U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 30,982,854 times
Reputation: 5359

Advertisements

Migranes? I have two words for you - Dr. Milne. Milne Medical Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Reputation: 61840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I get migraines and they usually go like this:

I use migraine prescription medication and, usually, it works.

If it doesn't work, then:

I go to a quick care where I must endure apathetic front office people, several hours of waiting in agonizing pain, half-hour or more wait in the smaller room, a series of questions by the doctor. Then more waiting for the nurse to come in and give me a shot of toradol. And then, of course, it takes another 20 minutes for the shot to take affect.

It is so degrading and I have to go through this several times a year.

So, although we are not wealthy by any means, I am seriously considering signing up for concierge medical service. It is expensive and not covered by insurance, although, I could probably get some reimbursement for the rate of an out of network provider and I have an FSA to alleviate some of the pain.

The only thing I can think of is go the concierge route. I found one that charges $250 a month and I am fairly certain that office visits are quite high as well.

I know that there are others out there and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it.
I have migraines as well but I "know" when I am getting a migraine instead of just a regular headache. That is when I take the first dose of my prescription medication and it helps. There is no real reason to go to a quick care (in my opinion) and you mentioned several times you are not wealthy BUT you would take money out of your budget for "concierge" medical care and STILL have to go to the office and wait in the waiting room then wait in the exam room then wait for the injection to take affect. So you are willing to pay quadruple for the same service.

I don't see how getting medical attention is degrading, who cares what the receptionists thinks about why you are there. It is NOT their job to determine if you should be there it is their job to process paperwork and information as quickly and efficiently as possible. It is only degrading because YOU allow them to continue to treat you however it is they treat you.

Find a good regular physician who will become very familiar with you and your medical needs and make appropriate arrangements for the times that you need something after regular business hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Paranoid State
12,685 posts, read 9,432,561 times
Reputation: 14942
My daughter has had great results from biofeedback. Biofeedback is so well documented as a treatment for migraines that most insurance companies cover it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 AM
 
13,482 posts, read 9,602,375 times
Reputation: 17435
What about self injectable Imitrex? Sumatriptan Injection: MedlinePlus Drug Information

It comes with a self-injector that takes the guess-work out. In fact, it was the first injection I ever gave a patient when I was a newbie to such things.

The amount you are being quoted for concierge care is quite high. I know a few people who have used concierge docs and it's usually $1500 per year. That does not include house calls, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 03:56 AM
 
261 posts, read 353,782 times
Reputation: 137
Hi, I am sorry about your pain. This is not directly to your problem but it is about concierge medicine. There are a few companies working on bringing concierge medicine to the masses. So far, none in LV that I know of. I am working on my MHA at UNLV and I am appalled at the business side of medicine. This will all change with the implementation of the PPACA. It will get much worse. Our best hope is that the system will break and someone will start all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 05:54 AM
 
13,482 posts, read 9,602,375 times
Reputation: 17435
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill618 View Post
Hi, I am sorry about your pain. This is not directly to your problem but it is about concierge medicine. There are a few companies working on bringing concierge medicine to the masses. So far, none in LV that I know of. I am working on my MHA at UNLV and I am appalled at the business side of medicine. This will all change with the implementation of the PPACA. It will get much worse. Our best hope is that the system will break and someone will start all over.
Amen. Having worked in healthcare on the administrative side for twenty-plus years here in the valley, I could tell you horror stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 AM
 
3,515 posts, read 4,358,303 times
Reputation: 4591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I would never pay a doctor that much for a house call even if I was filthy rich.
You might if you or someone you love were in unrelenting pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Can you get the MD to prescribe you the medication, and learn to inject yourself?
This particular drug they will not do that with. I've asked. The pill form does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Migranes? I have two words for you - Dr. Milne. Milne Medical Center
I've been to a headache specialist and the only thing they seem to be able to do is prescribe. No one is willing to try to find out why I am getting the headaches. So, daily meds and better meds when I have a headache. I have figured out on my own what some of my triggers are, but no doctor seems to be interested in doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What about self injectable Imitrex? Sumatriptan Injection: MedlinePlus Drug Information

It comes with a self-injector that takes the guess-work out. In fact, it was the first injection I ever gave a patient when I was a newbie to such things.

The amount you are being quoted for concierge care is quite high. I know a few people who have used concierge docs and it's usually $1500 per year. That does not include house calls, of course.
My first line of defense when I get a migraine is to take Imetrex or other triptans in pill form. And they work well, usually. But there is a limit on how much you can take in a 24 hour period. By the time I go to the quick care, I've use it all up. I assume that has never been offered to me for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have migraines as well but I "know" when I am getting a migraine instead of just a regular headache. That is when I take the first dose of my prescription medication and it helps.
I can tell a migraine from a regular headache as well and I take my first dose of prescription medication too. And, usually, it helps.

Quote:
There is no real reason to go to a quick care (in my opinion)
In your experience, actually.
Quote:
and you mentioned several times you are not wealthy BUT you would take money out of your budget for "concierge" medical care and STILL have to go to the office and wait in the waiting room then wait in the exam room then wait for the injection to take affect. So you are willing to pay quadruple for the same service.
Concierge medicine is supposed to mean no wait. My husband can drive me to the office and I should be able to get right in to get the medication I need. The point of this thread was to, hopefully, come across someone who has actually used a concierge doctor and find out what that person's experience has been.

The $500 is a one-time payment to an on-call doctor who will come directly to my house and give me the medication. The nice thing about this particular doctor is that once I have been seen by him, if I need anything in the future, I can just call him up and he would likely deal with other minor ailments over the phone and just phone in a prescription if that is what is needed, for a nominal fee.

Quote:
I don't see how getting medical attention is degrading, who cares what the receptionists thinks about why you are there. It is NOT their job to determine if you should be there it is their job to process paperwork and information as quickly and efficiently as possible. It is only degrading because YOU allow them to continue to treat you however it is they treat you.
It is degrading because either I or my husband has already told them what is wrong I am publicly weeping and vomiting from the pain and their attitude is that it's just another day in the office. The people who should care about your well being, THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE, don't. My insurance is $600 per month for me alone. In addition, I pay a plethora of co-pays. That should be enough for someone who I hire to care for my health care needs to give, at least, a crap.

They are not going to treat me like that again, that is why I am looking into alternatives.

But, good call. I was looking for condescension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,642,840 times
Reputation: 8987
PM sent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top