Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:40 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,154 times

Advertisements

If I went far from the strip I would use the computer to try and get back...
At first I had one day restricted as well...I never played the radio but I would use the computer.

Usually I hung out at HRH at did airport runs all day.

After 9AM it was a drive through usually.

There were only a few courses I went to I knew them well...if I got a new one my GPS was there. Good tippers them golfers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 04:31 PM

61 posts, read 105,042 times
Surprised to hear this job is seasonal. What are the good months, or the good season? (Thanks!).

Old 09-22-2013, 04:34 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,138,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana5947 View Post
Surprised to hear this job is seasonal. What are the good months, or the good season? (Thanks!).
oh december is abysmal. the whole holiday season, generally speaking, but december dies, then the new year crowd, then the conventions start, then you're in business. the rest of the months depends on what's going on, what fights going on that weekend, rodeos, other events, the economy plays a big factor in the number of incoming visitors, you know, bread and butter crowd.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:36 PM

i looked at taking radio calls as helping out the dispatchers, and staying in their good graces was my intention. i had to depend on them during my restricted cab day to get radio calls. you know, scratching backs.

the job boils down to strategy. position. memory. intel. and being quick to pick up on what's going on. you do settle into a routine, but you have to remain flexible and able to change to get the fares.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 PM

It's very seasonal... You have to pay attention to what's going on in town. December is bad except for NFR week, conventions can make a difference but depending on which one it is the tips can suck.

The trendier the people think they are the worse they tend to tip...the MAGIC and Jewelry shows tended to not tip well...same with ASD. World of Concrete tipped decently as did the SHOT show and AVN. CES was hit and miss. NFR tipped good and had the second hottest girls per capita IMHO....first was the Pharmaceutical convention...4.5 of of 5 girls were pretty hot! ...just saying...

On non tipped shows, I was a contrarian...I stayed away from them and filled in the gap left by the cabbies staging at those places.

I agree that your routine falls apart sometimes and you gotta go fishing.

The other thing that amazed me was how often I'd pick up the same people in a week or even on their next visit...and they'd remember me. They'd get in and tell me I was their cabbie the day before....crazy.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:00 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
Today worked out rather well. I started in a geo. ****. 2 runs in and dispatch calls me cell, tells me to come in for an equipment change. Sweet!. Get a red tag and run to the strip. Most of the rides were 15 or more. Almost everyone tipped. Cleared 300 book so I made 160 total for the day. Not bad BUT I ended up working 13.5 hours and I have to be back in in less than 8 hours. I just walked in my front door.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post

What would always kill me is seeing the fare tip the doorman $5 just for waving a cab forward and opening the door, but give the cabbie $2 for driving them and answering all of their stupid questions.

That pisses me off to no end. He opens the door!! I drive you safely to your destination and unload your bags!!

The dude at the bellagio will not open the hatch either. I have to get out every time. I want to deck him so bad. You get paid and tipped to do this, quit making me unbuckle, get out, open the door, wait for you to load, then close the door. Prick.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:29 PM

MOST of the doormen want you to get out and open the back.

Once I had this huge Black South African doorman tilt the bag and slap the side, I just looked at him. He slapped it again and asked me to grab the side handle and help him lift the bag because it was heavy. I said; SERIOUSLY? and I grabbed the top handle from him and one handed yanked the bag up and into the trunk. He just stood there and stared, meanwhile the one passenger just watched then got in and laughed about it on the ride.

Now, I'll admit it was heavy and I probably should have used two hands, but there's no way any man would have needed help with it....especially one his size.

A lot of the doormen are just plain lazy though.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Today worked out rather well. I started in a geo. ****. 2 runs in and dispatch calls me cell, tells me to come in for an equipment change. Sweet!. Get a red tag and run to the strip. Most of the rides were 15 or more. Almost everyone tipped. Cleared 300 book so I made 160 total for the day. Not bad BUT I ended up working 13.5 hours and I have to be back in in less than 8 hours. I just walked in my front door.
very nice... this is encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
MOST of the doormen want you to get out and open the back.

Once I had this huge Black South African doorman tilt the bag and slap the side, I just looked at him. He slapped it again and asked me to grab the side handle and help him lift the bag because it was heavy. I said; SERIOUSLY? and I grabbed the top handle from him and one handed yanked the bag up and into the trunk. He just stood there and stared, meanwhile the one passenger just watched then got in and laughed about it on the ride.

Now, I'll admit it was heavy and I probably should have used two hands, but there's no way any man would have needed help with it....especially one his size.

A lot of the doormen are just plain lazy though.
most doormen are idiots... otherwise they wouldn't be doormen.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM

yeah the bellagio doorman thought he was something.

then you get a fare from hell. this guy was acting strange. going from motel to motel. then he disappeared into a room. called TA. they called metro. turns out the guy was an addict and couldn't pay the fare. he p'd his pants and the seat was wet. they took him away in cuffs and meanwhile my day was shot. the DA sent me a letter saying they wanted me to testify against this clown. turns out he must have copped a plea deal but they sent me a check anyway for witness duty that i never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas