Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:23 PM

151 posts, read 227,277 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow, as part of the I 95 widening, a new HOV lane will be opened on the north bound side. Does anyone else think this is a waste of a lane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
Tomorrow, as part of the I 95 widening, a new HOV lane will be opened on the north bound side. Does anyone else think this is a waste of a lane?
As far as I can see it will make no significant difference. So if it keeps those who worry about such things happy - great.

Now if they got a HOV flyover at the spaqhetti bowl? Hey I might use a dummy or even hire a rider.

I used to just love the HOV lane on the 405 in south LA.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
I don't think so yet.Give it 5 years then yes now doubt.I don't live in Vegas but I know the Rainbow Curve and Spaghetti Bowl are not good places to be.Did anyone see the mess on the 15 south of Sahara tonight?It was uglier than average.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:41 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
The HOV lane makes about as much since as those lights that allow one car at a time on the freeway. What's the difference? They're all going to be on the freeway anyway in a few more seconds. It just backs up traffic onto the surface streets and makes everyone mad so that when they get on the freeway they are in road rage already. A better solution would be longer merge lanes...and, of course, teaching people how to merge. I don't understand this fascination with trying to be like California. When I go to California I see practically empty HOV lanes. If they insist on using them, then why not require at least three people in the car if they want less cars on the road?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:34 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
As someone who uses an HOV lane all the time - I love them - and, as the 95 gets closer to being done - LOL - it will get even better. They also should put one on the 215

Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times
Does anyone know what improper use of the "diamond" lane will cost? By the way, how will HOV 95S merge into 15S at the "bowl" during gridlock? Or, is this only northbound?

Last edited by sheriff; 11-16-2007 at 08:00 AM..

Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I wonder if they have plans down the road to sell HOV passes for people who want to pay to use the lanes? It does generate revenue for more and better roads. Some states are not just requiring 2 or more people, it's 2 or more licensed drivers. I guess they want to get the soccer moms out of the fast lane!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:13 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
I love HOV lanes and the meters on the on ramps. Encouraging people to pool rides is a great idea, especially since most people work in the same area, so it shouldn't be hard to find a co-worker or neighbor going your way and share rides. As for the meters on the on-ramps, they make it much easier to merge onto the freeway, since there isn't some jerk behind you trying to pass you as you are looking to merge.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:00 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Does anyone know what improper use of the "diamond" lane will cost? By the way, how will HOV 95S merge into 15S at the "bowl" during gridlock? Or, is this only northbound?
Fine is $250.

South bound comes Monday. It is in both directions. The merge to I15 South is the new permanent bottle neck. It appears though to take only 10 or 12 minutes so it may be an overall improvement. The Rainbow curve jam appears gone...not even a hint left. Looks like Summerlin Parkway merges at full speed as well.

The only bad thing is that you are pretty well committed to the spaghetti bowl at Decatur.

I would also note that the continuation south on 95 appears to jam at the spaghetti bowl as well. That one surprises me if true. So it may not be possible to overshoot and come back to the strip from the east.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:11 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Fine is $250.

South bound comes Monday. It is in both directions. The merge to I15 South is the new permanent bottle neck. It appears though to take only 10 or 12 minutes so it may be an overall improvement. The Rainbow curve jam appears gone...not even a hint left. Looks like Summerlin Parkway merges at full speed as well.

The only bad thing is that you are pretty well committed to the spaghetti bowl at Decatur.

I would also note that the continuation south on 95 appears to jam at the spaghetti bowl as well. That one surprises me if true. So it may not be possible to overshoot and come back to the strip from the east.
In my opinion the bowl jam S is caused not by the merge of 95, or Charleston, but rather the ambiguous nature of the Sahara ramp. Just my opinion, though. The S 95 "continuation" jam seems to be caused by the narrow merge with 15 and the high number of trucks on that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: