Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM

77 posts, read 105,414 times

Advertisements

I used to pay about $170 a month for a tiny 1st fl 1 bed apt. The best solution I can offer is to do what I did and buy a brand new energy efficient home nestled against the ridges of the west valley. The sun sets a little earlier and the adjacent mountain retains less heat than the concrete jungle at night. Last month it was $140 and I was so cold inside I never would believe it was hot outside if I didn't go out and feel it for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
I have a feeling that if OP could buy a house, he or she wouldn't be renting an older apt. with single-pane windows. Otherwise, I agree -- extreme west side, as far as you can go, results in the best power bills.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I have a feeling that if OP could buy a house, he or she wouldn't be renting an older apt. with single-pane windows. Otherwise, I agree -- extreme west side, as far as you can go, results in the best power bills.
Extreme west side, may result in added gas bill for your car for shopping and going to work (if you work) which might negate some of that electric savings.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:32 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
That's more of what I was expecting. But I guess there is that much of a difference on the bottom floor?
If it's a 2 story apt building then the sun is beating down on the roof of your unit and as you well know, heat rises which will also affect your 2nd floor unit. I say look for a unit somewhere on the ground floor once your lease is up. Also look for an apartment complex with lots of mature trees, plenty of them around Clark County and if the rate is the same then perhaps you can move. Look for a North facing unit with living/dining room windows facing North and with bedroom windows facing South. It will definitely make a difference. Goodluck!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Also look for an apartment complex with lots of mature trees, plenty of them around Clark County and if the rate is the same then perhaps you can move.
That can be a two-edged sword though. My house is surrounded by trees and is constantly shaded. Although it keeps my a/c bills lower, I have (had) high heating expenses. Prior to buying a condo in Miami Beach for the winters, my heating expenses here in Jan/Feb were routinely as high or higher than my June-Aug electric bills.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:57 PM

244 posts, read 439,935 times
Are you guys talking about monthly bill? My son lives in 1300 sqf condo and his bill during the summer is always about 80 - 110 $. From oct-april bill is usually around 60 $. His AC is around 77f all the time. Something is wrong with your houses....

Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That can be a two-edged sword though. My house is surrounded by trees and is constantly shaded. Although it keeps my a/c bills lower, I have (had) high heating expenses. Prior to buying a condo in Miami Beach for the winters, my heating expenses here in Jan/Feb were routinely as high or higher than my June-Aug electric bills.

Actually mature trees can be like an insulation from the cold during Winter with its thick canopy and foliage, much like getting bundled up to keep warm. During the Summer, it acts as a barrier from the extreme sunshine.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:35 PM

625 posts, read 796,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
Are you guys talking about monthly bill? My son lives in 1300 sqf condo and his bill during the summer is always about 80 - 110 $. From oct-april bill is usually around 60 $. His AC is around 77f all the time. Something is wrong with your houses....
Majority of the issue lies with my unit being old. Doesn't insulate well, single pane windows, super old fridge that is a big source of energy etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's why you want deciduous trees near the house. They block the sun in the summer when fully leafed out, and go bald in the winter to let the sunshine in.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That's why you want deciduous trees near the house. They block the sun in the summer when fully leafed out, and go bald in the winter to let the sunshine in.
You want trees that don't shed much during the Winter, like the Mesquite tree, it acts as an insulation to keep frost/cold wind from your house. It blocks it. I'll give you a great example, I have desert plants out in the open and some under the tree. The ones out in the open during Winter I have to protect it from the cold wind/cold atmosphere using burlap but the ones under the tree are doing just fine without protection even though it is exposed to the elements. Same can be done to your house. I have trees surrounding my unit and I also have shrubs near my windows and it acts like an insulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: