Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,661,537 times

Advertisements

I love it. The cooler temps and the rain. I feel human again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 PM

210 posts, read 448,713 times
Rain I'm OK with. This humidity is beyond awful. I cannot live in the South for that exact reason!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,289,134 times
Enjoy it while you can. It doesn't happen very often. Kevin Janison, Ch-3 weatherman, gave this stat tonight - so far we've had 19 days of monsoon weather. The previous record was only 11. I think that was set in 1982 or so. Usually the monsoons hit in July and August, and most of it stays in Arizona and Utah. Today it only got up to 81. That's a wonderful change for us. Next week will be dry again and back into the 90s. Humid? Even when it's pouring rain our humidity is half what they get back east, especially in the southeast.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Humidity, lol, y'all crack me up! I was in Charleston, SC two weeks ago - now THAT's humidity. Las Vegas this week is what southerners call dry...
I was in Chawlst'n in late October a couple of years back. It was so hot and humid it nearly made us sick. Then on the way to Florida I stopped at Parris Island to show my wife the place I had a love hate relationship with, and it was 20 degrees hotter and 20% more humid than Charleston which is right up the road a piece. Jacksonville was even worse than Charleston. Love Charleston though. I like to say it's Nawlins with class.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
This prolonged humidity spell, some 3 weeks now, has been raising holy hell with my body and if those "terrorists"/clouds don't move out of the valley by next week I'll be shopping around for an electric wheelchair!

My right hip is screaming the loudest! To put my pants on I have to physically pull my right leg up and insert it into the pants! Getting into the car, I have to physically lift my right leg and drag it into the car!

I asked my co-workers the last few days how they were holding up to all this humidity, and I'm not alone! Aches and pains, aches and pains! Pain medications!

I'm beginning to explore ideas for next summer if this should re-occur. Where to go to dry out here in the SW?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
This is a Phoenix level Monsoon. They do not get this far north normally. But actually I thought it was kind of nice.

Note this years rainfall is still only half of normal.
Rainfall measurements, what a deception! A few weeks ago, on the news, I heard that an inch and a half of rain fell in one area of Henderson, little or no rainfall for the rest of the valley. Then you hear of a big downpour elsewhere in the valley, and yet, they go with the measurement of rain, for the year, at the Airport!

I can just see it happening one year, a 4-inch downpour out near Red Rock, no precipitation recorded at the Airport, and the city is flooded! And yet, we go down on record that year as one of the driest ever!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Rainfall measurements, what a deception! A few weeks ago, on the news, I heard that an inch and a half of rain fell in one area of Henderson, little or no rainfall for the rest of the valley. Then you hear of a big downpour elsewhere in the valley, and yet, they go with the measurement of rain, for the year, at the Airport!

I can just see it happening one year, a 4-inch downpour out near Red Rock, no precipitation recorded at the Airport, and the city is flooded! And yet, we go down on record that year as one of the driest ever!
How would you measure it?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

My dad used to say his aching bones told him when it was going to rain. He called it rheumatism.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,077,283 times
I've already been called crazy, but the weather has been great. Feels like I'm in an area that can sustain life.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
How would you measure it?
Good question! How to measure rainfall for the widely diverse Las Vegas Valley! At least when I watch the weather on the local channels, it will report the widely diverse rainfall measurements throughout the valley after a storm.

I can view the Wash, that goes from DI to Sahara, from my 2nd floor window, and when I see the Wash is rushing, and yet no rain my area of town, I knew there was a downpour somewhere to the west of the valley. How far away, who knows!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas