Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 85,099 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me how to go about getting a zone variance for my 6th grader, she currently goes to sedway middle school, and is having a problem with girls there that are affecting her in a way that she doesnt want to go to school. She has known these girls since elementary school, so i am thinking and hoping maybe a fresh new start at a different school such as Cam may just the thing to help her start enjoying these school days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 PM

818 posts, read 3,688,250 times
Talk to the administrators at the school about it. If that doesn't work, contact the CCSD.

You may not need to take such a drastic step. Maybe mediation between the girls could solve the problem, instead of moving to another school. What if she encounters problems with kids at this new school? It will be hard to do anything about that if you've already taken the most drastic measure.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 PM

359 posts, read 1,403,754 times
ive had problems with kids back in the day in elementary. kids would always pick on me and sometimes even pick fights. id come home at times with a black eye or some other bruises every here and there. so my uncle taught me how to be intimidating and how to fight. although i did not use the skills i learned to attack those and stop it. when they started it, i used what my uncle taught me to defend myself. after i actually fought back, they stopped bothering me. completely ! usually, kids bully others who dont do anything about being bullied. (spelling?)when bullies see that the victim will defend themselves or wont tolerate it, then they stop. if they dont, then you may need to get faculty or involved or something. now you dont have to go by what i did its just what happened to me and i hope it leads you in the right direction.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,400,033 times
Sickening....it's this kind of s*&t that leads to school shootings! Kids can be relentless in their teasing. And if face-to-face isn't bad enough...I now heard that computers and texting are used in the process to humiliate and degrade others.

Please talk to the school...in this day and age...I doubt there is a school anywhere in America (if not the complete civilized world) that would not take it seriously and take action. Too many times, this school shooting stuff has a bullying component at its foundation.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Sickening....it's this kind of s*&t that leads to school shootings! Kids can be relentless in their teasing. And if face-to-face isn't bad enough...I now heard that computers and texting are used in the process to humiliate and degrade others.
kinda like that website school scandals.com although it was disbanded a long time ago, kids still use things like myspace and aim to do their wussy deeds of degrading.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,890,520 times
A fresh start could be good for her.

I don't know how to go about getting a variance, but I also wanted to mention that there are a few really good private schools in the valley, most of which offer scholarships.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 AM

560 posts, read 2,181,847 times
First of all, as a CCSD middle school teacher let me tell you that bullying of any kind is not supposed to be tolerated in our schools. We go to numerous bullying workshops and we are required to report it to our administration ASAP or we could lose our jobs. Now, once reported to the administration it is completely up to their discretion as to how they will handle it. My daughter is in 8th grade at a private Catholic school and we are dealing with a bullying issue right now. Don't think it doesn't happen at the private school level either. Sometimes I think it might actually be worse because private schools have the ability, and often do, sweep things under the rug.

If you really want to get a variance for another school you can use the bullying issue to do it. You will have to follow the chain of command... report to the teacher, make sure the administration knows, peer mediation (depends on school) and if it is still unresolved then you can get the variance. Also you can go on CCSD web site to see if it is a failing school, if it is a failing school then you can get a variance no matter what to an un-failing school.

I would be careful however, middle school is tough no matter what and you could be putting her in an even more difficult situation. If she has friends at her school now you will be pulling her away from them as well.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil The boy who is bullying my daughter got a demerit Big Deal!!!! He continued to do it the next day. I informed the teacher that if it continues and the school does not handle it properly then I will look into more serious things to do.... like going to the police. Bullying is very serious and unless the parents make the schools accountable it will just keep getting worse.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:41 PM

this might help also. usually the reason why bullies bully is because the victim lets them do it. yea it sounds ridiculous i know. but if the victim were to ignore it and not tolerate it the bully usually stops. if the bully does not stop, its probably something more serious that needs faculty involvement. usually a "good" talk to the teacher or whoever gets them to actually do something.

i also gave my niece a pep talk on people that pick on her. sometimes a little confidence boost is all they need

Old 11-08-2007, 04:31 AM

Default school variance

thank you so much to everyone who responded to my question, you all gave me a lot to think about and some ideas on how to deal with this,

Old 12-17-2007, 11:47 AM

i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my daughters bullying dilema, i let her read the ideas that were given and she actually stood up to one of the bully girls and believe it or not it has stopped its amazing how something so simple ended something that i thought was going to take changing schools to end. i honestly think without your suggestions this would still be an ongoing problem-so thanks again and merry christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas