Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:22 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,929,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Funny how some people who pay high fees just don't like being bent over backwards for a car that is more efficient and pollutes less than the old car that pays close to nothing. Fair is based on use not "hey look this guy paid X for his car he can afford more."

Don't like your school move. Don't like cops shooting people move. How about solving the massive inequity in the system instead? I'd flip it around and say its the people with your very stance that feel entitled. For as much as you hate California you have the same Robin Hood mentality.
It's not like it's a mystery how car registration works in Nevada. It would be one thing if we were blind-siding people. But we're not. Anyone can look up the fees and plan accordingly (for instance, they could sell the Nissan GT-R Egoist* before they move here, and purchase something more reasonable.) People who own more expensive houses pay more in property tax. People who own more expensive cars pay more in registration. It's a no-freakin' brainer. I don't see how there can be any kind of argument.

* What a perfect name for that car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,912,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Scroll down to the bottom of the page

Nevada Vehicle Registration

Do I Have to Register My Car in Nevada?

You must register your vehicle in Nevada if you are a resident as outlined below or a non-resident who meets certain conditions. The initial fine for failing to register your vehicle in Nevada is $1,000.
New residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. See our New Resident Guide. In most vehicle sales, the deadline to register the vehicle is 30 days from the date of the sale.
Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 "Resident" defined.
  1. "Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
    1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
    2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
    3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
    4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
  2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.
Non-Residents

Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:
  • if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year -Well since I am in Nevada more than 30 days annually, BUT not all at the same time I guess I am doing things illegally......
  • if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada
  • if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada
  • if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here
Exemptions

There are some exemptions. You are not required to register your vehicle here if you are:
  • on active duty in the military service of the United States - Also they left out Retired from Active Duty Military... You can claim the state of residence for any state AND live anywhere you choose and NOT have to register with that state....
  • an out-of-state student - My son was cited for his vehicle having out of state plates while he was attending school in Las Vegas.. Went to court and they declared since he was NOT actually in school the entire time (forget about registering, finding housing, etc) he was illegally operating his vehicle....
  • a registered student at a college or university located outside Nevada and in the state for a period of not more than 6 months to participate in a work-study program for which you earn academic credits from the college or university
  • a migrant or seasonal farm worker
  • a border state employee (commute into Nevada for employment within 35 miles of the border)
You do not have to maintain a registration or liability insurance if your vehicle is in storage or otherwise not being driven on public streets. You must surrender the license plates if you drop the liability insurance for any reason.
Out-of-State Business Vehicles

Commercial vehicles 10,001 pounds or greater that are based in other states must obtain trip permits to travel in Nevada if they do not have an apportioned registration. See the Trip Permit FAQs and Motor Carrier Permits.
Laws
See above for my info on this

Old 09-06-2013, 03:54 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,704,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Don't get me wrong. People SHOULD register. I just have a problem with people being busy bodies and turning others in

I am hardly a busy body but I will rat you out if you don't pay your fair share. Vehicle registration, stealing cable tv, or sneaking though the back door for a free city bus ride. Why should I have to pay and you don't ?

Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,929,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
I am hardly a busy body but I will rat you out if you don't pay your fair share. Vehicle registration, stealing cable tv, or sneaking though the back door for a free city bus ride. Why should I have to pay and you don't ?
Exactly. It's called "fair share" for a reason. People who are against this are invariably people with a grossly exaggerated sense of entitlement.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:22 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,711,476 times
I guess I have a problem. Since I'm in Nevada over 30 days a year I'm supposed to register in Nevada. So now California will have a problem that I'm registered in Nevada and living in California. Common sense tells me that I should keep my California plates until I move to Nevada permanently. I'm sure others will disagree but oh well...........I am paying property tax to live here.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 AM

654 posts, read 1,318,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Ever since that ride, I seem to notice it more. There are a LOT of them. And I'll see Metro pass these unregistered cars, never pulling them over. If they're not going to enforce the law, why bother with registration at all?
There are times I disagree with Scoop. This is NOT one of them.

While I dislike the 'tattletale' mentality, the reality is I pay my fair share. I paid $11K new for my car when I got here; I'm on my 6th registration & still pay $200 annually (just paid in August), part of that is related to delayed depreciation because the state's not getting the registration funds they deserve. I agree registration costs are high here, but I put up with them thanks to lower cost of living, no income tax, etc. If I choose a more expensive car I know I'll have to pay more annually to drive it. I have a few neighbors who are California transplants (live here now) who bought a $50-70K SUV (Henderson auto dealer plate frame), spend money like drunken sailors then cry poverty as to why they don't register their vehicles. That doesn't fly. I've given them fair warning, telling them I haven't yet said anything but 'eventually I will' - I'll let them worry about when 'eventually' is, letting their conscience be their guide.

There are more cars without plates (or window tags) in this state than anywhere I've lived, by at least a factor of ten. Many are blacked-out all around the vehicle; while I've heard discussion of the various meanings this can have, I'll leave it to those in the group more well-versed than I to discuss. True story: I'm headed from the gym to poker at night, south on the frontage road from Charleston where you merge onto I-15 from the left lane. Not one but two cars are driving erratically with no plates; I call 911 to report as a cop is right in front of me. As I'm on the phone with them, one car passes the cop & nothing; they claim they're calling the guy on the radio, but he just goes about his thing & does nothing, casually getting on the highway? No lights or siren, didn't seem in a rush to get anywhere, but also didn't seem interested in picking up the reckless drivers with no plates??? Confounded me.

I seem to see vehicles without plates daily and it's rare to see any kind of paperwork in the window (yes, I look). How do these people not get picked up? Last year I was pulled over literally the day after my tags expired (I had renewed through the mail a couple weeks earlier & the tags had just showed up that day, so the officer let me go on my way after I showed him the tags & registration in the glove box. I explained I had to remove the plate frame to install the sticker, so he said to do it as soon as possible.) If someone can notice something with that level of detail, how do they miss all these cars with no plates?

While I understand there can be extenuating circumstances with individual cases, those cases certainly seem to be the exception.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,789,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
if you are a seasonal resident, you are here for more than 30 days... the car needs to be registered here.
Quote:
Exactly. It's called "fair share" for a reason. People who are against this are invariably people with a grossly exaggerated sense of entitlement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I guess I have a problem. Since I'm in Nevada over 30 days a year I'm supposed to register in Nevada. So now California will have a problem that I'm registered in Nevada and living in California. Common sense tells me that I should keep my California plates until I move to Nevada permanently. I'm sure others will disagree but oh well...........I am paying property tax to live here.
Let's do a hypothetical. Let's say a person's principal residence (as defined by the state & the IRS) is Las Vegas. She owns a house here, is registered to vote here, pays all relevant property taxes here, pays sales taxes on purchases here, pays use taxes on out-of-state internet purchases (in lieu of sales taxes), etc.

Let's say she spends 250 days/year living in LV. So, her car should be registered here. BUT... she spends the balance of the year living in Park City, UT -- ski season. She owns a vacation residence there (as defined by the state of UT and the IRS). Because it is a vacation residence, she cannot register to vote there, and she pays a higher property tax rate in UT, but of course as a non-resident she doesn't pay UT state income tax.

BUT... UT has a law that reads the same as NV in that a non-resident's vehicle must be registered in UT if the vehicle spends over 31 days in state in one calendar year.

What should she do?

Should she register her vehicles in NV, and then once she drives to UT should she re-register her vehicle in UT, only to re-re-register the vehicle in NV once she returns at the end of ski season?

Most people wouldn't register the vehicle multiple times/year as registration is for a full calendar year and they feel they've already paid their taxes on the vehicle albeit to a different state.

Or... maybe registering the vehicle multiple times/year is the price she pays for having a vacation home in another state -- clearly a high class problem.

What do you think - based on your reading of the regulations should she re-register her car multiple times/year based on the 31 day rule?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:01 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,114,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
I could give a crap in this city. So many tags from visitors it's not worth the pain. Plus people in the military are allowed to have out of state plates so it could be one of their cars.
Yes. Active duty stationed in this state do not have to register in this state. Out if the 500+ coworkers of mine, about half of them have out of state plates. Texas, Florida and North Carolina plates are the majority.

I have a neighbor with a late model E-Class Mercedes and a Range Rover. They both have California plates on them. From our few neighborly conversations, I know that they are "permanent" residents here and don't plan on leaving this city. With that said, I don't plan on snitching on them but the fee for both of these vehicles could help finance an employee on a new road project or something else the city needs.

What's the fee on these two vehicles? Both are 2010 or newer.

Sent from watch

Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM

555 posts, read 1,253,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Quote:

Very nicely said.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,114,709 times
Off the wall question:

I have been selected twice for jury duty since I have been living here, yet I am a legal resident(home of record) of Florida. So, is the state using my car registration info to randomly pick me?

My wife also gets selected about every two years or so.

Sent from watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas