. No contract, no BS because I own and can modify my equipment.
Where did you get the boards? Recommend them?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:32 PM

3,671 posts, read 7,979,572 times
Quote:
He posted once before that he has an Ademco/Honeywell Vista 20P panel. Everything mentioned applies to a Vista 20P (wired/wireless contact support, optional wireless transceiver, relay output, and zone expander boards, cellular/internet communicator module w/interactive services), so I'd assume he still has the same system.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
He posted once before that he has an Ademco/Honeywell Vista 20P panel. Everything mentioned applies to a Vista 20P (wired/wireless contact support, optional wireless transceiver, relay output, and zone expander boards, cellular/internet communicator module w/interactive services), so I'd assume he still has the same system.
Correct. You can buy combined internet (BAT) and cellular daughter boards now too. They work with the major main boards (Honeywell, ademco). The service for those is typically $12 a month for self monitoring or $20 for central.

My only gripe with the ademco main board is the software I programmed it with was ancient. It didn't work with win7 so I had to run a virtual xp machine to run the software. You can actually program your alarm through key presses on the main key pad, but that would take a very, very long time. Note that by "program" I am just talking about setting up zone names, types of contacts (always open, always closed, etc.).

There is a newer ademco board out now that may be better and more user/installer friendly than the 20p. Also I have no experience with the Honeywell boards, maybe someone else can chime in on their interface.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I bought everything online, but the main website I bought from doesn't sell ademco stuff now. I would use Google, Amazon, and ebay (last resort) to find a bundled package that comes with the box, battery, main board, keypad, wireless transmitter, backup battery, programming software, and siren for a deal.

I buy extra keypads and sensors (wired and wireless) from eBay, only because they were significantly cheaper than the Amazon 3rd party sellers. This could have changed, so check Amazon too.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM

439 posts, read 491,548 times
what do I need to setup a motion detector that triggers a loud siren?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
Search "basic motion alarm"on Amazon. First result has decent ratings and runs only $30.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 PM

200 posts, read 482,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
You just need a relay and a power supply.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 AM

3,671 posts, read 7,979,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I bought everything online, but the main website I bought from doesn't sell ademco stuff now. I would use Google, Amazon, and ebay (last resort) to find a bundled package that comes with the box, battery, main board, keypad, wireless transmitter, backup battery, programming software, and siren for a deal.
The best deal for me ended up being a bundled system from homesecuritystore.com when they have a 10% off sale. I built a spreadsheet listing everything I needed, and the cheapest way to assemble it starting with a bundle from several different online vendors (the bundles are all different, and often contain stuff you don't want), and the lowest total came from starting with one of HSS's bundles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or