Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM

17 posts, read 56,754 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Las Vegas in January and have recently started my job search. I will possibly be working in a hospital, but from what I've found online Las Vegas has TONS of hospitals. I've looked through them all and narrowed things down a bit, but do any locals have input on what hospitals are the best quality? And specifically any good pediatric programs? I do speech therapy and would like to be in a pediatric rehab department (or in private practice outside of a hospital).

Also, any tips on renting versus buying come January? We keep going back and forth on which we want to do because it's a military move and we'll be moving again in 4 years, so can't decide if buying would be worth the hassle of selling/renting it out when we leave....

And any areas kinda near north las vegas that people would recommend living? I'm trying to research places online and we've narrowed our options down to Henderson or somewhere in north las vegas (for proximity to Nellis AFB), depending where I end up working, but I've heard bad things about the north area. We'd like an area where we can get a nice home for a decent price and not have to worry too much about safety because I've always been a small-town girl and moving to a place with such a high crime rate has way too paranoid.

Sorry for such disconnected questions, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:18 PM

78 posts, read 117,239 times
I recommend looking into Sunrise Children's Hospital.
And if you lived in Henderson your commute to Sunrise wouldn't be too bad depending on which area you live in (I do the commute and it's really easy). But the commute to Nellis would be kind of long from Henderson…

I've heard good things about Aliante but wouldn't live there myself, just because it's the unknown for me… I like Providence, which is far northwest.

If I were planning on being here 4 years, I would rent. But that's JMO. You may find it beneficial to buy. Lots of people think the housing market will continue to improve and if you get in soon enough maybe it'll be a decent 4-year investment. Although others say it will level off… Home buying is a gamble and I'm a crappy gambler so get others' opinions on that.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 PM

52 posts, read 99,527 times
Folks are constantly debating the buy vs rent, which is great, but its more difficult to just 'buy' a house than most people realize.. Unless you're in the 250k+ price point with a conventional loan, or are a cash buyer, or buy a new build, its very difficult to buy a house.. If you decide to buy, be prepared to pay any difference between the appraisal and sales price or a big chunk of it..

The decision to buy vs rent is tough in itself, and then the challenge of actually buying something is a 2nd hurdle.. Be prepared for a fight if you decide to buy..

Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 AM

My boyfriend's in the military and because he has a guaranteed income with that, he's already pre-approved for about 250k. (and for those about to say I shouldn't buy a house with a guy who's just my boyfriend, he'd be buying it and I'd be paying rent essentially)

Everyone who doesn't live there keeps telling us that it's a good investment to buy, but I'm just not sure.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM

399 posts, read 547,959 times
A bit tangent but are there any good and affordable cafes at any hospitals here? Sometimes a hospital cafe is worth the drive........

Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
The concern with buying in the military is getting unexpected orders and having to up and move suddenly. Orders are lease breakers but not ownership breakers.

For your own safety, make sure you put a bunch of money aside in case it doesn't work out and you need to leave or get the boot!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
A bit tangent but are there any good and affordable cafes at any hospitals here? Sometimes a hospital cafe is worth the drive........
sunrise on desert inn has a great cafeteria.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:54 PM

399 posts, read 547,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
sunrise on desert inn has a great cafeteria.
Thanks, will check it out!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
In Spring Valley are tons of hospitals, Healthsouth Desert Canyon Rehabilitation Hospital, Southern Hills Hospital, VA Primary Care Clinic, St. Rose Dominican, Spring Valley Medical Center..... Next door to Spring Valley Medical Center a new hospital at Rainbow and Russell have broken ground. Goodluck!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM

nice, thanks for the list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas