Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 PM

307 posts, read 1,222,729 times

Advertisements

Is it illegal for someone who write "Yard Sale" on a cardboard and put it on someone's else fence (corner of the street, etc?)

I am not sure if this applies to my question?

Article I Application Procedure
17.12.010 Permit required.
(A) It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to:
(1) Place any ground-supported advertising sign or to paste, print or in or in any manner whatsoever place or attach to any building, fence, gate, bridge, rock, tree, board, structure or anything whatsoever; or
(2) Rest or lean against any motor vehicle or trailer or, except as provided in Subsection (B) of this Section, to affix to any motor vehicle or trailer, except a commercial vehicle which is used for the public transportation of passengers,
within the limits of any street or alley, or on private property within the setback distances herein set forth, any written, printed, painted or other outdoor commercial advertisement, bill, notice, sign, picture, card or poster, without first obtaining permit therefor from the Department of Building and Safety upon the approval of the Department of Community Planning and Development.
(B) No such permit shall be required to affix an advertisement, bill, notice, sign, picture, card or poster to a vehicle if such advertisement, bill, notice, sign, picture, card or poster does not:
(1) In the case of a motor vehicle, tend to impair the vision of an operator thereof, does not project more than two inches from either side or beyond the front or rear bumper of the vehicle or extend more than six inches above the roof or cab thereof; or
(2) In the case of a trailer, does not extend more than two inches from either side or either end thereof or the height of which does not exceed six feet above the surface upon which the trailer is resting.
(C) Nothing in this Section shall be construed as to prevent the posting or maintaining of any notices required by law to be posted or maintained, the placing or maintaining of street or highway signs, or signs used to advertise business conducted on the property where the sign is erected, provided the structural details are approved by the Department of Building and Safety.
(Ord. 3124 § 1, 1984: Ord. 233 § 2, 1938)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,460 times
Technically it is against city code, but if the yard sale is only for a weekend and only happens once or twice a year, you might want to just let it go so long as the sign is taken down by Monday. If they keep having yard sales, that is also a code violation (people are allowed 2 per year) and you can report this to Code Enforcement 229-6615 or online at Las Vegas, Nevada (Official City of Las Vegas Web Site)

Without these signs, it's tough to get anyone to come to your yard sale, so IMO the good neighborly thing to do is to allow it as long as it's taken down quickly after the sale and your neighbor isn't abusing their yard sale privilege

Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,460 times
Here's what I found about putting signs on public property.

Can I post signs on utility poles and/or other devices in public right-of-ways? No, signs shall not be placed on public property, right-of-way, utility pole or device. All signs are required to have a sign permit issued from the Planning Department 229-6301.

But I think this is mainly to stop this type of activity:

Old 02-09-2008, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 13,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Without these signs, it's tough to get anyone to come to your yard sale, so IMO the good neighborly thing to do is to allow it as long as it's taken down quickly after the sale and your neighbor isn't abusing their yard sale privilege
I HAVE THESE SIGNS NEAR MY HOUSE EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. IN THE TIME I'VE LIVED HERE I HAVE SEEN MAYBE 2 PEOPLE RETURN TO REMOVE THEIR SIGNS. IT SHOULD BE BANNED AND ENFORCED. TOO MANY PEOPLE IN LAS VEGAS DO NOT DO THEIR JOBS. THEY DRIVE AROUND IN A NICE VEHICLES THAT WE PAID FOR AND DO NOTHING BUT WASTE GAS AND TAX MONEY. I SEE CITY BYLAW INSPECTOR PICKUPS DRIVE BY ALL THE TIME AND THEY DO NOTHING. I HAVE EVEN FILED REPORTS ONLINE AND THE PROBLEM GETS WORSE. IT'S LIKE THEY'RE GETTING IN MY FACE ABOUT IT.

DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE POLICE OFFICER INCREASE REQUEST AND THE TAX HIKE WE ENDURED FOR IT. TAKE A DRIVE SOME EVENING AND YOU WILL SEE NO POLICE ON THE STREETS. ME THINKS SOMETHING FISHY IS GOING ON WITH OUR PROPERTY TAX REVENUES.

Have a nice weekend.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
so your complaining about a sign on a pole or a fence?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
so your complaining about a sign on a pole or a fence?
or a cop?......and such SHOUTING....so early in the am

Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM

572 posts, read 1,683,806 times
UGH, I hate this! Chest, are you sure you weren't taking pictures here in NY .. I swear, every utility pole lately looks like that!

I actually wrote our local assemblypeople about making a law that they needed to be removed. They couldnt be bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Here's what I found about putting signs on public property.

Can I post signs on utility poles and/or other devices in public right-of-ways? No, signs shall not be placed on public property, right-of-way, utility pole or device. All signs are required to have a sign permit issued from the Planning Department 229-6301.

But I think this is mainly to stop this type of activity:

Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 8,154 times
wow i really need to get in touch with these people concerning the enforcement of yard sales. i put my daughters bassinet in trash because it pretty much was, and these Mexicans next door took it out of my trash, cleaned it up and now is currently sitting outside in their yarda sale.. i just dont know what to do anymore this isnt the first instance of this, there was a big screen tv involved orginally. but they take our trash and put it in their yard sale that goes on at least 3 times a week every week ALL year long .... someone help me i just dont know what to do anymore- lasvegaslocal LVL702

Old 04-17-2010, 12:14 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,633 times
North Las Vegas is very strict on how often a residence can have a yard sale and where to post signs. Not sure about Las Vegas, but I bet they have something on the books too. I would be calling code enforcement on Monday.

On the plus side you seem to be lucky enough to live in an HOA free area.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romero View Post
ME THINKS SOMETHING FISHY IS GOING ON WITH OUR PROPERTY TAX REVENUES.

Have a nice weekend.
what revenues, property taxes are so cheap here you should be happy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas