Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 PM

6 posts, read 6,993 times

Advertisements

When I originally viewed the property it was a mess but I was promised that it would be move-in ready on the day that we moved in. They had three weeks to clean the carpet paint the walls and get the entire property up to code. I was also promised that the fencing would be finished and that there would be somebody that came on the property to do an estimate and that the fense would be finished. On the day that we moved in the house had not been painted it looked dirty the walls had handprints and black scuff marks all over the place nails in the walls it was not move in ready. Due to the fact that I had already moved out of the other house I had to move in to this dirty home. I contacted the property manager he said that he would have somebody out in two weeks two weeks went by this person never showed up I asked the manager again he said that he had to get somebody in there to do an estimate and he just keeps drawing it out. He also said that somebody had come by to do an estimate on the fence I never heard back from him I emailed him it took him weeks to respond he then said that they needed to get approval from the owner which he Artie had approval before we even rented she then said that it would take a little while to get a second estimate on how much the fense would cost. The reason why this is such a big deal is I have two children who play out in the backyard garbage is constantly blowing into my yard it's filthy I can't keep stray animals out of my yard and it's a unsafe environment because people can just walk into my backyard. I then decided that we needed to contact his manager who also seems to be giving us the runaround and will not call us back I call on the hour every hour and it seems as though she is in a meeting every hour and then magically she's gone and she will not return my phone calls. What can I do I am located in Las Vegas? I have been renting here for over three months and they won't do anything about this. They also moved their office without even telling us. HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmgiene View Post
When I originally viewed the property it was a mess but I was promised that it would be move-in ready on the day that we moved in. They had three weeks to clean the carpet paint the walls and get the entire property up to code. I was also promised that the fencing would be finished and that there would be somebody that came on the property to do an estimate and that defense would be finished. On the day that we moved in the house had not been painted it looked dirty the walls had handprints and black scuff marks all over the place nails in the walls it was not move in ready. Due to the fact that I had already moved out of the other house I had to move in to this dirty home. I contacted the property manager he said that he would have somebody out in two weeks two weeks went by this person never showed up I has to McGinn he said that he had to get somebody in there to do an estimate and he just keeps drawing it out. He also said that somebody had come by to do an estimate on the fence I never heard back from him I emailed him it took him weeks to respond he then said that they needed to get approval from the owner which he Artie had approval before we even rented she then said that it would take a little while to get a second estimate on how much defense would cost. The reason why this is such a big deal is I have two children who play out in the backyard garbage is constantly blowing into my yard it's filthy I can't keep straight animals out of my yard and it's a unsafe environment because people can just walk into my backyard. I then decided that we needed to contact his manager who also seems to be giving us the runaround and will not call us back I call on the hour every hour and it seems as though she is in a meeting every hour and then magically she's gone and she will not return my phone calls. What can I do I am located in Las Vegas? I have been renting here for over three months and they won't do anything about this. They also moved their office without even telling us. HELP
You got anything in writing? Anything in the lease? If not you pretty much have bought the farm.

The only sensible way is to have the work done and bill the LL. If LL won't pay then small claims court.

If you lose you get stuck for the bill...but at least the house is fixed.

If something was put in the lease or even in the MLS or sales ad or an email you would have a much better chance of winning.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Hire the work out yourself and deduct it from the your rent check "per agreement"... if they argue, let them try to evict you and take them to court.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Hire the work out yourself and deduct it from the your rent check "per agreement"... if they argue, let them try to evict you and take them to court.

Be sure you have lots of "before" pictures, and records of phone calls, letters, the rental ad, anything you can get your hands on that you can use later.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
unless you have something in writing, you are s.o.l... What you describe is not uninhabitable.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 PM

I have the emails stating that it was approved and that the companies will e out and then nothing is done. They also now won't return my phone calls. Them not having the house painted also is what makes me mad an that was also stated in email that it would be done.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 PM

I never would have rented the house had they not sai the house would be fenced

Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 PM

I don't believe I should have to pay full rent on a house that isn't what I was promissed. But I don't have the money to pay for the dense myself.... It's a 6 1/2 foot tall block wall. Can I report them? Should I get ahold of their corporate office? All I want is what I was promissed

Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
You dont have a case... you need signed letters from the ll and pm. If you withhold rent you will be evicted.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
In NV you can't win on rent withholding except on matters of fit for habitation.

You might try billing them some sum for the lack of the things promised...say $100 or $200 per month. They when they don't pay or fix it take them to small claims court.

In NV you can sue in small claims court only over money. You cannot sue to enforce a contract. So what you need to do is to try and convert the deal to a money dispute.

The bad news is such a course takes a few months.

The good news is that most LLs will settle rather than show up. Note emails promising the fence or paint will do it in small claims court though the judge may also through it out for all sorts of reasons. Then again the nature of small claims court allows the judge to hear it if he wishes.

You also need some rationale for your cost. So think hard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: