U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,892,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
"Manufactured modern charm"

(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
I don't have any problems with the style of those houses. They look nice and clean and modern.
My issue is the outdoor space -- no backyard and no front yard.
But if they are just condos, I think they are outstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,438,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Looks a lot like Blue Heron I posted above.
whoops. I accidentally glossed over your post.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:16 PM

518 posts, read 596,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
whoops. I accidentally glossed over your post.
More than one Blue Heron development, so more than one post

Old 05-15-2013, 10:11 PM

2,440 posts, read 2,502,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
If you are referring to those square houses in the pic, I will pass. There doesn't seem to be any space between houses and no backyard or front yard. Are those just condos?
Loft style homes, no need for a LARGE front and back yard when it has access to a beautiful park next door. Usually large yard areas is not really synonymous with loft style homes. The developer somehow envisioned the community with more of an urban vibe setting.

It has enough space in the backyard for a pool. It's not for everyone but it's sold out so some people are enjoying their loft style living.

A community not far from Spring Valley, in the city boundaries is another loft style homes development and also from the same developer. It is also across the street from a beautiful park.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,560,457 times
I didn't think we were talking $700,000 to $2,000,000 homes (pictures posted) I don't think the OP was referring to these either. I was referring to tract housing which dominates LV and the average buyer is looking at. No one would ever say there are no architecturally interesting homes in LV.

What I was saying there are no (or very few) architecturally unique track homes in LV. I used my track home in Phoenix that I just sold for $200,000 as an example. When it was built back in 1987, it had a side courtyard entry with a walkway that curved with the homes lines, stucco wall (not prison block) with beautiful bougainvillaea cascading over the wall. Walking into the front/side door you were faced with a beautiful atrium that opened up to another bedroom on one side, and the master bathroom on the other side as well as the living room and dining room area. The front of the home had another small porch area with french doors opening up into the kitchen. The garage had a partial flat roof in the front area with logs coming out of the stucco, like in the old hacienda homes. This was in an expensive area of Phoenix. Where have you seen anything like this in a tract home ($200,000 or less) here in Las Vegas in this price range?

Most people don't care to live in the downtown area if they have children, and most people can not afford the houses that someone posted on here.

I am not knocking living in Las Vegas. It has many positives. That is why I moved here. It is just that when it comes to buying a reasonably priced tract home here, the word individuality, charm, and innovative architecture does not come to mind without a high price tag.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 PM

I just posted those photos just for the sake of the continuity of the discussion. Anyway, as I have mentioned, there are loads of different style homes in my area and there are also loads of tract housing in my area. Equal opportunity town, hehehe!!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:09 AM

518 posts, read 596,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I occasionally surf the GLVAR website to kind of peak at the housing market (I've been doing it for years). I usually feel underwhelmed of the cookie cutter boxy houses. It seems like no matter what price range you're in, they all seem to look the same. The only thing that I see different in the price ranges are the fixtures and furnishings that put an extra shine on the more expensive houses. Most have the same 4 types of backyards, 1)un-landscaped, 2)landscaped in all rock, 3)tasteful or either overly done water features, 4) tasteful or overly done greenery. The land is hard dry caliche no matter where you are here.

The rooms are all squared off with rounded walls or open ambiguous rooms. So basically the price of a Vegas home is for location and square footage. But the thing with that is Vegas isn't really distinguishable for caste type society is it? Meaning a well paid stripper could be living next door to an educated professional. My point is you could save LOTS by buying a cheap box in the right neighborhood, build it to your liking and be just as happy than paying 2-4 times the amount living 15 minutes up the road.
Modhatter, seems like the OP felt that most if not all points "seems to look the same". I did not notice a price range, so I posted the Blue Heron Homes. IMHO these are some really nice homes.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM

9,958 posts, read 8,450,177 times
No, detached SF house. There's one listing 3/3.5 for $650ish K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
I don't have any problems with the style of those houses. They look nice and clean and modern.
My issue is the outdoor space -- no backyard and no front yard.
But if they are just condos, I think they are outstanding.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 PM

9,958 posts, read 8,450,177 times
The concept of the loft was a industrial building converted to multifamily residential, usually with full floor units. These aren't lofts, these are open concept SF houses. People who want SF house, generally want some yard space, so they can configure it how they want.

And, from Google maps, that park doesn't look that great. Mostly desert landscaping with a little playground and a little lawn. An amenity, but not a huge one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Loft style homes, no need for a LARGE front and back yard when it has access to a beautiful park next door. Usually large yard areas is not really synonymous with loft style homes. The developer somehow envisioned the community with more of an urban vibe setting.

It has enough space in the backyard for a pool. It's not for everyone but it's sold out so some people are enjoying their loft style living.

A community not far from Spring Valley, in the city boundaries is another loft style homes development and also from the same developer. It is also across the street from a beautiful park.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The concept of the loft was a industrial building converted to multifamily residential, usually with full floor units. These aren't lofts, these are open concept SF houses. People who want SF house, generally want some yard space, so they can configure it how they want.

And, from Google maps, that park doesn't look that great. Mostly desert landscaping with a little playground and a little lawn. An amenity, but not a huge one.

Blue Heron has advertised the place as lofts when they were first on the market and I have been inside them. The park is a beautiful park full of trees and desert landscaping, I know, I go there all the time. You should visit the park one of these days days to prove yourself wrong!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas