U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:01 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,653,187 times

Advertisements

Your grandmother's burger is USDA choice (because there weren't any lower grades back in the day, at least not for people), hand ground through a grinder. It was cooked rare to medium rare and eaten on a locally made bun with locally grown toppings and scratch-made condiments.

That's why granny's burgers tasted so good... It takes a village to make a hamburger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 04:29 AM

69,353 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Being a DC guy, I'm always biased to 5 Guys. The key is to order the smaller portion burger and fries because they will give way more than expected, plus once you dip them in the malt vinegar, heaven.

In-N-Out: Sorry, but absolutely the worst fries on the planet and I have had them every way possible. Burger King has better fries than In-N-Out.

Tommy's: Simple burger and very good fries. If the new one on Craig didn't open, I would drive to St. Rose rather than eat at In-N-Out.

Smashburger: Not bad at all, nothing special. I would say the same about Steak and Shake, Freddy's
Fries at In&Out, I agree, they are freshly cut and good if you get and eat them when they are hot: let them even get to warm and I throw them out. I can't say worst, but there are a lot of places better.

5 guys: I feel about them the way you do about In&Out fries: they have good fries, but the servings are wasted cause they are too big and for the price, I don't think the burgers are all that great. Of course we all have our biases. I guess, being raised in So. CA. at the beginning of the In&Out days I am biased.

Scoop: I don't care where the meat comes from or how much it costs for a # I still say, a hamburger isn't meant to be a gourmet meal.

There is reason every survey that is done, nationally, always has In&Out rated high, for the price. and I am not thinking gourmet burgers, they don't market themselves as anything other than a fast food burger that is made fresh, with fresh ingredients.

It is amazing how subjective food is.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:44 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,728,881 times
Scoop,

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet hard currency that "Granny's" burger wasn't cooked rare or medium rare. Today, we realize that rare or medium rare is safe to eat, but 50 years ago, hamburgers were cooked well done.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,653,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Scoop,

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet hard currency that "Granny's" burger wasn't cooked rare or medium rare. Today, we realize that rare or medium rare is safe to eat, but 50 years ago, hamburgers were cooked well done.
Depends on the granny. Some grannies thought carpaccio was the bees-knees. Other grannies whipped up a mean steak tartare. That's why some cuisines are better than others -- better grannies.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,152,474 times
I will rarely go for a hamburger but when I do it is either McD or In and Out for takeout or Steiners to sit and eat. I find the Steiner burgers about as nice as it gets short of extreme pricing. Around $10 with an $8 special one day a week. Wife is in to In and Out. I actually prefer McD. Tried Tommy's - NaH.

But try Steiners...The Treasure Island is as good as it gets....

Old 08-22-2014, 12:43 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,018,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I will rarely go for a hamburger but when I do it is either McD or In and Out for takeout or Steiners to sit and eat. I find the Steiner burgers about as nice as it gets short of extreme pricing. Around $10 with an $8 special one day a week. Wife is in to In and Out. I actually prefer McD. Tried Tommy's - NaH.

But try Steiners...The Treasure Island is as good as it gets....
I have to agree. Steiner's really makes a great burger.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:49 PM

123 posts, read 219,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
While I appreciate your input, could you PLEASE learn the concept of paragraphs? Your wall of text hurts the eyes.
yes, sorry! I think I get so passionate on this burger concept that I forget lol...

Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
If thin is your thing. Then I highly recommend FatBoy Burger. They are a small mom and pop shop andd they aim to please.

I was buying grass fed a couple of years ago and I know of the quality you describe; along with the right amount of fat percentage....yum. I've been working on perfecting my homemade hamburgers and a few tips that have worked for me is to just use pepper to char and not to add salt til after the char (crust) as the salt metabolizes the outer layer making the inside undercooked and the out side rubbery. Might be best just to make it at home.
Thanks for the Fatboy tip, I'll try it....I've tried making burgers at home that remind me of the diner burger, but no luck whatsoever with that so far....I simply can't recreate it in an "at home" situation....no matter what I do. Has a lot to do with the type of meat, and other variables that a home cook can't replicate or is extremely difficult to do, just like I can't replicate restaurant pancakes or other restaurant/diner items at home...but thanks for the tip about salt, I will remember that

Old 08-22-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired at 44 View Post
I suspect there are two issues:
  • The meat has changed over the years
  • Your tastebuds have changed over the years
The meat has changed for the worse, and the cooking methods have changed. My tastebuds haven't changed because as indicated in my first post, I had a burger exactly like what I wanted at a hotel in Simi Valley. It was a high quality, probably sirloin blend (I'm no expert on hamburger/beef blends so I'm using the term sirloin), and it was done to perfection (well done), very simple condiments, lettuce on the side (I never put lettuce on a burger, and never did as a kid, either), sesame seed bun, lightly toasted, a bit buttery, and it was perfect. It was the type of restaurant burger that was standard in the 1950's, thru the 1970's at least. I went back there twice, the second time I had it with cheese, and it was perfect and simple and great, about $8.99 from their regular restaurant menu. So, I know this type of burger is out there. And my tastebuds still know it when I get it!

Old 08-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Butterflybird,

First, I remember the burgers of your youth. I, too, grew up in California in the 50s. There used to be a diner in Long Beach owned by a former railroad man. He had a U-shaped counter that he had built a model railroad track around. When you ordered your burger and fries, he would send them out from the kitchen on a flat car and stop the train in front of you. As a kid, it didn't get any better than that!

The burgers I used to like back then, and into the 60s, had what I would guess was a 1/3 lb patty. Condiments came on the plate and you could use what you like and leave the rest. Bun was plain, but steamed, and if I remember correctly, had a slight amount of butter on the outside. As you say, the meat had a better flavor.

I truly believe that the current fascination with bacon on everything comes from the fact that the meat most fast food restaurants use has no particular flavor. So they use bacon, cheese, jalapenos, anything to keep you from noticing that the beef has no flavor.

My suggestion for you is to try 5 Guys. They have a small burger and a large burger. Try the small burger, ask for lettuce, mayo, pickles and nothing more. It reminds me of the old-style burgers I used to
like.
Yes, there were variations of this type of burger....some were on sesame seed bun, others were a regular bun with a light sheen of grease/oil on the bun. I also used to love Bob's Big Boy which were a variation on the theme, absolutely fabulous, sit down restaurant (Bob's was not fast food), and great quality. I TOTALLY agree with you about the bacon phenomenon. It's to cover up the flavorless low quality beef. Same goes for all the jalapeno crap or BBQ nonsense. (not that I don't like a great BBQ or quacamole burger, used to have some absolutely fabulous ones in the 60's in Cali), but today it's being done to cover up garbage, not to enhance an already awesome piece of beef. And by beef, I don't mean some exotic piece of Kobe beef or some such item that has to be shipped in from outer space. I mean top quality blends like they used to use as a matter of normal standards 30 years ago.

Today's youth doesn't even KNOW what older generations ate in places like Dupar's restaurant in L.A. or even small chain restaurants. And that was standard fare, not something gourmet. I will try several of the places people are suggesting, although at this point, I'm somewhat depressed by the whole thing because these fast food burgers aren't what I'm actually looking for. I want a standard sit-down diner burger, high quality, like was served back in the day, with lettuce on the side (which I always left behind, because I don't eat lettuce on my burger, I want to taste the meat, the crunch of the buttered bun, maybe some cheese if I'm in the mood, or a bit of mayo, and nothing else.)

I'm perplexed, honestly by why the standard restaurant burger has seemingly disappeared or is found only occasionally as I did at the hotel in Simi....the strange monstrosities that have replaced it, whether in fast food or supposedly high-end "gourmet" burgers are simply AWFUL...these piled-high wads of tasteless meat are a poor excuse for what used to be....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or