U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 AM

3,515 posts, read 4,358,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Adobe air/Mastercool went out of business about 5 years ago, they were the largest cooler manufacturer for 65 years. Bad management I'd say!
Champion coolers bought the Mastercool name and use it on their single inlet model, although it's nowhere as good as the Adobe air version.
Champion also builds a version of a precooler, the model is IM70 and it can be ordered through Lowes or Home Depot, they are both Champion cooler suppliers.

I installed the Adobe air 2 stage unit in my neighbors house just before they went under, I'll go over there today and take a temp reading of the airflow, its quite phenominal.

Not only does the precooler cool the air before it hits the cooler but the humidity in the house also runs around 15% less, some days it feels like the air conditioning is running.
We were at Lowe's last night and there was a Mastercool on the shelf. From what we could gather from our research last night, the precooler is a separate attachment. We didn't see what we thought would be a precooler at Lowe's, but we didn't know what to look for at the time either.

I actually like the humidity that the evaporative coolers throw into the house. Air conditioning drys everything out too much.

$2000 seems like a lot for a swamp cooler, but compared to a new air conditioner, it's much cheaper and depending on your consumption habits, it may pay for itself in one summer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:35 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,642,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
The swamp cooler that we would use to cool the attic is in the garage and is vented up into the attic. It's not actually in the attic. Its amazing how cool the swamp cooler keeps that garage. It was 65 degrees in there last night after the sun went down.
At night, even in July, the swamp cooler can cool the house so well that I need to turn it off. It's just too freakin' cold, and I'm not going to grab a quilt in July. That's just dumb.

I keep looking for the indirect second stage unit. I tried Lowe's. Didn't see anything. I'm going to try craigslist for a used one. I'll go to Meads Hardware as well. Those guys specialize in evaporative cooling. All I've found is "coming soon." http://www.essickair.com/products/co...rcial/im70-120

Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
At night, even in July, the swamp cooler can cool the house so well that I need to turn it off. It's just too freakin' cold, and I'm not going to grab a quilt in July. That's just dumb.
Good to know. Boy, do I sleep better when it's cold and I have to bundle up.

Quote:
I keep looking for the indirect second stage unit. I tried Lowe's. Didn't see anything. I'm going to try craigslist for a used one. I'll go to Meads Hardware as well. Those guys specialize in evaporative cooling. All I've found is "coming soon." http://www.essickair.com/products/co...rcial/im70-120
We looked at that last night and that is only the precooler. Here it is with a price:

Champion Coolers IM70 ULTRACOOL

$2179 and then the evaporative cooler is another $800. Now we are up to $3000. Still, I think it would pay for itself fairly quickly, especially for someone with a large house that only uses an air conditioner.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 PM

When my current cooler dies, I might just go that route. It's hard to justify $3K to get an additional 5-10f, especially when there's nothing particularly wrong with my current set-up.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
When my current cooler dies, I might just go that route. It's hard to justify $3K to get an additional 5-10f, especially when there's nothing particularly wrong with my current set-up.
I think these cool an extra 10 to 20 degrees beyond regular coolers - I could be wrong on this, though. If people here started installing these, I think it would be sufficient for 99% of the hot weather. Another added benefit is it would really hit NV Energy's bottom line.

We've been using our swamp cooler - the one that is installed in the garage, and have not yet turned on our air. The warmest it has been in the house is about 85 degrees. Several hours after the sun goes down it gets down to 78 and then I can sleep. In the next week or so, we are getting our other swamp cooler for the main part of the house and I expect it will keep it much cooler.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM

681 posts, read 4,057,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
We were at Lowe's last night and there was a Mastercool on the shelf. From what we could gather from our research last night, the precooler is a separate attachment. We didn't see what we thought would be a precooler at Lowe's, but we didn't know what to look for at the time either.

I actually like the humidity that the evaporative coolers throw into the house. Air conditioning drys everything out too much.

$2000 seems like a lot for a swamp cooler, but compared to a new air conditioner, it's much cheaper and depending on your consumption habits, it may pay for itself in one summer.
You have to special order the precooler from lowes, last I checked it was 2 grand but it will let you run a cooler on a day where everyone else has to shut theirs off.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
You have to special order the precooler from lowes, last I checked it was 2 grand but it will let you run a cooler on a day where everyone else has to shut theirs off.
That's what we found too (see link above). I dunno. It seems like a regular swamp cooler may just do the job. We have a small house and don't really need to cool much of it.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:22 PM

772 posts, read 1,491,052 times
NVEnergy is currently offering several instant rebates (no paperwork required) for air conditioning systems including tuneups, fan motor replacement, and duct sealing.

https://www.nvenergy.com/home/saveen...bates/checkme/

From what I've heard, most fan motors (the one in the attic) are AC powered, but the ones in this deal are DC, which use half of the power. The WCC unit keeps the fan running for several minutes after the compressor shuts down, so the cooling that has been generated is not wasted.

Overall, it seems like a good deal if you know or suspect your system needs some work.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 PM

I did all of this last year, and learned that my system already exceeded anything the NVenergy-recommended HVAC guy was prepared to install.

If you have a newer system, this is probably a waste of time and money. But for someone in an older home, this could result in much lower bills.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM

3,671 posts, read 7,979,572 times
Quote:
If you have a newer system, this is probably a waste of time and money. But for someone in an older home, this could result in much lower bills.
Anything newer is going to far exceed the EER of 8 or lower that you need to qualify for the rebates on new heat pump and A/C condensers. Your equipment will have to be almost 20 years old or older to have an EER that low. The original equipment on my home built in 1987 had a SEER of 9, although I believe it was an upgrade to the builder's model. So maybe by the mid-90s or so EER values exceeded 8 on new equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or