Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:41 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times

Advertisements

I am so happy that I found out that a Dunkin Donuts will be opening soon at Ann & Simmons in NLV. They have some of the best coffee around!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 07:30 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Try out Brewed Awakenings, in the Food4Less center at Sahara/Eastern. They've managed to stay in business nearly a decade, which is phenomenal, considering that Starbucks has moved in on them by opening at Sahara/Maryland, Desert Inn/Eastern and Desert Inn/Boulder Hwy in the time since they've been in business. What a cutthroat business!
hmmm...i wonder if that brewed has anything to do w/ the one i used to frequent in milwaukee? (i think it is now called cafe brady, though as they serve anodyne coffee...good stuff)

do you know if they have a sandwich called a 'fire eater'? that thing was awesome. might have to stop by on my way home 2nite and check it out.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,296 times
vegas needs a roscoes chicken and waffles ! as for coffee places, to be honest, ive never seen any hole in the wall places here. only starbucks and seattles best. (which are franchises) but i prefer seattles best over starbucks. although starbucks has an awesome italian and french roast coffee !

Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Wow, that's way out there in the south 40.

I think the OP is looking for coffee houses but I don't know of any that have survived. There was one in the Arts District but I think it's gone now. There is/was a little place on Charleston on the corner of 3rd Street. I think it was called the Iowa Cafe or something like that. It is/was mostly a breakfast and lunch joint but they had events in the evening too; music, poetry, etc.

As far as good regular coffee in a regular breakfast restaurant, The Original Pancake House has the best I think.
Yeah, I am looking for coffee houses. If it were just a quest for excellent coffee, I'd stay home. The little place you're talking about off Charleston closed awhile ago.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 AM

229 posts, read 814,446 times
Starbucks owns Seattle's Best. Purchased it about a year or two ago. I used to go to Jitters, and loved Cafe Espresso Roma. Both are gone now, so Starbucks it is. Las Vegas means "the chains" in Spanish.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:13 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyojo View Post
vegas needs a roscoes chicken and waffles ! as for coffee places, to be honest, ive never seen any hole in the wall places here. only starbucks and seattles best. (which are franchises) but i prefer seattles best over starbucks. although starbucks has an awesome italian and french roast coffee !
Chicken AND waffles? What kind of combination is that? Sounds yucky.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:18 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Yeah, I am looking for coffee houses. If it were just a quest for excellent coffee, I'd stay home. The little place you're talking about off Charleston closed awhile ago.
Keep your eye on the Arts District. One will spring up there sooner or later. I had friends in the coffee house business. Lost their shirts due to big chains like Starbucks and Coffeebean. There used to be a coffee house on Maryland Parkway across the street from UNLV. Don't know if it's still there. It was a strange place if that's what you're looking for.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:44 AM

229 posts, read 814,446 times
Quote:
Keep your eye on the Arts District. One will spring up there sooner or later. I had friends in the coffee house business. Lost their shirts due to big chains like Starbucks and Coffeebean. There used to be a coffee house on Maryland Parkway across the street from UNLV. Don't know if it's still there. It was a strange place if that's what you're looking for.
Buzz, the place you were describing, Cafe Espresso Roma, is gone. It packed up many years ago. It was one of the best parts of Las Vegas. Lots of great regional music acts, and an interesting place to sit and have a great cup of whatever and listen to and meet some interesting people. Now it is a Greek restaurant (decent food, but poor use of atmosphere. The beer pong, I mean ping pong table in the middle of the place was distracting).

I know we've established in the past that Las Vegas is not transient (I still disagree, but concede the point), but why don't we have more independent places like coffee shops? (I argue it's the transient nature of the residents here.) Go visit any large city and you will find plenty of them (independent coffee shops). I was in Portland recently where finding a Starbucks is not as easy. Loads of independent coffee houses there. I noticed the same thing (not quite as many though) on recent trips to San Francisco and Seattle.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:57 AM

159 posts, read 478,716 times
Try Dunkin Donuts (can't wait until they open more stores!) and Whole Foods Market (there's a WF on W. Charleston--near Boca Park shopping center and Summerlin and Peccole Ranch--and one in Green Valley in Henderson).

Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Chicken AND waffles? What kind of combination is that? Sounds yucky.
nope...it rocks! something about the savory chicken (roscoe's chicken is awesome) and sweet syrup go really well together....add some hot sauce (the vinegar based stuff like tabasco or lousianna) and enjoy.

they also have really good biscuits, and their waffles are tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas