Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 AM

419 posts, read 905,225 times

Advertisements

Part of what makes the homes looks so similar (mainly the newer ones) is the sameness of the landscaping. Rock landscaping and minimal vegetation tends to look the same in every yard. So your eye is drawn more to the building itself, which also looks similar to the adjacent ones.

But to me, the constant sunshine would make up for all of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,134,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I looked at one off Ann Rd. the other day that was loaded with charm.
I know exactly which house you are talking about. I pass by it often. Actually there are lots of custom(horse property) type homes in that area. All if them full of unique character.

I suggested some of those homes to a co-worker that I was sponsoring. His wife said those homes had "too much character".

They chose brand new construction instead.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM

6,377 posts, read 11,843,753 times
When Scotch 80s pass as high character houses you know home variety and design are never going to be calling cards for the city.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,960,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I know exactly which house you are talking about. I pass by it often. Actually there are lots of custom(horse property) type homes in that area. All if them full of unique character.

I suggested some of those homes to a co-worker that I was sponsoring. His wife said those homes had "too much character".

They chose brand new construction instead.
My aunt lives in one of those charming houses on the extreme west side of Ann. That's another nice area of town. It's also cooler where she lives than where we live -- she has afternoon shade from the mountains a couple hours before the sun goes down. That's a huge difference.

But we have a better view.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 PM

14 posts, read 31,128 times
Quote:
Want unique in Vegas?

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Ha! I drove past this house last weekend and thought it was quite interesting.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,134,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My aunt lives in one of those charming houses on the extreme west side of Ann. That's another nice area of town. It's also cooler where she lives than where we live -- she has afternoon shade from the mountains a couple hours before the sun goes down. That's a huge difference.

But we have a better view.
My record is about 0-10 for recommending a home with character. Someone ALWAYS says "we don't want any of those cookie cutter homes, no HOA and lots of land/space). I send pictures before their move and drive some of them around to see the alternative to cookie cutter homes.

In the end, they all change their mind. Although, I do have a coworker who is determined to find a home with a finished basement.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM

158 posts, read 264,217 times
Quote:
My record is about 0-10 for recommending a home with character. Someone ALWAYS says "we don't want any of those cookie cutter homes, no HOA and lots of land/space). I send pictures before their move and drive some of them around to see the alternative to cookie cutter homes.

In the end, they all change their mind. Although, I do have a coworker who is determined to find a home with a finished basement.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
There's basements out there?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,762,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I occasionally surf the GLVAR website to kind of peak at the housing market (I've been doing it for years). I usually feel underwhelmed of the cookie cutter boxy houses. It seems like no matter what price range you're in, they all seem to look the same. The only thing that I see different in the price ranges are the fixtures and furnishings that put an extra shine on the more expensive houses. Most have the same 4 types of backyards, 1)un-landscaped, 2)landscaped in all rock, 3)tasteful or either overly done water features, 4) tasteful or overly done greenery. The land is hard dry caliche no matter where you are here.

The rooms are all squared off with rounded walls or open ambiguous rooms. So basically the price of a Vegas home is for location and square footage. But the thing with that is Vegas isn't really distinguishable for caste type society is it? Meaning a well paid stripper could be living next door to an educated intellectual. My point is you could save LOTS by buying a cheap box in the right neighborhood, build it to your liking and be just as happy than paying 2-4 times the amount living 15 minutes up the road.
Simply untrue. If you live in Levittown all the homes look like well Levittown. So don't live in Levittown.

Out our way we can find any flavor that you like. There are 3 or 4 of the 70s geodesic domes, how about 9000SF with a diving pool and a lazy river? Or a 10,000SF MacMansion. Or 1200 SF of homebuilt without a square wall in the place. And all with a 5 mile circle.

Just a matter of where you look.

Last edited by lvoc; 05-13-2013 at 02:08 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,428,811 times
The good thing about cookie cutter house is that windows, doors, gates, cabinets, pipes...etc are all standard size and style. It is very easy to replace these items with stuff from Homedepot or Lowes, and much cheaper than custom-made.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,960,118 times
Quote:

I know a Realtor who has a finished half-basement. (The basement is half the size of the first floor.) I would love to have one, too. It is absolutely great in the basement. I visited in August -- 115f outside, no AC going in the house at all, everyone hanging out in the basement where it's 75f.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas