Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times

Advertisements

I occasionally surf the GLVAR website to kind of peak at the housing market (I've been doing it for years). I usually feel underwhelmed of the cookie cutter boxy houses. It seems like no matter what price range you're in, they all seem to look the same. The only thing that I see different in the price ranges are the fixtures and furnishings that put an extra shine on the more expensive houses. Most have the same 4 types of backyards, 1)un-landscaped, 2)landscaped in all rock, 3)tasteful or either overly done water features, 4) tasteful or overly done greenery. The land is hard dry caliche no matter where you are here.

The rooms are all squared off with rounded walls or open ambiguous rooms. So basically the price of a Vegas home is for location and square footage. But the thing with that is Vegas isn't really distinguishable for caste type society is it? Meaning a well paid stripper could be living next door to an educated professional. My point is you could save LOTS by buying a cheap box in the right neighborhood, build it to your liking and be just as happy than paying 2-4 times the amount living 15 minutes up the road.

Last edited by observer53; 05-13-2013 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 11:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
I agree, most homes in Las Vegas lack style and charm. It appears there were very few builders who had any inclination to inject either into their homes. Word is, they didn't have to, because Vegas was a hot market and it sold irregardless of style. However, you will not save any money buying a box and injecting your own money into redoing it. You may improve it's appearance and make it more to your liking, but you will lose money when you go to sell it. Hence the lack of any real serious remodeling in Vegas.

It is what it is, though unfortunate. I suspect anyone moving to Vegas has had to put appealing architecture and uniqueness at the bottom of their list.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Want unique in Vegas?

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 AM

349 posts, read 378,859 times
I agree with you fully.

I'm from Texas. Homes there are so much nicer! Just take a look at dallas/ft worth homes on Trulia. The property taxes are a little higher, but you can have a beautiful home for $130,000 with a huge green yard, in a metroplex filled with many more jobs paying higher than Vegas average.

Exhibit A: http://www.trulia.com/property/30330...Worth-TX-76244

Exhibit B: http://www.trulia.com/property/31087...Worth-TX-76177

I have no idea why I haven't moved back yet.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Want unique in Vegas?

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Haha I've seen that somewhere. I'm sure it's more interesting inside than most houses in Las Vegas.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I agree, most homes in Las Vegas lack style and charm. It appears there were very few builders who had any inclination to inject either into their homes. Word is, they didn't have to, because Vegas was a hot market and it sold irregardless of style. However, you will not save any money buying a box and injecting your own money into redoing it. You may improve it's appearance and make it more to your liking, but you will lose money when you go to sell it. Hence the lack of any real serious remodeling in Vegas.

It is what it is, though unfortunate. I suspect anyone moving to Vegas has had to put appealing architecture and uniqueness at the bottom of their list.
Well said. It's a pity that a mere ranch style house or a wraparound porch is considered a luxury. I love big picture windows but the houses are stacked so close, maybe up on the mountain; it would be a hot item.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Take a drive down Radwick Ln. or Los Feliz here on the east side. You will find Victorian next to Frank Lloyd Wright next to Buckminster Fuller. Non-cookie-cutter houses are here. But for the most part, they're on the east side.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 AM

158 posts, read 264,653 times
It's the desert. A big lush green lawn seems like a huge waste of water. Since we're moving from the East, I actually want a front/back yard with (attractive) desert landscaping. I can never remember to water the lawn.

As for cookie cutter houses, I've lived in the suburbs most if my life, so it's just not a big deal for me.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Take a drive down Radwick Ln. or Los Feliz here on the east side. You will find Victorian next to Frank Lloyd Wright next to Buckminster Fuller. Non-cookie-cutter houses are here. But for the most part, they're on the east side.
Bravo, the East side has many unique style built homes. Why? at one time it as considered the place to live in LV and the taste back then was each place be different not the Cookie cutter style. Marketing folks convinced people the places built after 1999 were new and more attractive and places built prior to that were old and run down. I fully disagree many of the homes and townhouses built in the 60's and 70's and early 80's are built sturdy laid out correct so the sun does not bake you and have good green and areas around the places so you are not on top of each other. I see the building going on in the NW area now and the places all look the same and no room between the places. I live in a Sunrise Villa complex their are 4 models of style in each one most of these were built in the middle or late 70's unless it was trashed because of foreclosure or renters they are a great buy for the price. 4 miles away from the strip, airport and etc so close enough to enjoy but far enough away to not be disturbed. I have yet to figure out why folks make out the East side of LV as a undesirable area to live in and I am sure glad I did not listen to them when I was searching for a home here. If you get a chance drive through the neighborhoods around the Las Vegas National Golf Course area and see all of the neat Retro 60 and 70 houses that are still there built to last and very unique style and you will not feel like you are looking at the breakfast cereal aisle (all boxes) like in other parts of LV.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Well said. It's a pity that a mere ranch style house or a wraparound porch is considered a luxury. I love big picture windows but the houses are stacked so close, maybe up on the mountain; it would be a hot item.
Some of the older homes that pre-date the mass development days are fairly unique. Try Alta, Oakey, and some portions of northwest LV. I looked at one off Ann Rd. the other day that was loaded with charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas