U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM

17,546 posts, read 34,683,254 times

Advertisements

Interesting posts, but many are off topic and not locally related. Back to topic, please.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,873,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
rid of as many "wants" as possible lets people focus on the "needs." That's where the good life is, anyway.
Who wins in the game of life? The person who spends the most in their lifetime or the person that has saved the most right before their death?

In other words, would you had rather blew 20 million in a lifetime or saved 20 million right before death?

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,873,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Interesting posts, but many are off topic and not locally related. Back to topic, please.
Oh yeah, back to the "home buying frenzy".

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM

629 posts, read 982,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Who wins in the game of life? The person who spends the most in their lifetime or the person that has saved the most right before their death?
Neither. The one who wins is the one who learns that the most valuable things in life can't be counted with gold coins.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,669,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
Neither. The one who wins is the one who learns that the most valuable things in life can't be counted with gold coins.
This.

A "problem" is something that cannot be fixed by simply throwing money at it. I had a very, very wise boss in Key West who taught me this. He also said, "Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care." And, "It's a hell of a lot easier to actually care about people than it is to pretend that you do."

Best boss I ever had. And he was a timeshare broker. I worked for this guy for two years and it changed my life. And I made a metric [censored]-ton of money working for him. Set me on the path of financial independence. That and marrying well.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 PM

244 posts, read 286,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
No.

The Fed will only taper down AFTER it sees that this recovery is self-sustaining.

Watch and learn:
Appaloosa’s Tepper Bullish on Stocks (Still) | The Big Picture
The Fed "exit strategy" does not exist...

eMoneyShow - Las Vegas, NV. 2013

Peter Schiff 2013 - Speech at MoneyShow 2013, Las Vegas - YouTube

Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,197,480 times
Quote:
85f is not child abuse. I can keep it at that temperature all summer long for less than $100 per month.

"But it got old quick. I wasn't living life to the fullest."

And that's the hump that people need to get over. Eventually you get to the point where you don't worry about money. I'm not saying starve yourself and live like a monk. But people need to realize that the only needs in this life are air, water, food, shelter, love. Everything else is a "want." Some are more reasonable "wants" than others. Getting rid of as many "wants" as possible lets people focus on the "needs." That's where the good life is, anyway.
If people only knew what the rest of the population on earth lived like they might live more humble lives and not feel such an entitlement that the government should take care of them. American goods are so cheap in comparison to other places. Even CHINESE made products are more expensive in China than in USA. I still don't know how that works.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
If people only knew what the rest of the population on earth lived like they might live more humble lives and not feel such an entitlement that the government should take care of them. American goods are so cheap in comparison to other places. Even CHINESE made products are more expensive in China than in USA. I still don't know how that works.
Same reason pineapples are more expensive in Hawaii than they are here on the mainland.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:54 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,197,480 times
Quote:
Same reason pineapples are more expensive in Hawaii than they are here on the mainland.
Well I understand the basic concept of a trade agreement but at what point does China say, "To hell with USA consumers, we're gonna sell to our own population"?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Well I understand the basic concept of a trade agreement but at what point does China say, "To hell with USA consumers, we're gonna sell to our own population"?
Doesn't matter. It's all about buying power. Hawaii may have all the pineapples, but they don't consume much. Even if every one of them is eating a pineapple every week, that doesn't compare to the US mainland. That's why a pineapple costs $10 in Maui and $3 in Las Vegas. Buying power.

You wouldn't believe how little we pay at restaurants for the same stuff people buy in grocery stores. Same reason. Buying power. We buy in bulk and pay a lot less. That's just how it is.

China will not be able to take advantage of that until they start buying their cheap junk in the same quantities as Americans. And that's why America needs a strong middle class. We're losing the middle class, fast. And we're paying the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas