Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 05:45 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgore View Post
That's not normal. Camden properties charge NOTHING to repair/replace broken things. I just had my AC unit fan replaced, a new ceiling fan, and the light socket in my bathroom replaced and paid nothing more than a smile and a thank you to maintenance. Rent Camden, don't look back.
I think lvoc was saying that it doesn't apply to apartments. I've NEVER heard of this on an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 06:11 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Doesn't apply to apartments! I'd rather have a home anyday over an apartment...

Old 09-14-2013, 06:14 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
We had a string of things happen during our first month here. We chalked it up to the owner buying the place in April and renting it to us in June. Master shower leaked through the kitchen ceiling (got brand new tile shower installed in 3 days), dryer wouldn't dry (ended up being really clogged vent, but he still replaced the dryer AND washer with brand new units), and a few smaller things (refrigerator filter was never changed, a/c maintenance light was on, etc). Property Manager and owner took care of everything extremely quickly, and then knocked $350 off our month's rent for the inconvenience. We felt bad for the owner, as cosmetically, the place looks great, but there were some issues that we're assuming he never knew about. I think in our lease we have a $50 fee for if non-major things happen, but it never came up.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Doesn't apply to apartments! I'd rather have a home anyday over an apartment...
More smugness.

My apartment IS my home.

Don't confuse home with house.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
More smugness.

My apartment IS my home.

Don't confuse home with house.
it's not being smug..... my opinion is that i would prefer a Single Family Residence over an apartment... Better?

Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
It's a standard clause in the GLVAR form. It can be negotiated to zero if you dislike it but most LLs should put some amount to encourage proper treatment of the amenities.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:21 AM

19 posts, read 41,835 times
I got into a home last year in Henderson with the same scenario. Needless to say, i fix everything that breaks which leads me to a very off topic gripe: It took me 45 minutes on the phone trying to find a place that would see a air conditioner motor run capacitor. Turns out you have to be certified as a AC repairman to repair a ELECTRICAL COMPONENT!!

Makes sense right?

BTW, i found a place off Eastern that sells to us DIY'rs.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 PM

59 posts, read 113,088 times
I had a similar experience when I rented a home in Henderson after relocating from the East coast. The lease required the payment of the $60 call-out fee for the homeowners warranty service.

I didn't object to it - the house looked in good shape, things seemed to work, etc. However, problems requiring a call to the warranty service began immediately.

It turns out there were many major issues with the home that the owners - a group of out of state investors - had not ascertained.

For the few months I lived there, I ended up paying almost $500 in those fees and it was one of the many serious issues that prompted me to break the lease successfully.

I don't think it's unusual in LV or many other places - I would just make sure the landlord is not shifting his/her burden to maintain the property onto you.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,117 times
When I lived there, my apartment manager had a clause that I paid for any repairs under $50. I thought it was fair and I think such leases encourage people to take care of the property so things don't break. If I were in a house, I would have no problem with the $250 either. I would not rent the home if it was not in pristine condition, so as long as I took care of it, there should not be a problem.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,117 times
It can and does happen in small apt buildings, privately owned. I had 10 units in my building, owned by a man and his wife and the lease required anything under $50 paid for by the tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas