U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,733,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
This video that has been all over the news recently seems very appropriate for this thread.

High School Student Teaches the Teacher a Lesson! (Enhanced Audio) - YouTube

(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
That is yet another problem...the teacher who has retired in place. That is if the kid is correct and he may not be. I learned basic heavy math from a guy who was a brilliant mathematician and a terrible teacher. About 2/3 of the time I considered him brilliant - that was the part of the time when I had the concepts down and could marvel and enjoy the intricacies and fine points of exceptional math. The other 1/3 of the time I spent hours of agony often relieved only by the assistance of other students who got particular pieces better than i did. This guy should have taught a graduate level math but should never have been let loose at freshman.

My issue with Scoop is and remains the mission of a public school system. It has some requirements that it see to the education of the bright...but that is not very important. The mission of a public school system in my mind is to do a reasonable job educating the middle. The middle is those below the Bright and above the hopeless.

The hardest part is that we don't really know how to do that or even judge the success of a teacher at doing it. There is still no believable way to judge the performance of a teacher. Some limited capabilities to d\separate the best and kthe worst may be available but little else. And I am not sure that helps a lot on the question of how a school system best meets it goals.

Note there is actually an agreement here i think among us all though we say it in different ways. The primary factor in the performance of a school is the demographics of the students. We say it different ways - but we are really saying the same thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,388,075 times
Got one kid in a Charter (Quest) and the other in Magnet(first Sandy Miller now Hyde Park)

Quest is a real family feel sort of place but I am not sure the education is all that great, but we barely survived the school year to be honest. Lots of drama. It woke up the parents though and now we have some very capable people running the place.

Hyde Park seems pretty good so far. We also have him in Sage academy which is part of the NSHE. They are not doing it this year though.

The Magnet school is definitely more challenging and engaging. They happen to be a science and math school.

Back in my younger days I had a couple of teachers for GF's and they were pretty wild ladies :P

I was surprised to say the least.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:07 AM

10,869 posts, read 14,197,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
My issue with Scoop is and remains the mission of a public school system. It has some requirements that it see to the education of the bright...but that is not very important. The mission of a public school system in my mind is to do a reasonable job educating the middle. The middle is those below the Bright and above the hopeless.
That is of PARAMOUNT importance. There is NOTHING more important than the education of the gifted. They're the only ones who have a shot of fixing the mess we have created for them. We're not even very good at recognizing the gifted students, let alone helping them reach their full potential. There are just as many gifted Latino and black kids as there are whites and Asians (per capita, at least). Why should we waste a Mozart, Hawking, Tesla or DaVinci just because they happen to live in an impoverished neighborhood?

The average and sub-average kids will be on their couches in 20 years, watching the next iteration of American Idol. I want them to reach their full potential as well. But "average consumers" are not going to change the world.

The mission of ANY school system is to help students reach their full potential. Not getting the bright and the gifted to their full potential is a waste of the most precious resource humanity has at it's disposal.

And that is where you and I diverge.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,250,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That is of PARAMOUNT importance. There is NOTHING more important than the education of the gifted. They're the only ones who have a shot of fixing the mess we have created for them. We're not even very good at recognizing the gifted students, let alone helping them reach their full potential. There are just as many gifted Latino and black kids as there are whites and Asians (per capita, at least). Why should we waste a Mozart, Hawking, Tesla or DaVinci just because they happen to live in an impoverished neighborhood?

The average and sub-average kids will be on their couches in 20 years, watching the next iteration of American Idol. I want them to reach their full potential as well. But "average consumers" are not going to change the world.

The mission of ANY school system is to help students reach their full potential. Not getting the bright and the gifted to their full potential is a waste of the most precious resource humanity has at it's disposal.

The fact that we can all have a civilized discussion on these types of issues, even when opinions diverge, is why I like this website.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,944 times
This helps alot! I'm moving this summer to LV (Henderson) and would love to be in the Coronado High school district. Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,733,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Actually you are conceding the discussion. If the mission of the school is to realize the full potential of every student than optimizing the top few percent is a very small portion of the task. And that few percent at the top often find other ways to optimize their education.

Your assertion that all groups are equal in their potential for intellectual achievement is an act of faith. There is no conclusive data to prove that it is true.

I would also point out that the bright often self fulfill against quite substantial odds. My favorite is a friend who ended up with a Phd in Physics though he never graduated from high school.

And note that not all the bright do well...some even fail utterly even after achieving educational heights.

While I have no real objection to elitist education I continue to insist it should occur only after the overall goal has been achieved. It is not the important goal in running a large school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas