U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM

15,759 posts, read 19,044,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I'm not sure, but I remember you can buy liquor at any Northern Ca grocery chain. So I'm not sure about other states? Its just odd to see the mom and pop type liquor stores are not common in Vegas.
I think this is another of those Nevada thingies...like taxicabs and limos...

Three tiers - one imports or manufactures. One wholesales. One retail. One can deal only up or down. No skipping levels. No between members of a level. Someplace in here is buried a way for wholesalers to make a lot of money.

There are no alcoholic beverage control laws in Nevada. So all the regulation is local. State just collects a tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-18-2007, 10:52 PM

12,245 posts, read 15,211,465 times
My brother once bought some very expensive "licker" up in Pahrump!

Unread 11-19-2007, 12:33 AM

11,042 posts, read 17,619,092 times
I just guessing here, but I had a friend once who owned a bar and if I remember correctly, there is a license for package liqueur and a license to sell drinks. Both are/were very expensive and hard to come by. There is/was a regulation as to how many licenses could be issued in a given radius. They had to be a certain distance from each other and they had to be a certain distance from a school or church. That may not be the case now, and I do see liqueur being sold in stores right next to each other such as grocery and drug stores.

Unread 11-19-2007, 12:37 AM

11,042 posts, read 17,619,092 times
There is no shortage of places to buy liqueur in Las Vegas, but there may be no mom and pop stores for the same reason you don't see mom and pop grocery stores where Wal-Mart has taken over. Too much competition from the big boys to make a living.

Unread 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM

818 posts, read 2,440,874 times
On my block there are two mom and pop liquor stores. The Huntridge Tavern sells liquor to go and so does the Speakeasy liquor/convenience store. These places are simply convenient, much like Circle K or whatever, but for real selection and good deals, nothing beats Lee's. Actually, Lee's could be considered Mom and Pop, since it is family owned and operated.

Since Capt. has stocked up, we should convince him to throw a party!

Unread 11-20-2007, 01:19 AM

697 posts, read 2,190,367 times
this may sound bad, but walmart has great prices. 29 bucks for Grey Goose, how does that get any cheaper. Even Patron is cheaper there. 39 bucks as opposed to 56 in most liquor stores I've been in.

Unread 11-20-2007, 09:26 AM

109 posts, read 349,634 times
Default Food for Less Stores

They have great price on tequilas, get the aged (Reposado) ones!!!!

Unread 11-20-2007, 09:51 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,869,160 times
Yeah, Walmart seems to have the cheapest prices in town. That company is scary, they seem to sell everything under cost until someone goes out of biz. One thing I can say they don't sell cheap is Swimming Pool Supplies and Chemicals.

Unread 11-20-2007, 11:35 AM

359 posts, read 905,836 times
theres a place that sells hennesy timeless. really good stuff but a bit pricey. if youre looking for that, its in the 99 ranch store in the "china town" part of vegas. well i guess its politically incorrect to call it china town since theres also malay, japanese, korean, and some filipino establishments there.

funny thing was i was looking for something at that same exact store and had a weird encounter that day !

Unread 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM

15,759 posts, read 19,044,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Yeah, Walmart seems to have the cheapest prices in town. That company is scary, they seem to sell everything under cost until someone goes out of biz. One thing I can say they don't sell cheap is Swimming Pool Supplies and Chemicals.
Walmart and Sams both occasionally undersell Lee's but it is rare. Mostly a buck or two higher. You can also on occasion find Supermarket specials cheaper than Lees. I on rare occasion buy exotic scotch and champagne. Lee's is far and away the best source...often by as much as 20%.
On Drambuie for instance Lee's is generally 20% cheaper than anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas