U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 PM

629 posts, read 981,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
The establishment is Manan Bakery and it's on West Flamingo and Torrey Pines in Spring Valley.
Armenian/Russian pastries, cakes, cookies......delicious!!!
Actually all of the bread I saw today was either from a place in Santa Monica, California, or the local one was called "House of Bread" on 9030 W. Flamingo. I picked the local place because I thought it'd be fresher, and it was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 2,502,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
Actually all of the bread I saw today was either from a place in Santa Monica, California, or the local one was called "House of Bread" on 9030 W. Flamingo. I picked the local place because I thought it'd be fresher, and it was amazing.
If you were not referring to Manan Bakery as the bakery for the establishment mentioned by Scoop then you should try Manan Bakery. Delicious bakery products!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 PM

9 posts, read 7,336 times
Default A List Of Las Vegas Grocery Stores & Specialty Grocers, Compared

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvshannon View Post
hi! My bf and I are big health nuts and are wondering what the best grocery stores were. We eat a lot of produce and seafood- I like to get fresh salmon and eat it raw.

We are also interested in any farmer's markets.

Hello LVShannon,
Below are some great places to buy fresh seafood and produce. Plus who has great prices, and a little bit about each grocer. Enjoy!

July 2013

Whole Foods
Is great, but most call it "WHOLE PAYCHECK!" lol! There are several other markets around town if you know where to go to get great deals on super fresh and even live seafood’s. What they do have great is a salad bar, BBQ, hot pizza and sandwiches, a gelato bar, fresh baked breads, plus a variety of freshly prepared dishes to take home and heat up.

Food 4 Less
The CHEAPEST hands down, unless you find super low sales at other stores then your going to do better, but for all around best price that is the place. CHEAPEST DELI meats and cheeses as well but a basic selection.

Farmer’s Markets
Every Sunday there is one from about 9:00 AM to about 1:00PM in a small mall on Eastern between Silverado Ranch Blvd and the 215, if you pass Red Robin going away from the 215 then you just passed it. It would be on the left side under several white canopies. Once you find it, as the vendors there where the other famers markets are located. They will know the latest venues.

The Great Myth
Sam’s Club and Costco are they cheapest.” Nope, not really! Where they are competitive however in areas like paper products, OTC medications, and occasionally meat. After doing the research what we decided was they make their money by our “assumption” that if we buy in bulk it is cheaper. It is on a few things, but here is where they are not. When your local grocer has a super low sale the price is lower. So then buy bulk while on sale at the local grocers then freeze it or stock your pantry.

99 Ranch Market
Carries LIVE and fresh fish, oysters, crabs and seafood of all types and great produce and competitive prices. This is a great little find for those “every so often cravings” of fresh seafood and unique produce. Like from jack fruit to large selection of Asian pears.

International Market Place
This grocer Is heaven for the chef of the house. Here is what I mean; they have 10 kinds of mayo and mustard and 15 brands of catsup. Jellies, jams, and preserves or spreads, they have some 20 various brands from the US and abroad of each equaling about 200! Also they carry LIVE seafood, fresh and froze with great prices.

Glaziers
Great selection of SEAFOOD some live mostly fresh and frozen with competitive pricing on those items. Culturally diverse selection of groceries as well. They also have a hot deli.

Albertsons
Historically great produce and high prices. However this year they were sold and now seem to be becoming a bit more price competitive.

WinCo
Produce is so-so, not bad however. COFFEE is what they carry best its $6.98lb, great tasting. This is from and adamant Starbucks only fan too. I bought about 4lbs today in fact, really it's all I buy there, oh and some BULK FOODS too, you know the kind in the barrels. With searching and knowing your prices their bulk food pricing is wise.

Smith’s
Typically for your “in-your-neighborhood” grocery, they have the best prices.

Vons
Usually great produce, prices not very competitive. Wide selections of groceries like Smith’s.

Cardenas
Best for Mexican foods and produce. Some of the lowest prices on produce in town. They have their own tortilla factory inside. This grocer makes several varieties of salsas, fresh foods, juices like watermelon and smoothies etc and a fun little bakery. Price on their canned and packaged foods are not very competitive. Oh yes and they carry whole pigs for your super cook-outs.

Walmart
Definitely not the cheapest as they purport. There produce lacks gleem. It seemed to me they would drop prices on certain items to lead me to believe they were lower…but then when I returned a month later that price on a particular item was increased. Clever marketing? They didn’t become the largest retailer buy being dumb. What is their plus? Well you can find almost everything under one five acre roof…if one is into hoofing 5 acres that is.

Freed’s Bakery
Remember when you were a kid and chocolate éclairs tasted so great? It was because they were made with real chocolate and real barvarian cream. But over time most bakeries found chocolate flavoring, and a sugary whipped cream filling for éclairs. In short it is the best bakery we have found in town. While the prices are not competitive, the quality is superb. Worth several visits, um maybe I should cut back these pants are getting tight!

La Bonita
Great prices on produce and some meat.

Fresh and Easy
They currently specialize in prepackaged produce and fresh foods which we would normally hand pick out. Prices not very competitive.

Trader Joe’s
A less expensive alternative to Whole Foods. They carry several items they package under their label. But here you will find items like the free range foods, Ezekiel brand breads, organic milk and great produce to name a few.

Smart and Final
For a family, not so competitive price wise. Their niche is restaurants.

Seafood City
Large and varied fresh seafood and Filipino food selections!

Mariana’s
Mexican foods, good produce section. They have a in-store cafeteria where they cook up a wide selection of Mexican foods. Booths inside as well to sit and eat.

Oroweat
Have at least one bakery outlet I know of whereby you can buy their products cheap. What isn’t sold I believe is returned and marked down to resell.

Dollar Stores
These are great little places to get great little deals on items we need only from time to time. Take Afrin™ for example, it costs $5-6 dollars in the stores. At the Dollar Tree you can buy its generic for $1.00 HUGE savings. Rarely do we need it but with those kind of meds it helps to buy when you do not need them, then they are there when you do, and purchased at a much more reasonable price.
It’s active ingredient is oxymetazoline that’s all, both in Afrin and the Dollar Tree’s Assured brand. Also great buys there are their deodorant, meds, toothpaste, and dental care products. Oh and there all-occasion cards are 2 for $1, lastly their metallic helium balloons are, well you guessed it only $1.

If your interested in getting great prices, I took the time to compare all the sale prices on 800 groceries, over 18 months on 25 different Las Vegas stores to find out what “cheap or low priced” really meant.
I did this because I got tired of walking into the grocery store and trying to out-guess what a low buy is and when it’s not!

So I began to compare prices. Then I hired Deb to compare prices and do it daily now for some 25 plus stores here in Las Vegas. In fact I put together a Top Ten Cheapest Grocery Prices Weekly List, and am putting the final touches on national software so folks know what the low prices are and when to stock up on a sale and when to pass on it!

It became my mission I guess you could say.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM

951 posts, read 1,112,874 times
Terrific summary. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 PM

Default The Unique Grocers of Southern Nevada Await You

Hi Orca17,

You are most welcome!

I hope you get a chance to visit a few of our Las Vegas Specialty Grocers like 99 Ranch, International Marketplace and others.

You will find some unique, fresh and awesome delectables in those grocers!

Happy Hunting!
Bill

Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 PM

Default Farmers Markets Las Vegas

Hi LVShannon,
here also is a list of Las Vegas' Farmers Markets!

Las Vegas Farmers' Market

Enjoy,
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas