Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,748 times

Advertisements

My landlord/roommate has been harassing me to move two weeks prior to the end of July, 2013. I responded that I did not have a place to move yet. I am 61. He stated I must leave by midnight on the 31st or he would put my things out.
I served him at his work with a 30 day notice to vacate the 31st of July including request to cease and desist harassing electronic communication.

The response was so egregious that it shocks the conscience. Told me I was a "guest and time to leave"..but he signed a rental agreement requiring 30 day notice on both parties. The harassment was intense. I explained that I would have the rent in a couple of days due to my needing car repairs for my van. He said a 5 day notice would be given...that since I had forced him to act legally, he would not be nice.

He put another tenant in the house as well who is verbally abusive to me (my thermostat upstairs has a lock on it to avoid usage..which I hardly lower) and the tenant downstairs has no lock on her thermostat. My belongings have to stay in the garage and the living room now holds all her belongings, as does the kitchen, dining room and the upstairs bedroom as well as her downstairs bedroom.

The landlord left a 5 day pay or quit notice on a bookshelf by my bedroom door. He asked me to sign it and there was no other information on the form and he had the wrong date to file for the 5th day. He made it for Sat. Aug. 10, 2013 rather than the 5th judicial date of August 12, by noon, 2013.

He then went away and will not be back until August 12, 2013 sometime during the day.

My 5 day notice did not get signed by a witness or a server, had the wrong date, and no copy was forwarded to me in the US mails. I made a copy of the 5 day notice but save for my signature, there is nothing else on it.

I do not get to use the television in the room downstairs that has the Netflix box as the other tenant says .."you have no rights.you shouldn t even be here" and the harassment goes on.

I do have the monies for the rent in a money order..but I want to know..Should I file the Reply Affidavit and let the judge know that no service was witnessed and no copy received in the mails and the wrong date is on the form? Also, let the judge know about the harassment prior to any notices and after as well as the thermostat control, etc. ?

I have to do it by 12 noon tomorrow , Aug. 12, 2013.

Any response would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 PM

Default quitting and moving out by tomorrow

It is virtually impossible for me to just quit and wondered how a judge would handle what has transpired with the improper notice, service, etc.

I have lost a son who was fighting for our country and my other son is teaching in another country and am leaving to go to him via a friend helping with a buddy pass...and putting my car and stuff in a storage unit.

I do not find it too friendly here, considering the circumstances of my tragedy. I just don't know if people are jaded..living here in Las Vegas, and I am doing my best to keep it all together..even with two individuals who are definitely not nice...following the letter of the law is important to me. Hence, the 30 day written notice to him with a signature and time from the receptionist at his work.

If anyone has an idea what the judge would do about the 5 day notice not done right..or the other things happening..please respond.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:54 AM

164 posts, read 260,599 times
you can go to a judge but the best thing you need to do is find a safe place to live immediately somewhere else.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotops View Post
It is virtually impossible for me to just quit and wondered how a judge would handle what has transpired with the improper notice, service, etc.

I have lost a son who was fighting for our country and my other son is teaching in another country and am leaving to go to him via a friend helping with a buddy pass...and putting my car and stuff in a storage unit.

I do not find it too friendly here, considering the circumstances of my tragedy. I just don't know if people are jaded..living here in Las Vegas, and I am doing my best to keep it all together..even with two individuals who are definitely not nice...following the letter of the law is important to me. Hence, the 30 day written notice to him with a signature and time from the receptionist at his work.

If anyone has an idea what the judge would do about the 5 day notice not done right..or the other things happening..please respond.

Considering we can't hear the other side of the story (your landlord's side), and you haven't paid your rent according to what you promised, I'd say to get out as soon as you can. There are hundreds of ads on Craigslist and in the newspaper for rooms to rent, roommates wanted, etc.

If you are living in a single family residence and the owner is renting rooms out as opposed to renting the whole house out to a single renter, it's probably illegal for him to do so and possibly against the HOA rules if the house is located in one that prohibits this, so I don't know if court and a judge would bring you any satisfaction . Basically, if that's the case, whatever notice or seemingly any pretend legal action he may be trying to hit you with, is bogus and just a scare tactic and the unpleasantness being directed at you is intentional in order to get you to leave.

If you really believe your situation is because you live in Las Vegas and that the people are not friendly here, get out of the house you're in and get out of Las Vegas. You are making your own grief by staying.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:08 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
In general the only issue the judge will deal with is the rent. If you are prepared to put it up the eviction gets thrown out.

The only reason I can see why you wish to continue to play this dull game is to avoid an eviction which can haunt you trying to rent.

So it is up to you...but do not expect anything from the judge except cancelling the eviction if you have the rent.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Considering we can't hear the other side of the story (your landlord's side), and you haven't paid your rent according to what you promised, I'd say to get out as soon as you can. There are hundreds of ads on Craigslist and in the newspaper for rooms to rent, roommates wanted, etc.

If you are living in a single family residence and the owner is renting rooms out as opposed to renting the whole house out to a single renter, it's probably illegal for him to do so and possibly against the HOA rules if the house is located in one that prohibits this, so I don't know if court and a judge would bring you any satisfaction . Basically, if that's the case, whatever notice or seemingly any pretend legal action he may be trying to hit you with, is bogus and just a scare tactic and the unpleasantness being directed at you is intentional in order to get you to leave.

If you really believe your situation is because you live in Las Vegas and that the people are not friendly here, get out of the house you're in and get out of Las Vegas. You are making your own grief by staying.
It is not illegal to rent rooms in a home. May violate HOA rules but mostly not. This is Nevada....we do not ban things just for the hell of it.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:57 PM

171 posts, read 219,015 times
My guess is 1) the judge probably will let you stay for some time if you pay the rent, which allows you to find a place to stay; 2) with regards to the 5-day notice, the worst for the LL is redo it the right.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:38 PM

Default rent is in a money order on his desk

I do have the money for the rent. was not trying to not pay!

I just think the City is just so used to scammers that people cannot tell a real person from the perp.

I am virtually stuck as I leave the end of the month to teach overseas where my other son lives..

thanks for the posts

Yes, the other tenant seems to have actions towards me condoned by the landlord/roommate. Suxx..actually...she moved in after I did.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:39 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKBL View Post
My guess is 1) the judge probably will let you stay for some time if you pay the rent, which allows you to find a place to stay; 2) with regards to the 5-day notice, the worst for the LL is redo it the right.
Not in Vegas, it's landlord friendly through the courts. He'll get 48 hrs at most.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:22 PM

171 posts, read 219,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Not in Vegas, it's landlord friendly through the courts. He'll get 48 hrs at most.
The key is when you start count the 48 hrs. The OP can simply file an answer today, wait for a court date, show up and talk to the judge. If it is just the 5-day notice pay or quit, the LL has to accept the payment. If it involves something else, well, I don't know the whole story so won't comment on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: