Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 AM

49 posts, read 80,915 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are considering a home purchase adjacent to the Spring Mountain - Durango Reservoir and Pumping Station.

How do I find out if there are any Electrical Dangers - EMF from the array
of Solar Panels, energy conversion EMF or Noise / Vibration Pollution from the water pumping system ?

I think I read about buying an EMF reading device ?

Anyone live near there ? Picture attached. Any comments ?

Thanks, LA Guy

Spring Mountain - Durango Reservoir and Pumping Station
Las Vegas Valley Water District - LVVWD

google maps address:
Spring Mountain Road and riley st las vegas nv

This facility has centrifugal pumps and solar panels on a large lot adjacent
to some nice single family homes on Spring Mountain Road.

Public info here:

Brief description of the Solar Project but no details
Solar Projects

Describes the Water Pumping Station but not the Solar Panels
(or are they solar panels ? )
Water district makes itself 'at home' | [primary-term] content from American City & County
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy a home next to a Water Pumping Station / Solar Panel Farm ?-springmtn-durango-pumpingstation-solarpanelfarm.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 PM

19 posts, read 41,671 times
They are probably solar panels, I have been to a couple sites that had a smaller amount of solar arrays.

I personally don't think the EMF would be something I would worry about.

The noise / vibration out of these stations are very minimal. Especially since this is a newer station that is build with the zone pumps underground with sound baffling material on the walls.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,221,704 times
You probably won't mind; but the thing is, what about resale? If you're worried about it, potential future buyers might be too. But they probably won't wait for you to tell them about it; they'll just move on to something else.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,345,608 times
I wouldn't worry that much, especially if you not in one of the houses closest to the fence line. I don't think this is going to generate enough EMF to worry about. Also EMF intensity drops off at the inverse of the square of the distance. So if you double the distance, you quarter the intensity, so only a little bit farther creates a big difference.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,221,704 times
The three rules of Real Estate:
1. Location
2. Location
3. Location

Why? Because some day you'll want to sell, and you don't want anything that would cause potential buyers to drive up, look around, and drive away.

I'll never understand people that buy homes near pig farms, airport runways, freeways, or just plain noisy, busy streets.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,473,584 times
Nice and well kept area in Spring Valley. The facility is surrounded by walls and landscaping. Quiet neighborhood and very convenient to shopping, dining, parks, schools and a short drive to the Strip. One of my sisters and I reside in the area.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:35 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,345,608 times
The location doesn't change. The reverse of what you say is true also. If it's going to have poor resale when you go to sell, it's probably cheap now. If you have a bunch of kids, and you needs a good amount of space, but you can't afford what that would cost in a better location, you buy in a worse location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The three rules of Real Estate:
1. Location
2. Location
3. Location

Why? Because some day you'll want to sell, and you don't want anything that would cause potential buyers to drive up, look around, and drive away.

I'll never understand people that buy homes near pig farms, airport runways, freeways, or just plain noisy, busy streets.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,921,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
What I don't understand are the people who buy houses in these places, and then expect taxpayers to pick up the check to mitigate the problem. This happened back home. Homeowners who bought near the airport successfully got the city to put up noise barriers. Ridiculous.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:11 PM

419 posts, read 903,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
What I don't understand are the people who buy houses in these places, and then expect taxpayers to pick up the check to mitigate the problem. This happened back home. Homeowners who bought near the airport successfully got the city to put up noise barriers. Ridiculous.
Like the ones who build along the Mississippi and flood every couple years. The TV reporter is always
there to ask, "What do you folks plan to do?"...and they exclaim, "We're going to rebuild!"

Of course with the help of government (taxpayer) money.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,422,076 times
EFM is worse than noise.
....just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas