U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,017,483 times

Advertisements

I sincerely believe we could become the epicenter of America's future solar industry. We have the need for it (city is growing despite what doomers here have been saying), we have the sun for it (300 days/year)... heck, we even have the sand (silicon) for it all around us. It's nice to see Mandalay Bay embrace this technology in a big way. Apple did the same earlier this week up north in Yerington. Unfortunately the Laughlin solar project failed, but everybody driving here from CA sees those three towers near stateline.

Mandalay Bay announces plan to build country's 2nd largest rooftop solar array - Las Vegas Sun News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 PM

327 posts, read 333,932 times
Hopefully the costs can keep coming down and the technology becomes more reliable (a few of my neighbors tried it and had maintenance nightmares with theirs) at least to the point where it saves most folks money, otherwise the privilege of helping the environment and sparing energy for others is sadly available to those who can afford it. Scanning the satellite images on Google or Bing maps does seem to show an increasing numbers of homes and business with solar panels on top. Great! Now if they could also convert sun energy to clean water we would have an oasis.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 PM

383 posts, read 521,814 times
I have heard a lot of report of solar panels dropping in price, but going solar still seems expensive. If a company could install a solar system under $3K that a homeowner could see a 50% or great reduction in their NV Energy bill....they could make a mint!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:44 PM

515 posts, read 1,020,834 times
Nevada is crap for residential solar. They give all the subsidies to the big installs like Apple and basically nothing for the little guys - there is literally only enough money for 70 residential subsidies per year and that's not only a $1.5K subsidy.

That's really bad policy. The american electricity is grid is ridiculously fragile, every day we are just a few unlucky breaks away from a major blackout somewhere in the country. The engineers running it are practically magicians for making it seem so stable. But even with their skills it isn't even remotely reliable in the long run.

We should be moving towards a situation where each house generates enough electricity for their own usage and the grid is only there to even out the peaks and valleys in consumption and for the industries that don't have enough physical space for the solar panels to fully power them.

Solar Power Rocks | Nevada Solar Power Rebates, Tax Credits, and Incentives

Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,740,097 times
i don't see why we can't do both solar & wind, we've got PLENTY of both

Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,860,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
How about solar windmill blades?

(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM

^^^^ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Old 07-03-2013, 04:18 AM

515 posts, read 1,020,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
Residential wind is problematic. Last I checked the zoning required you to have an acre of property minimum. The other problem is that your windmill has to be really tall, because the closer to the ground the more turbulent the wind and turbulence is bad for windmills.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 AM

9,962 posts, read 8,454,013 times
I think you need to be more specific in what your talking about. If you mean manufacturing solar cells, they Chinese have already killed that market by flooding it with cheap crap. I don't think anyone in the US could build panels to compete with them, unless the gov't slaps on tariffs.

At least as far as photovoltaics go, other than the cells, and maybe big solar farms (of which there are a few in Clark County), there isn't much more of an industry other than installers. This is not that big of a business. In point of fact, the entire renewable energy industry has turned out to be something of a dud, that can't be viable without big susidies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I sincerely believe we could become the epicenter of America's future solar industry. We have the need for it (city is growing despite what doomers here have been saying), we have the sun for it (300 days/year)... heck, we even have the sand (silicon) for it all around us. It's nice to see Mandalay Bay embrace this technology in a big way. Apple did the same earlier this week up north in Yerington. Unfortunately the Laughlin solar project failed, but everybody driving here from CA sees those three towers near stateline.

Mandalay Bay announces plan to build country's 2nd largest rooftop solar array - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
Residential wind is problematic. Last I checked the zoning required you to have an acre of property minimum. The other problem is that your windmill has to be really tall, because the closer to the ground the more turbulent the wind and turbulence is bad for windmills.
in nye county, one acre properties are the norm. i understand it wouldn't work in the majority of the neighborhoods in vegas, but there are plenty of outlying areas that wind power would work just fine for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas