Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:26 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC, but go out to Vegas fairly often. There's very little of what I would consider an upscale urban lifestyle in Vegas. Even if you're in a high rise, everything is much more suburban. You're not going to be walking to very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan0630 View Post
So, this is a very interesting point for me. First of all - hello. New to the forum, although I have been lurking for a couple of weeks. I am considering a relocation for a professional opportunity. Like the original poster, I am in my 30s, single, and starting to think through where I'd live. And like the OP, it'd be important to me to not live anywhere too sleepy.

But I also wouldn't want to live the life of essentially an extended-stay tourist with a job. Given that, what are the options for someone who wants to incorporate locally but also have more of an urban lifestyle?

Thanks,

Pats Fan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 PM

15 posts, read 44,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I live in NYC, but go out to Vegas fairly often. There's very little of what I would consider an upscale urban lifestyle in Vegas. Even if you're in a high rise, everything is much more suburban. You're not going to be walking to very much.
Thanks for the input. The overall sense I am developing is consistent with your input. I used to live in Astoria, Queens and loved it there - but I realize there's probably few places in the USA with that kind of vibe. Oh well, there are trade-offs. I suppose here instead I can get a nice sized house, have some outdoor space, a game room and stuff like that.

PatsFan

Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM

Yes. That's where Vegas works. For what you can rent a one bedroom in a good area of Queens, you can rent a three bedroom, two bath house in Vegas , and have a quicker commute to work. If you want something urban in the NYC mold, fuggedaboudit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan0630 View Post
Thanks for the input. The overall sense I am developing is consistent with your input. I used to live in Astoria, Queens and loved it there - but I realize there's probably few places in the USA with that kind of vibe. Oh well, there are trade-offs. I suppose here instead I can get a nice sized house, have some outdoor space, a game room and stuff like that.

PatsFan

Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 PM

11 posts, read 23,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
That's a different issue. Whether it's true depends on a number of issues. What kind of lifestyle you want? Where do you work? How much space you need? Do you have kids?

I think for a single or DINK couple, with some money (because that's who'd buy a strip condo), living on the strip could be a lot of fun. You're going to have a car, so issues like shopping are pretty much the same as everyone else. And having a well appointed luxury condo with a good pool and other services, tied right in with the bars, restaurants, and other entertainment on the strip would be an interesting way to live.

If you want the standard suburban lifestyle, there's a lot of that to be had in metro Vegas. And, yes, that would be off the strip.
I was more trying to say, everything right outside the strip is pretty ghetto.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM

Yes. I wouldn't touch most of the stuff immediately east of the strip, except for maybe Turnberry. There's another set of condos off of Flamingo that might be okay. The rest is pretty rough. Or at least was. The boom started what in NYC would be called gentrification. Can't say I know what happened because of the bust, but it can't be good.

West of the strip and the 15 is a bit of an industrial wasteland. Not Ghetto, per se, but very commercial/industial, and, until recently, not residential. Panorama/Martin where incongruously dropped into the middle of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudironimis View Post
I was more trying to say, everything right outside the strip is pretty ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: