U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM
 
123 posts, read 220,613 times
Reputation: 70

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Your grandmother's burger is USDA choice (because there weren't any lower grades back in the day, at least not for people), hand ground through a grinder. It was cooked rare to medium rare and eaten on a locally made bun with locally grown toppings and scratch-made condiments.

That's why granny's burgers tasted so good... It takes a village to make a hamburger.
I want to weigh in on this rare/medium rare debate....first of all, no hamburger cooked by ANYBODY, whether grandma or a restaurant back in the 1950's thru the 1970's at least, was EVER rare or even medium rare, period. I grew up in that timeframe, ate at tons of restaurants in that era and if a rare or med rare burger ever came to the table, it got sent back. Whether it's been declared that "rare is safe" or whatever, it was NOT done in restaurants of that era, no two ways about it. To this day, I will not eat a burger with pink in it. I was actually disgusted by the amount of underdone meat I got at Smashburger and threw it in the garbage after several bites.

And believe me, a well done burger is not "tough" or "rubbery" if the meat is good quality and cooked properly. Never ever had a rare or medium rare burger at places like Hamburger Hamlet in Los Angeles (divine burgers, total old school). I don't even remember being asked if I wanted my burger "rare" or anything of the sort. That is a relatively recent development. The burger of prior eras was cooked well done. I've been around the burger block and I know a good burger. OLD SCHOOL.

Today's stuff is garbage! And no grandma would serve meat with an iota of pink in it. Mine sure didn't. If some did, they were probably considered bad cooks and their food was tossed. Whether or not by today's standards "rare" is "safe", I really don't care, because I won't eat pink meat, it doesn't taste any better, juicier, more flavorful or anything else, in fact most of it tastes flavorLESS compared to the burgers of yesteryear which were flavorful, juicy, fabulous and cooked well done! People who grew up eating the good stuff of those days know how it compares to today's junk.

Perhaps a person had to have been there and lived in that era, particularly in L.A. Gosh, every little and big restaurant up and down for miles cooked burgers the same way and they were all great. By the 90's things started to change, which brings us to today where we now these burgermeisters making horrid things and charging $15 for them....most are too young to even have a frame of reference for what they're doing and unfortunately the patrons eating such burgers are also too young to remember quality, so awful places flourish. I haven't had one, decent burger since the one I had at the hotel in Simi and I don't get out there much anymore. As I said, I'm perplexed, I just want the basic, old school restaurant burger, how difficult is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,215,017 times
Reputation: 5400
Ahh poor Butteryflybird...your meat education was sadly neglected.

My mother was an exceptional intellect and a terrible cook. She could burn water. And she overcooked meat all her life. So I started life as narrow as you.

But then while in college I made a trip to the stockyards in Saint Joseph Mo. I was actually working pretty high science but was visiting a Veterinary medical operation it St. Joe. But had course to eat in the stockyard tavern...where all the stockyard guys ate. I was brow beaten into eating a rare steak by one of the locals. Enlightenment. Never again looked back.

There is just nothing on earth as good as rare meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 09:08 PM
 
1,086 posts, read 1,742,407 times
Reputation: 1255
Butterflybird,

One thing I might mention concerning juicy meat. I was watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives the other night and the cook (I can't remember what the name of the restaurant was) said he was using 70/30 meat. This amazed Guy, probably because most restaurants use a 80/20 grind. But I can imagine that the burger was very juicy with that ratio of fat in it. Perhaps that's what they used to use back in the day. You might want to try that at home sometime.

Something else you might want to try at home would be to acquire a cast iron flat-top griddle to put on your stove's burners. I don't remember anyone in those old diners using anything but a flat top to cook burgers on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 PM
 
369 posts, read 594,522 times
Reputation: 374
Sorry, White Castle is the only place than can call their sandwich a hamburger or a slider. Everything else is unoriginal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 PM
 
1,962 posts, read 3,760,438 times
Reputation: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflybird View Post
I want to weigh in on this rare/medium rare debate....first of all, no hamburger cooked by ANYBODY, whether grandma or a restaurant back in the 1950's thru the 1970's at least, was EVER rare or even medium rare, period. I grew up in that timeframe, ate at tons of restaurants in that era and if a rare or med rare burger ever came to the table, it got sent back. Whether it's been declared that "rare is safe" or whatever, it was NOT done in restaurants of that era, no two ways about it. To this day, I will not eat a burger with pink in it. I was actually disgusted by the amount of underdone meat I got at Smashburger and threw it in the garbage after several bites.

And believe me, a well done burger is not "tough" or "rubbery" if the meat is good quality and cooked properly. Never ever had a rare or medium rare burger at places like Hamburger Hamlet in Los Angeles (divine burgers, total old school). I don't even remember being asked if I wanted my burger "rare" or anything of the sort. That is a relatively recent development. The burger of prior eras was cooked well done. I've been around the burger block and I know a good burger. OLD SCHOOL.

Today's stuff is garbage! And no grandma would serve meat with an iota of pink in it. Mine sure didn't. If some did, they were probably considered bad cooks and their food was tossed. Whether or not by today's standards "rare" is "safe", I really don't care, because I won't eat pink meat, it doesn't taste any better, juicier, more flavorful or anything else, in fact most of it tastes flavorLESS compared to the burgers of yesteryear which were flavorful, juicy, fabulous and cooked well done! People who grew up eating the good stuff of those days know how it compares to today's junk.

Perhaps a person had to have been there and lived in that era, particularly in L.A. Gosh, every little and big restaurant up and down for miles cooked burgers the same way and they were all great. By the 90's things started to change, which brings us to today where we now these burgermeisters making horrid things and charging $15 for them....most are too young to even have a frame of reference for what they're doing and unfortunately the patrons eating such burgers are also too young to remember quality, so awful places flourish. I haven't had one, decent burger since the one I had at the hotel in Simi and I don't get out there much anymore. As I said, I'm perplexed, I just want the basic, old school restaurant burger, how difficult is that?
Sorry but many restaurants DID indeed serve medium rare steak back in the 60's and 70's. I would go to restaurants with my father and my grandfather in both New York and DC, my grandfather got his steaks rare and my father and I would have medium rare. They were the juiciest tasting too if seasoned right.

Got a mushroom swiss burger at Paiute after my round today medium rare. Absolutely perfect which is what most people remember about burgers grilling in the backyard while playing horseshoes or badminton (there I go thinking about the 70's again) as the juices came out bite after bite. That will certainly not happen with a well done burger where it becomes a hockey puck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2014, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR / Las Vegas, NV
1,808 posts, read 3,277,706 times
Reputation: 967
As long as it doesn't moo when I stick it with a fork, it's good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,712,157 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
Sorry, White Castle is the only place than can call their sandwich a hamburger or a slider. Everything else is unoriginal.
Louis' Lunch in New Haven is sure to disagree with that, seeing as they invented the hamburger sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2014, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
11,605 posts, read 22,763,742 times
Reputation: 3910
white castle.. seriously? yuck!! had'em in Ohio.....some of the worst i've ever had
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 PM
 
369 posts, read 594,522 times
Reputation: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Louis' Lunch in New Haven is sure to disagree with that, seeing as they invented the hamburger sandwich.
The origin is disputed. White Castle is recognized as the first chain in America so I picked them. There are probably people from Germany who can tell us what real hamburgers are, not that anyone would care, just like the Italians and pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,712,157 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
The origin is disputed. White Castle is recognized as the first chain in America so I picked them. There are probably people from Germany who can tell us what real hamburgers are, not that anyone would care, just like the Italians and pizza.
Actually it goes further back than that. In the ruins of Pompeii, inscribed in a kitchen, is a recipe -- grilled chopped meat on bread.

The hamburger as America knows it started in New Haven, though. I've been there. They still have the original equipment. And I'm fine with anyone producing a hamburger -- as long as they don't make a sausage casserole and insist that it be called a hamburger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top