Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,109 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Northern California until I was 18 when I moved to Carson City. After four years of trying to adjust I finally have this strange pride and love for Nevada and its deserts. But about a year and a half ago I have had this burning desire to move to Vegas. I could never really adjust to the small-town feel of Carson or the mid-size city feel of Reno (plus Reno isn't doing very well and I've never really liked it). In California I suppose I grew comfortable with living in a place that's almost one giant town, but a little more spread out.

My wife was born in Vegas but raised around northern Nevada and she has family in Vegas. She absolutely hates Vegas simply because of the heat, but I absolutely hate living in small towns, no matter how comfortable I get, so there's the sacrifice and compromise, blah blah etc. Las Vegas seems like the perfect combination; the big city but in the middle of the desert and it's in Nevada.

I have a good job in Reno, but I live in Carson and I'm climbing up the company ladder with bonuses, perks and all that. Still, I feel I would rather line up a similar job in Vegas and move down there, but I don't think my wife would ever learn to like it there so I've been trying to let it go. She has family there and I have visited the place once for a few days and I loved everything about it. Her grandfather let us drive him around while he told old cop stories and stories of strange or wild things happening around the city. He was basically giving us a tour of the city (not so much the strip, we only drive down it once) and I found every aspect of the city fascinating.

Anyway, I was hoping to learn something from a wiser man than myself. I am curious to hear others opinions on how I feel. Surely I am not the only one who has felt this way about Las Vegas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
The key phrase is "my wife hates Vegas"

Happy wife, happy life. The opposite is also true.

By the way, it's after midnight here and still 104 degrees.

Move to Sparks and visit Vegas.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 AM

I strongly dislike Sparks, especially I don't mind heat either.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Such a different world between the two cities. You might be better off looking for another city outside Nevada.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Living outside of Nevada is out of the question. I love this state!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:42 AM

48 posts, read 117,545 times
As someone who has lived in both Reno and Las Vegas, I'd say stay in Carson but visit Vegas often. The flight's an hour away: if you have a stable job, you can easily afford doing it every month or two. Vegas is a boring city without money and the Summers there are way way way too hot.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazydriver View Post
As someone who has lived in both Reno and Las Vegas, I'd say stay in Carson but visit Vegas often. The flight's an hour away: if you have a stable job, you can easily afford doing it every month or two. Vegas is a boring city without money and the Summers there are way way way too hot.
However boring Vegas may be it surely can't be as boring as Carson. The only thing that keeps me sane is the slight chance Carson's population might increase by 10-15x in the next 25 years. And I don't mind heat much. When we get triple digits it doesn't bother me a bit, it's the cold I can't stand. My wife loves the cold, but she parks her car in the garage and leaves for work at 7 and I park outside and leave at 6 :P When it's in the 20's and you're out at 5:30am scraping your windows and having to run your car for 15 minutes just for the heater to start working and then you take another 10 just to "thaw out", then DRIVING in the snow from Carson to Reno in a 2WD car bleh! The cold gets old pretty quick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas