Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,220 times

Advertisements

Well, the pool expenses keep adding up. Last month, there was a leak around the equipment area and my pool guy eventually replaced the bottom half of the filter unit as it had a crack in it. Then yesterday morning my sister-in-law called to tell me she was in the kitchen and heard an explosion. She ran outside and the filter unit had exploded, twisting the metal retaining strap into a pretzel and sending the top half of the unit into the neighbors yard and flooding our backyard with water. My neighbor thinks that the pool guys did something wrong when they repaired the filter unit earlier. I thought there was a pressure relief (like on a hot water heater) but apparently not. Thank God no one was standing near the thing when it went.

So the pool guys came out and said they had never seen anything like this and took pictures to discuss with the manufacturer. They are going to get back to me. Hopefully this will be resolved before my pool turns green. BTW, this filter unit is only two years old. I had an old diatomacious (sp?) earth unit that worked, but got talked into this one. Anyway, AA702 - you might be hearing from me if this turns out poorly. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Sounds like your old D.E. filter was replaced with a new cartridge filter system. Usually they are replaced with a Pentair, Hayward or Jandy 4 cartridge system. If this unit is only 2 years old, having the bottom tank crack and leak is rare at that age. Usually the culprit is the filter cartridges have not been cleaned in a while and the pressure is so high the tank started to split at the weakest point. This is common with filter tanks that have some age and is usually under the sun shine all the time so the protective gel coat is damaged. Usually the warranty is only 1 year, but in some cases its 2 years. If you think he has not been cleaning the filter then I would ask him to replace the filter tank unless the manufacturer give you a new one.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
....my sister-in-law called to tell me she was in the kitchen and heard an explosion. She ran outside and the filter unit had exploded, twisting the metal retaining strap into a pretzel and sending the top half of the unit into the neighbors yard and flooding our backyard with water. My neighbor thinks that the pool guys did something wrong when they repaired the filter unit earlier. I thought there was a pressure relief (like on a hot water heater) but apparently not. Thank God no one was standing near the thing when it went...
This is scary!!! I'm about to move into a house with a pool... were there any warning signs that something was wrong with the thing and could explode?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:16 AM

687 posts, read 1,945,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Sounds like your old D.E. filter was replaced with a new cartridge filter system. Usually they are replaced with a Pentair, Hayward or Jandy 4 cartridge system. If this unit is only 2 years old, having the bottom tank crack and leak is rare at that age. Usually the culprit is the filter cartridges have not been cleaned in a while and the pressure is so high the tank started to split at the weakest point. This is common with filter tanks that have some age and is usually under the sun shine all the time so the protective gel coat is damaged. Usually the warranty is only 1 year, but in some cases its 2 years. If you think he has not been cleaning the filter then I would ask him to replace the filter tank unless the manufacturer give you a new one.
It's a paradox. I got the bottom half last month at no cost - only labor. Obviously the pool guy had to handle the four filters - so would have seen if they needed cleaning. Not sure what the brand is - it's a big gray plastic container that looks like one of those smokers only with a pressure gauge on top.

As far as a warning - pretty sure the pressure gauge on top showed high pressure, but my sister-in-law would never realize that. In any event, the pool guy comes once a week and might have noticed something. I don't think you have to worry about an event like this - it's gotta be rare. What's not rare is how much money you will end up spending on your pool. If I figure out how much I have spent on the pool, divided by the number of times I have actually been into the pool. It comes out to about a thousand dollars a dip. Now, once I move into the house full-time I hope to bring that figure down considerably.

I have replaced everything in and on the pool - pump, filter, deck, lights, cleaner system, gunite. Just waiting to see what can go wrong next! Good luck with your pool.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:26 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Your pool has a lot of features that ends up costing you more in the long run. I think once everything is replaced then you shouldn't have to worry too much. Just make sure that you have someone who can service the pool correctly and see any potential problems you may have in the future. Communication is always the key.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
...What's not rare is how much money you will end up spending on your pool. If I figure out how much I have spent on the pool, divided by the number of times I have actually been into the pool. It comes out to about a thousand dollars a dip. Now, once I move into the house full-time I hope to bring that figure down considerably.

I have replaced everything in and on the pool - pump, filter, deck, lights, cleaner system, gunite. Just waiting to see what can go wrong next! Good luck with your pool.
Good idea to rent a house with a pool then vs buy one

Old 10-17-2013, 03:36 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Good idea to rent a house with a pool then vs buy one
I have had a pool continuously for like 30 years.

Figure $100 per month. You won't be far off.

With my cover I do far less than that most years. Than I replace the cover or a filter or something and catch up.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,552 times
Might want to consider a home warranty which also covers the pool equipment. My next door neighbor and I have the same warranty company and his tank is the one with 4 filters in it. The tank sprung a leak and was replaced under the home warranty. Cost to my neighbor $60. I also have had the gas heater to my pool worked on and the warranty covered it also. No squabbling either they paid first time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas