Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:05 PM

638 posts, read 593,974 times

Advertisements

yeah, don't think this is going to work for me.... Firstly pretty sure I'm missing the season, and secondly I'm averaging a month a year in town right now, going to take me a while to get through 25lbs at that rate....

Are there any products that I can buy that incorporate them?

I did see one of the chile producers mailing them out already roasted skinned frozen and chopped when the season is over. Might give that a go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
Are there any products that I can buy that incorporate them?

I did see one of the chile producers mailing them out already roasted skinned frozen and chopped when the season is over. Might give that a go.

Most of the year, they're only available canned. That's like the difference between canned haggis and real haggis.

You can buy any amount of peppers you want from the supermarkets during the August Hatch pepper season -- but the supermarket won't roast them for you in small batches. That means copious smoke out of the broiler or roasting them on a grill. Or you can go in with someone and split a bag/box.

Supermarkets bank on the fact that anyone who wants these peppers wants a LOT of these peppers. Delgadobb is right -- they're versatile. They have more flavor than a jalapeno and they're not going to burn you like a habanero.

You can simply puree them and have an instant, fantastic salsa.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,399 times
so they're available now or are we still waiting for the grocery stores to stock them???

Old 07-27-2015, 07:28 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
This is a perfectly good chance for those interested to meet up at a Smiths and split orders. I owe Scoop some from last year. He was gracious enough to just give me 4lbs since I missed the meet.

These things are crazy good.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:58 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
When does the season end?

And when you buy them roasted what are the steps to end up with it chopped and frozen? Do you need to do anything extra? And then when using from frozen do you need to cook them or can you just add it like a sauce? How much loss of flavour/heat does freezing them cause?

Love good chiles and haven't tried these...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
this is a little confusing... are there two options, already roasted and fresh?

if so, do you eat the roasted ones at the store's parking lot, are they a part of a dish or something?

i have to see what the hype is about, but don't have room for 20lbs of vegetables to pack into my freezer
Hatch green chiles are the best tasting chiles on earth. When you buy a large burlap bag of them, they roast them for you at the store in the parking lot. Just standing around smelling the chiles roasting is worth the effort. Then you take them home and package them in zip lock bags. We put about six in a small zip lock, them put them all in large zip locks to prevent freezer burn. They'll last at least two years. I tell my wife they're good for as long as it takes to eat them, but she usually throws out any leftovers after two years. For most people in New Mexico, one bag isn't enough for a year, because they eat them on everything ...even put them in cheesecake.

I don't suggest chopping them before freezing, unless you really want to. We never chop them, because we don't make salsa. We usually will make chile rellenos, or put them on hamburgers, or in scrambled eggs, etc., whole. Oh, and leave the burnt skins on, and he seed in, until ready to thaw and eat. And it's the stringy things that hold the seeds that give them the heat.

In New Mexico, where the are sold everywhere, the season usually starts in August, and ends late Sept or early Oct. Here you only have a few places that roast them, such as Albertsons or Smiths, and they usually just do one weekend.

Stay tuned for my relleno recipe.

Last edited by Buzz123; 07-28-2015 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 AM

You can cut this recipe in half. We never make 14 at a time unless we have the girls over.

Christina’s Chili Rellenos
from Buzz
I have a pet peeve about chili rellenos being in batter that's too heavy. Here's the right way to make them as given to me by a Mexican/American friend from Nogales, Arizona, on the Mexican border (literally, the border runs right through the middle of town).
14 fresh green chili peppers
6 eggs
a couple of tablespoons of flour
salt & pepper to taste
Monterrey Jack Cheese
Unless you live where they roast them for you by the bushel, as we do, you have to roast the peppers to burn off the skins. Broil them and turn frequently. Try not to burn the stems as they will look very nice when you serve them. Cool them in a paper bag, then peel the skins off, and remove the seeds. Be gentle so they don't fall apart, and keep the stems (tails) on.
Separate the eggs, and beat the whites, but not too stiff, adding salt and pepper. Then add the flour (white, whole wheat does not work). Use very little flour. Then add some or all of the egg yolks, mostly for color, and beat some more.
Slice the cheese into strips, place inside the peppers, then take the peppers by the tails and dip in the batter. Fry slowly with very little oil.
The secret is not too much flour. This makes a very light batter that is delicious, but doesn't overpower the peppers like some restaurants do.
Serve with steak, and refried beans, Spanish rice, tacos, enchiladas, or as the main dish; whatever you like. Very good with sour cream on top, too.
Your big challenge will be to find Hatch, New Mexico green chilis. I hear you can find whole chilis in cans like the Ortega brand, but we use fresh (frozen) Hatch, New Mexico, Big Jims. We watch for the 18 wheeler loads to show up in the parking lot of Albertsons Super Markets, and buy a bushel that they roast for you on the spot. Then we peel them, and put them into plastic sandwich bags of 5 or 6 to a bag, then put the small bags in a large freezer bag so they don’t get freezer burn, and we have them year round. We probably eat most of them mixed with scrambled eggs or on sandwiches. Great on hamburgers. Yummmmm.
Nothing says Fall like the smell of roasting green chilis, but roasting in your oven can run you out of the house. So open all the doors and windows, and turn on the exhaust fans.  Try it, you'll like it.
Here's an informative site, and you can order peppers from them too, although I can’t believe their high prices for fresh chilis.
About Hatch NM Chili

Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 AM

People in New Mexico still argue whether it's spelled chili or chile. I now prefer chile for the pepper, and chili for the dish such as chili con carne.

Chile, Chili or Chilli? - Mexican Food FAQ

Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 AM

638 posts, read 593,974 times
whats all this big jim, barker, sandia, joe parker and lumbre business?

Small chance I'll be back at the end of september, so looking forward to this. Will they still be roasting then?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:18 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Possibly. But you WILL end up with 30 pounds of peppers. Because that's the only quantity most places sell.
Last year, the Abertson's on Silverado Ranch sold freshly roasted hatch chiles in small bunches in the prepared veggie section.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:09 AM

455 posts, read 651,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
People in New Mexico still argue whether it's spelled chili or chile. I now prefer chile for the pepper, and chili for the dish such as chili con carne.

[URL="http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/mexicancookingfaqs/f/chileorchili.htm"]Chile, Chili or Chilli? - Mexican Food FAQ[/URL]
In New Mexico, it's spelled chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas