Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM

389 posts, read 1,214,845 times

Advertisements

There could be a lot of problems. You need to get a competent A/C person out there. You may have to replace your A/C system. They don't last forever and I had to do this at our previous house for about $4,600. (12-15 years is about the norm) The outside compressor and air handler should both be replaced. And as one poster has said you may need a second unit depending on the layout of your house. We had to do this with a house we built a few years ago.

If the A/C is working properly it will run you out of the house with ice cycles on your nose. I turn ours down to 67 degrees at night and keep it at about 74-75 during the day. Used about 42 KWH yesterday.

On our previous house the A/C was just plain worn out and it ran continuously. Where we live heat pumps are the norm. We've had 100+ days recently, although it is cooler this date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,206,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockups View Post
tiger what do you mean by You should have at least a 20 degree difference between return and supply air. how do you check the suppy air
The supply air, I would assume, is the temp of the air going in, or the room temperature. 70 at the vents is WAY too warm. I'd start with the possibility of a refrigerant leak.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM

687 posts, read 4,398,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The supply air, I would assume, is the temp of the air going in, or the room temperature. 70 at the vents is WAY too warm. I'd start with the possibility of a refrigerant leak.
Anytime you hear supply air, thats the air coming out of the vents. The return air is the air going back through the filter grill and into the unit.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:20 AM

91 posts, read 259,991 times
Tiger can you recommend a good company you told me to say away from one hour air

Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 AM

111 posts, read 107,112 times
Most air conditioners are designed to cool the air 20 degrees. Here in the southwest, enough tons to cool 30 degrees is probably close to normal I would think. But if it is 117 outside, that would mean at best you would get down to 87 inside which is still not comfortable. You would need a supplemental unit to get it down any lower probably.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 AM

111 posts, read 107,112 times
Another thing is to make sure the compressor vent fan (outside) is working. If it goes bad, the compressor gets too hot and shuts itself off. A common problem with Trane units. I have replaced mine twice in 4 years at $500 a pop,

Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,725,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Joe View Post
Most air conditioners are designed to cool the air 20 degrees. Here in the southwest, enough tons to cool 30 degrees is probably close to normal I would think. But if it is 117 outside, that would mean at best you would get down to 87 inside which is still not comfortable. You would need a supplemental unit to get it down any lower probably.
That is not how it works. The differential temperature is from the internal air at the intake to the AC compared to the air the AC pumps out of the vent.

The indication that an AC is at its limits is when it runs continuously. It should still maintain a temperature differential of 20 degrees or so.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:09 PM

499 posts, read 1,056,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Joe View Post
I think you are confusing Return Air with Outside Air temp. The RA thru your RA filters inside your house does not mix with outside air temp. The Supply Air and Return Air are a closed loop inside your house.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM

91 posts, read 259,991 times
I was told the supply air in the house is the air going through your filter in the house and the return air is what coming out of the vent Also can someone recommend a good company

Thanks

Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 PM

687 posts, read 4,398,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockups View Post
I was told the supply air in the house is the air going through your filter in the house and the return air is what coming out of the vent Also can someone recommend a good company

Thanks
Thats backwards. Supply air comes out of the vents, return up through the filter and into the unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: