U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:43 PM

511 posts, read 640,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Dumb question, what is the THC?
Could it be fatfinger typo...

TGC
The Grand Canyon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM

13,482 posts, read 9,606,542 times
jojoindy,

Welcome to the valley!

We do have some museums here, though they are nothing compared to what you would find back east. Check out the Springs Preserve which has a recently moved museum. Here are some more:Las Vegas Museums

Zoos. (sigh) The little zoo that we have on Rancho is privately owned and in desperate need of TLC. Maybe if we all banded together (CDers) and showed up to spend a little cash, they could upgrade. They need it. The other one is at Bonnie Springs,(so worth the day trip, just for the mountain views) but since the owner got sick, the animals are not being cared for in a proper manner.

People here drive like idiots. When I was teaching my son to drive I said, " Pretend you are playing a video game and everyone on the road is out to kill you."

Art: We have an arts district (pathetic though it is, by some measures) and it's an up and coming scene. Start here: Emergency Arts - Home

Churches: Las Vegas has one of the highest per-capita ratios of churches to people in the country for a city of this size. (We need to pray, honey, especially in August. )

You are correct that 99 degrees is comfortable here. Wait till it's 113. Then we get pissy.

Yes, Vegas does have a small town feel for it's size. It's also a very incestuous town in terms of individual industries. Be careful what you say to whom, because everybody knows everybody.

I don't know where the hipsters are because I'm not even sure what that term represents these days.

Again, welcome.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,284 times
2. Misconception, North Las Vegas is not ghetto.

The people who say "NLV is ghetto" are the same people who have lived here less than a decade and don't realize that the *actual* locals can't stand them, because more often than not, they're snobs from Summerlin. Talk to people born here. We will all tell you we can't f'ing stand people who live West. Eastside, Olde ye Henderson, and not the "uppity" part of North LV (as in, Northtown)? Absolutely - this is where you'll find the best people. Trust me; no BS with me here.

3. The Midwest is hotter than this place on a 99 degree day. However, I will hide when it's 110!

Sweetie, if you've been here a week, then you can't possibly make that assumption. We're actually "cold" for this time of year. We should have already hit the 100's by now. Wait until next week, or mid-July, and then we'll talk weather.

6. People drive fast but it's no NYC, or DC.

Thanks for the almost-endearing compliment, but people drive like morons here. 9/10, they're from California.

7. People keep to themselves, but are nice when you reach out. You will not find small talk North of the Mason Dixon Line.

We keep to ourselves to refrain from hustlers and beggars. What do you expect, it's Vegas, right? (;

8. The mountains are stunning!

Oh, thank sediment!

9. Idiots pray on idiots, watch your wallet and pay attention to your surrounds. X'ing fingers

This goes for anywhere.

10. The Catholic Churches are busy and diverse. Sin city has a soul!

Well done.

11. No museums, no zoo's, little art.
12. Where are the Hipsters??

For 11 & 12, try First Friday. You seem like you'd like it there. That's where our hipsters go.

14. Small town feel.

Someone pointed out that this was silly of you to say. To the person who did and said, "lol im frum a smll town back east" - no. Just no. Vegas actually IS small; you're just a transplant and don't know anyone because you came here after "the surge". If you've been here long enough to remember the city building Green Valley, then you can talk. I run into people all the time who I haven't seen in ages, or meet people to which I have many mutual friends. Stick to what you know with your 4,000 population and don't talk about a place you didn't grow up in. Maybe this is why you don't think it's a small town, eh?

"I think I will make this town my home!"

Goodie. Don't litter and over-water your lawn. If you see a hot
20-something blonde girl driving a Bug, come say hi. I may give you a ride to up our transportation score.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM

4,962 posts, read 8,681,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Feels hotter. Vegas at 102 feels like an 85 degree midwestern day. a 99 degree day in Vegas can feel cold if you are in the water and the sun dips behind a cloud.

I also have to comment on the "no museums" thing. They do exist! Just visited the Mob Museum for the second time and Neon Museum for the first time.

Heck, just walking around inside Caesars and the Forum Shops is like visiting a museum!
Yeah right, 99 and you feel cold. What are you in an ice bath?

I love the exaggeration in this forum about the weather.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 PM

391 posts, read 864,546 times
Actually. Evaporation combined with a little wind when you get out of a pool in 100+ is no joke. I have a four year old that took swim classes all last summer that can attest to it. Now not wet? Hot as hell.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,257,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslikeitis View Post
2. Misconception, North Las Vegas is not ghetto.

The people who say "NLV is ghetto" are the same people who have lived here less than a decade and don't realize that the *actual* locals can't stand them, because more often than not, they're snobs from Summerlin. Talk to people born here. We will all tell you we can't f'ing stand people who live West. Eastside, Olde ye Henderson, and not the "uppity" part of North LV (as in, Northtown)? Absolutely - this is where you'll find the best people. Trust me; no BS with me here. I'm not in NLV but just below in the 95 crook it's no ghetto...it's not very white...mostly Hispanics, but it's definitely no ghetto....people in LV don't know what a ghetto is!

3. The Midwest is hotter than this place on a 99 degree day. However, I will hide when it's 110! Anything over 105 pretty much feels the same....from the inside where it's air conditioned

Sweetie, if you've been here a week, then you can't possibly make that assumption. We're actually "cold" for this time of year. We should have already hit the 100's by now. Wait until next week, or mid-July, and then we'll talk weather.

6. People drive fast but it's no NYC, or DC. Don't get a ticket here...they're expensive!!!

Thanks for the almost-endearing compliment, but people drive like morons here. 9/10, they're from California. YUP! Funny anecdote: I was driving and a car up ahead did something idiotic, without thinking I said I guarantee they have California plates!....they DID, but the people in my cab were ALSO from CA! ...OOPS!

7. People keep to themselves, but are nice when you reach out. You will not find small talk North of the Mason Dixon Line. True, but Las Vagans seem friendlier than other places I've been.

We keep to ourselves to refrain from hustlers and beggars. What do you expect, it's Vegas, right? (; True!

8. The mountains are stunning! They're nice...I kinda got used to CO's Mountains though...

Oh, thank sediment!

9. Idiots pray on idiots, watch your wallet and pay attention to your surrounds. X'ing fingers

This goes for anywhere. PREY! it would be nice if they just PRAYED though...

Well done. ....and it's soul is BURNING! ...sorry, I couldn't resist!

11. No museums, no zoo's, little art. Plenty of art...you just gotta look. Zoos? Hang out around White Cross....it's a zoo! Plenty of wildlife anyway!

12. Where are the Hipsters?? Oh, we call them Douches here....they go back to CA on Sunday night.

For 11 & 12, try First Friday. You seem like you'd like it there. That's where our hipsters go.

14. Small town feel.

Someone pointed out that this was silly of you to say. To the person who did and said, "lol im frum a smll town back east" - no. Just no. Vegas actually IS small; you're just a transplant and don't know anyone because you came here after "the surge". If you've been here long enough to remember the city building Green Valley, then you can talk. I run into people all the time who I haven't seen in ages, or meet people to which I have many mutual friends. Stick to what you know with your 4,000 population and don't talk about a place you didn't grow up in. Maybe this is why you don't think it's a small town, eh? It really does have a small town feel here...can't quite explain it but it does!

"I think I will make this town my home!"

Goodie. Don't litter and over-water your lawn. If you see a hot
20-something blonde girl driving a Bug, come say hi. I may give you a ride to up our transportation score. Know any hot redheads driving a Dodge? Preferably a Challenger, Charger or Truck

One other thing I found I really like here is the grocery stores! Lots of good ones! Cheap too!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 PM

13,482 posts, read 9,606,542 times
[quote=vegaslikeitis;29499073]2. Misconception, North Las Vegas is not ghetto.

The people who say "NLV is ghetto" are the same people who have lived here less than a decade and don't realize that the *actual* locals can't stand them, because more often than not, they're snobs from Summerlin. Talk to people born here. We will all tell you we can't f'ing stand people who live West. Eastside, Olde ye Henderson, and not the "uppity" part of North LV (as in, Northtown)? Absolutely - this is where you'll find the best people. Trust me; no BS with me here.

Shhh. If people realized how nice portions of NLV are, we'd have the traffic problems that tend to plague the Anthem area.

I attended Tom Williams Elementary, lived on Ellis, and have been around our version of the ghetto. It's a cakewalk.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 PM

4,962 posts, read 8,681,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
Actually. Evaporation combined with a little wind when you get out of a pool in 100+ is no joke. I have a four year old that took swim classes all last summer that can attest to it. Now not wet? Hot as hell.
Come on that is ridiculous. I had a pool in Vegas for 5 years and never felt cold unless I used it when it was under 80 degrees. The average pool in summer is so warm to begin with you are barely getting cooling effects unless a strong chiller is being used.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 AM

12,973 posts, read 12,145,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Come on that is ridiculous. I had a pool in Vegas for 5 years and never felt cold unless I used it when it was under 80 degrees. The average pool in summer is so warm to begin with you are barely getting cooling effects unless a strong chiller is being used.
I regularly use the pool to cool. i am of course well older than 4 but I find it quite comfortable for about 10 or 15 minutes by simply getting out of the pool with the temperature at 105.. Than I go in the pool again. Works for hours.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:32 AM

586 posts, read 768,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoindy View Post
I have been here for a week. Here are my observations.

1. VERY clean vs. other large cities.
2. Misconception, North Las Vegas is not ghetto. Nor is Harlem ghetto these days. I have lived and travel through Baltimore, NYC, Philly, Chicago and DC. Those cities have MAJOR problems.
3. The Midwest is hotter than this place on a 99 degree day. However, I will hide when it's 110!
4. There are beggars and hustlers in every city, sure
Vegas is worse, but what would you expect?
5. The public transportation is not bad, I just doesn't come very often.
6. People drive fast but it's no NYC, or DC.
7. People keep to themselves, but are nice when you reach out. You will not find small talk North of the Mason Dixon Line.
8. The mountains are stunning!
11. No museums, no zoo's, little art.
12. Where are the Hipsters??
13. If NYC is the "concrete jungle"'than LV is the concrete desert.
14. Small town feel * 2
15. The pace is much slower than out East.

8.5/10
* I haven't seen Lake Mead or THC.

I think I will make this town my home!
If you like the mountains you should definitely go to Lake Mead before it dries out. They have a ferry ride. I enjoyed it. The best time to go there is when we have the isolated thunderstorms in the area. You'll see some breathtaking sites then. The lake is overrun by these invasive shellfish called Quaga (spelling?). I'd also recommend going up to Mt. Charleston. Both places are beautiful. For art you can go to the Arts District and there is always First Friday. They have a few museums but you have to look closely for them. The Lead Discovery museum is always a fun place for the children. I understand that they recently moved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or