Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 PM

57 posts, read 99,837 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are considering a job offer which would require our family to relocate to Las Vegas. I've been searching and reading through a lot of the great info on this site, which has been very helpful. We currently live in Tucson, AZ and love it (even the summers) so I'm not terribly concerned about the climate (although I do think your temps are slightly higher, more similar to Phoenix, correct me if I'm wrong). As I sit here listening to the thunder of an afternoon monsoon rolling through town, it occurred to me that I'm not sure if the Mojave Desert has a monsoon season like our Sonoran Desert. What can you tell me about your monsoons? Does anybody out there have any experience with southern AZ that could give a direct comparison? It really doesn't affect our decision (although we do love this time of year here), I'm really just curious. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM

168 posts, read 211,086 times
We just got a couple hours of rain as well. Now it is sunny and acted as if it was never here...except for the increased humidity.

I think our monsoons are not as frequently as Tucsons. However, some summers we get hit pretty heavy and leave people in awe.

Should be a fairly easy transition.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,473,838 times
Today I was gardening at my family's home in the NW and there was a very brief downpour, less than 5 minutes enough to increase humidity while I was out in the yard. Perhaps Mt.Charleston got some rain as well, it definitely needs it.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,929,752 times
I used to live in Tucson. Although the climates are very similar, I remember way more rain and lightning storms in Tucson than Vegas when it comes to Monsoon season. That makes more sense geographically too.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM

168 posts, read 211,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I used to live in Tucson. Although the climates are very similar, I remember way more rain and lightning storms in Tucson than Vegas when it comes to Monsoon season. That makes more sense geographically too.
Yeah, I looked up statistics and basically LV averages about .45 an inch in July and August. Meanwhile Tucson is around 2 inches during those months.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,033,838 times
Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that we tend to get half our annual rainfall in a five minute span. Had a thunderstorm this morning. It was beautiful. There is nothing like the smell of the desert after a good rain.

If only our drivers would learn to slow down when it rains.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,223,906 times
I heard the thunder very early this morning and the dogs let me know by vibrating the bed with their shaking. But I don't think we got a drop of rain.

Phoenix is usually 5º to 10º hotter than Las Vegas, and AZ gets more rain. I thought Tucson was the same as Phoenix? Maybe you're higher in elevation?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,747,130 times
Poured for about 20 minutes here in Henderson. Then about 20 minutes after that it was dry. That works for me!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM

57 posts, read 99,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I heard the thunder very early this morning and the dogs let me know by vibrating the bed with their shaking. But I don't think we got a drop of rain.

Phoenix is usually 5º to 10º hotter than Las Vegas, and AZ gets more rain. I thought Tucson was the same as Phoenix? Maybe you're higher in elevation?
We're also usually about 5-10 degrees cooler than Phoenix, and yes we're a little bit higher in elevation. I've only been paying attention to LV weather for the past few weeks but you guys have been up there with Phoenix in all of the the heat warnings and such. Let's face it, when it's over 110 it all feels about the same.

Either way, thanks for the info everybody! It sounds like your monsoons aren't quite as dramatic but it's good to know that you do get some rain.

Another question though - When does it start to cool off? In Tucson it's not unusual to still be around 100 degrees in early October. This tends to be the only time of the year that I do get a little annoyed by the heat because the rest of the country is celebrating the fall weather.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM

6,357 posts, read 11,800,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmama13 View Post
We're also usually about 5-10 degrees cooler than Phoenix, and yes we're a little bit higher in elevation. I've only been paying attention to LV weather for the past few weeks but you guys have been up there with Phoenix in all of the the heat warnings and such. Let's face it, when it's over 110 it all feels about the same.

Either way, thanks for the info everybody! It sounds like your monsoons aren't quite as dramatic but it's good to know that you do get some rain.

Another question though - When does it start to cool off? In Tucson it's not unusual to still be around 100 degrees in early October. This tends to be the only time of the year that I do get a little annoyed by the heat because the rest of the country is celebrating the fall weather.
Last 100 degree high usually is no later than September 10th, but often earlier. Tucson is noticeably warmer in winter than Vegas. That probably will be your main adjustment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas