Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

And this is a big deal because?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And this is a big deal because?

They're among the finest chiles on Earth. They're one of those regional delicacies like Alba truffles, Iberico ham, or Napa cabernet sauvignon that make life more pleasant.

This happens all over the Southwest. And Las Vegas should consider itself lucky that we rate delivery of these peppers. It's one of the very few things I annually look forward to in Las Vegas.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 PM

I guess we have to try them then.

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:07 AM

638 posts, read 594,248 times
When does the season end?

And when you buy them roasted what are the steps to end up with it chopped and frozen? Do you need to do anything extra? And then when using from frozen do you need to cook them or can you just add it like a sauce? How much loss of flavour/heat does freezing them cause?

Love good chiles and haven't tried these...

Old 07-27-2015, 10:06 AM

So if we decide to go to one of these parking lot roastings are we going to end up in a line of 200 people?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:15 AM

Possibly. But you WILL end up with 30 pounds of peppers. Because that's the only quantity most places sell.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:20 AM

30 pounds of peppers for two people. Holy cow. We'd need to buy a separate freezer.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:30 AM

After roasting and cleaning (the skins, tops and seeds go to the compost pile), you'll end up with 15-20 pounds of yield. I put them in 15-20 ziplock bags and freeze -- some whole, some chopped. But I always make chile rellenos on pepper day. And usually for a couple days after as well.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:16 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
this is a little confusing... are there two options, already roasted and fresh?

if so, do you eat the roasted ones at the store's parking lot, are they a part of a dish or something?

i have to see what the hype is about, but don't have room for 20lbs of vegetables to pack into my freezer

Old 07-27-2015, 02:52 PM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
When does the season end?

And when you buy them roasted what are the steps to end up with it chopped and frozen? Do you need to do anything extra? And then when using from frozen do you need to cook them or can you just add it like a sauce? How much loss of flavour/heat does freezing them cause?

Love good chiles and haven't tried these...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So if we decide to go to one of these parking lot roastings are we going to end up in a line of 200 people?
Last year, I bought 25 pounds at Smiths - they were selling (& roasting) them for 3-4 consecutive weeks & had it prominently displayed in their ads. I think I paid $16.99 for 25 pounds & the roasting was free. The guy who did the roasting said they did it as a loss leader to get people in the store; makes sense when you think about the equipment, gas & other expenses as well as the person's time. I didn't have to wait at all when I went (Smiths at Centennial & Losee) - OK, I had to wait like 2 minutes while the guy got the roaster going but nobody was in line ahead of me.

When they roast them, it will char the outside skins black & impart a wonderful nutty, smoky smell to the chiles. I literally took home 25 pounds of chiles & skinned & cleaned them that night, putting them in about 15-20 ziploc/storage bags for future use. Expect to take some time doing this & have a bit of a mess, throwing out about 25% of the overall weight. Use a darker cutting board or expect to get a lot of black stuff on the one you use.

See my cuban black bean soup post several posts previous to this, it's a perfect example of the flexibility & usefulness of the chiles. The recipe calls for a green bell pepper; I got some of these out of the freezer & substituted them for the bell pepper & made the BEST soup I've ever made - and I've made some good soups/stews.

I tend to use the chiles making varieties of eggs. I also use them as a substitute for bell peppers in a number of recipes, really playing it by ear according to whether I think they'd help. They've been great in jambalaya & gumbo. Almost every time the results have been great. When using them from frozen, I tend to take a few out of a ziploc, dice them then add to whatever I'm cooking. For me at least, the freezing doesn't seem to have affected the flavor although I'm sure there's something to be said for having a few right when they're fresh roasted. They aren't as hot as jalapeno or habanero peppers, it's a different kind of heat - I love the latent heat they provide along with a little bit of smokiness.

Buzz, Scoop & others may have other recipes or suggestions above & beyond what I've listed. Although I wasn't blown away by them right away, I will say they've complemented almost everything I've made with them & at this point I'd rather cook with them than just about any chile. They've been a wonderful little thing to discover after a few decades on the planet; sometimes it's pretty cool to discover something new when you think you've seen a lot of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas