U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 02:18 PM

19 posts, read 32,427 times

Advertisements

I am looking to get out of the city for a couple nights, can I get some recommendations on where to go?

I am willing to drive 2-3 hours preferably in the Utah direction. (The reason is, closest Texas Roadhouse is in St. George, would be nice to take my wife their for mothers day on Sunday while driving back through)

Also, where would be the best place to get firewood? I would imagine the hills/desert wood is picked pretty cleanly over the years.

Thanks for the help,

Bird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,049,458 times
Mt Charleston is the closest. Valley of Fire is another option towards Utah.

Zion would be next closest, around 3 hours. There isn't a lot in the Utah direction within a 2-3 hour distance.

Eagle Valley is around 3-3.5 hours more towards central nevada (near Pioche).

I usually find firewood for sale on Craigslist and buy a pickup truck bed load at a time, storing it at my house until I need it. It gets real expensive buying it $5 for 4-5 pieces at a time. I can usually get a pickup truck bed full for around $60-$100, usually from tree trimmers who sell the wood to make a few extra bucks. That lasts me 4-5 years.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,080,276 times
Heck, you don't need to travel far at all to camp. Go 20 minutes in any direction and you hit BLM land. That's where I camp in both states. No services and no fees. You're on your own - just the way I like it.

Bill

Old 05-10-2013, 06:25 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,894,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Heck, you don't need to travel far at all to camp. Go 20 minutes in any direction and you hit BLM land. That's where I camp in both states. No services and no fees. You're on your own - just the way I like it.

Bill
and you don't take shower for days because it's all dessert out there.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 PM

12,686 posts, read 31,009,508 times
Zion Nat'l Park but not sure if there are restrictions on campfires due to fire danger right now, and you probably need reservations. Campgrounds in Zion - Zion National Park

There are a couple of RV campgraounds in Springdale (gateway to the park) that might allow tent camping. Springdale Utah Camping | Springdale Ut Camping*|*Travelwest

There is all kinds of camping in the St. George area. http://freecampsites.net/attribute/states/ut/

Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
and you don't take shower for days because it's all dessert out there.
I too doubt very much cakes and pie will help keep one clean in the desert.

Seriously, though - I figured out years ago how to take a sponge bath with just a small 16oz bottle of drinking water. When you're out in the desert on your own, you make things work. It's part of the challenge.

Bill

Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,824,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post

Bill
I've noticed fences keeping you off what appears to be BLM land anywhere you go. North to Apex, South to Laughlin turnoff. I don't see how the public can access public land!

Old 05-11-2013, 04:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,805,557 times
Getting fire wood is usually not a problem. Look for areas that have previously hit by wildfire in recent years and collect to your hearts desire.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I've noticed fences keeping you off what appears to be BLM land anywhere you go. North to Apex, South to Laughlin turnoff. I don't see how the public can access public land!
Good point. When you're near populated areas there is often fencing - typically for range control and to keep people from creating new entry/egress points. What I do is take a close look at Google maps before I go into an area to see where trail heads are. They're usually pretty easy to spot.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas