U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 PM

1,012 posts, read 776,001 times

Advertisements

So what can you folks tell me about the down side of owning a pool in Las Vegas?

Anyone got a guess at costs to maintain.

Other downsides we may not be aware of?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 01:01 PM

2,765 posts, read 7,648,766 times
Owning a pool can be costly and a headache. There are people who have time to maintain their own pool and there are those who choose to hire someone to do it for them. Your main costs will be electricity to power the pool pump, chemicals to keep the pool healthy and your time and effort to do the proper steps to maintain it. Most people only use their pool from May - Sept. Very few use them year round, but keep in mind you still have to do maintenance in the months you do not use it. I personally enjoy my own pool and it is worth having for myself and my guests. I love being out on my back yard and grilling some food and enjoy the summer weather with a swim.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:05 PM

421 posts, read 772,420 times
My pool service charges 100.00 a month and come to the house every week. They also provide the chemicals, so I have no extra charge there. The electricity used by the pool pump is minimal and I agree that it's worth having!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:06 PM

Default Thanks

being from the fronzen north I was hoping we could streach that season a bit

I forgot to ask, does anyone have a "salt pool" ? They do it up here with spas.
Just salty enough to stop algee, but you really cant even taste it.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:08 PM

2,765 posts, read 7,648,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
being from the fronzen north I was hoping we could streach that season a bit

I forgot to ask, does anyone have a "salt pool" ? They do it up here with spas.
Just salty enough to stop algee, but you really cant even taste it.
EPA Signature Lab Test

Read this article and you will know the downsides of owning a salt water pool. You decide

Old 07-14-2013, 01:17 PM

Default Heat the pool?

Does anyone heat there pool ?
Many do up here .

Old 07-14-2013, 01:48 PM

5,314 posts, read 6,317,333 times
Just a thought, you can buy a house in a neighborhood with a community pool. Our neighborhood has one that the HOA maintains. It's actually 3 pools and a hot tub. Gated key access, and I go every single day. The most people I've seen at one time in the pool area is 5. Normally it's just me or one other person in the other pool. It is literally a 1 minute walk from my house and I don't have to maintain it. Not a bad option if you don't mind sharing once in a while.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the link..

Cross that off the list !

Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 PM

3,559 posts, read 4,598,293 times
We use a solar cover and it warms it up quite a bit. You could also add a solar rooftop water heater. To add a gas water heater after the pool has been built is quite expensive - I think about $5000. I wouldn't want to swim in my pool after it has cooled down. It's just too cold outside when you get out of the pool.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:07 PM

3,559 posts, read 4,598,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Just a thought, you can buy a house in a neighborhood with a community pool. Our neighborhood has one that the HOA maintains. It's actually 3 pools and a hot tub. Gated key access, and I go every single day. The most people I've seen at one time in the pool area is 5. Normally it's just me or one other person in the other pool. It is literally a 1 minute walk from my house and I don't have to maintain it. Not a bad option if you don't mind sharing once in a while.
Did you buy or are you guys renting? I only ask because it seems like communities that have pools have the highest HOA fees also. I mean several hundred dollars a month. Whereas I only pay $21 per month and they just maintain the common areas and keep the community looking nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas