Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 PM

31 posts, read 48,116 times

Advertisements

i would like to here from all legal us residents that are in the contruction field,me myself im a painting contractor, and to get a doller per square ft was the minimum a good ,experienced lic, contractor would get. but the bottom feeders are trying to chase us out of are trade. ALL FEED BACK FROM ALL THE TRADES WOULD BE GREAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,018,069 times
prolly on the appropriate forum

Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,124,284 times
Anybody with any sense and with any construction based experience from LV are up in Elko RIGHT NOW. Hundreds of homes are continuously being built from the results of the precious metal mine explorations all the way up to 2017.

http://m.elkodaily.com/news/local/ba...e#.UZrIIGS9Kc0

http://barrickbeyondborders.com/2012...-of-new-homes/

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,058,191 times
The trade market is cut throat in Vegas. There is a lot of cheap labor, but you can do things to make yourself stand out.

Show up on time, produce quality work, speak good english, look clean cut, and act professional. Those things will make you stand out and keep you busy at higher rates than the cheap labor competition.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,533,884 times
Get a Nevada contractor's license and make sure you put it on your vehicle, business cards and invoices. If you are painting without a contractor's license any work you do is at risk of not being compensated and the law will not protect you here in Nevada. Learn how payment schedules and releases are generally done. Offer people fair prices on your work figuring your legitimate overhead if you own your own painter's business.

If you believe a job will take 5 days with yourself and an apprentice painter working 12 hours a day then that means there is 60 billable hours for each person. Yours and your apprentices rates are also different, itemize them differently along with your materials. Consumers aren't stupid and giving a lump sum on your invoices that doesn't inform people of what the different costs are for materials, labor, equipment rental, etc will always have people thinking you're just an individual who wants to rip them off because you only want to work 1 job a month.

Be honest, produce good work, be on time and you will have repeat customers.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM

Default you are right,

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
The trade market is cut throat in Vegas. There is a lot of cheap labor, but you can do things to make yourself stand out.

Show up on time, produce quality work, speak good english, look clean cut, and act professional. Those things will make you stand out and keep you busy at higher rates than the cheap labor competition.
you have to sell quality,separate your self from them,and they think just because they are the cheapest they will get all the jobs.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Default well said ,thanks for your info.

[quote=ddrhazy;29657586]Get a Nevada contractor's license and make sure you put it on your vehicle, business cards and invoices. If you are painting without a contractor's license any work you do is at risk of not being compensated and the law will not protect you here in Nevada. Learn how payment schedules and releases are generally done. Offer people fair prices on your work figuring your legitimate overhead if you own your own painter's business.

If you believe a job will take 5 days with yourself and an apprentice painter working 12 hours a day then that means there is 60 billable hours for each person. Yours and your apprentices rates are also different, itemize them differently along with your materials. Consumers aren't stupid and giving a lump sum on your invoices that doesn't inform people of what the different costs are for materials, labor, equipment rental, etc will always have people thinking you're just an individual who wants to rip them off because you only want to work 1 job a month.

Be honest, produce good work, be on time and you will have repeat customers.[/quo how would you advertise your business in the las vegas area,the good ole yellow pages used to work about ten years ago,online advertising online is a crap shoot,thanks for your feed back,the on time aqnd clean cutt fair price used to work with older people ,but the younger people are harder to sell quality,they want cheap,cheap pricing.had a guy i was giving estimate to told me to go to home depot and get illegal day labors to paint the house real cheap and i told him i only work experienced painters for quality work.i did not get the job.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM

how would you advertise your business in the las vegas area?online is a crap shoot.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 AM

419 posts, read 904,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britts-daddy View Post
how would you advertise your business in the las vegas area?online is a crap shoot.
ALL advertising is a crapshoot.

But, you still need to do it. One ad media works for some and not for others.
If there were one great way to get contractor jobs, it would almost immediately be swamped
with advertisers....and not produce much anymore.

Almost 25 years in advertising I can tell you you must track every ad and thats' how
you'll know what's working and what to drop. I usually advise clients to start smaller
in a number of different media, and monitor calls.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,775,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post

Very true. I'd rather spend a bit more knowing I'm getting quality work from someone experienced. But, I won't stand for rude, impatient contractors that don't return phone calls, and don't want honor their work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: